Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On the carrying of skis around town

Poster: A snowHead
Learn to do it properly, please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, that's as heavily loaded and hanging in the air like a 6-man budget apartment after Fondue night...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, abso-bl00dy-lutely.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, titter. Mrs U nearly decapitated by a fool yesterday - skis horizontal, shoulder between bindings, zero situational awareness.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, new goggles ruined a few years ago by exact same method.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If skiing holiday makers were only allowed short carving skis, I’m sure the injury rate would decrease… Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Time for a repost of this ol' classic

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

Can I sign you up for the Oklahoma Suitcase?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, Heh. I love the Hobo - never seen that one, must give it a try.

And I love their name for 'the Local', aka the only way I'll let anyone carry their skis down the street if they're with me wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
zero situational awareness.

This is clearly the important factor...you can carry your skis in any way you want, but if this is lacking you are a damn liability!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Legend., Exactly this.

And don't forget the sharp pointy poles!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pimp sticking or fish hooking is ok in and around gondolas though right?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cacciatore wrote:
If snow loving holiday makers were only allowed snowboards, I’m sure the injury rate would significantly decrease… Toofy Grin

** slightly edited wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many pedestrians in ski resorts appear to lose all sense of situational awareness. Even without skis they will happily wander around on roads without any awareness of anything.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

And don't forget the sharp pointy poles!!!

So many numpties carrying their poles horizontal instead of with the pointy ends downwards! V annyoing, especially in crowded lift queues.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had someone put their skis down over their shoulder backwards at the exact moment is was walking perpendicular behind, I don’t know how he didn’t break my nose, it was the loudest ‘f*ck’ I have ever shouted.

Also had someone put their pointy end poles right up behind them in a lift queue, if I wasn’t wearing my goggles I’m sure I would have lost an eye that day. He got the hump with me when I slapped them down…
snow report
From what I have observed, the correct way to carry skis in town is to start drinking on the mountain at 3:30pm till the mountainside bars shut, ski down to town, immediately get another beer from anywhere that will let you in with ski gear and boots at that time, carry on drinking until you have had enough, then stagger down the high street in your boots late at night with skis in one hand and a final beer in the other.
snow conditions
JohnS4 wrote:
From what I have observed, the correct way to carry skis in town is to start drinking on the mountain at 3:30pm till the mountainside bars shut, ski down to town, immediately get another beer from anywhere that will let you in with ski gear and boots at that time, carry on drinking until you have had enough, then stagger down the high street in your boots late at night with skis in one hand and a final beer in the other.

And post on Facebook the following morning about a lost jacket/wallet/phone/skis/snowboard.
snow report
There are many reasons that it’s great to ski on zero viz or deep off-season days, since the hassle of queues and proximity to idiots is reduced. For me, one really irritating and downright dangerous trait is people waving sticks around near my face whilst walking up behind them on steps to lifts. It happens ALL the time, and is really, really tedious. You can tend to spot the people who are going to do it, fortunately, and leave a reasonable gap behind them. But as some say above, there’s often a very angry reaction when I gently push the sticks down or point out (boom tish) that they are doing it....
snow report
@JohnS4, Were you in Lavachet last night?? Very Happy Very Happy
There was a gang if us in a bar, the suspect was spotted and the whole bar was watching when he fell over the steps outside the sherpa.
Of course, we didn't cheer.....
snow conditions
I have a fair few chips in the paintwork of my van where the idiots walk through the car park without a care in the world.

Unfortunately, it's generally kids trying to manhandle their equipment with the parents not supervising well enough as they're trying to cope with their kit too.

There's a whole load of other stuff too that people tend to do when on holiday as many leave their brains at home.
ski holidays
A woman walking through the Palafour building in Tignes le Lac almost took my head off a couple of weeks ago with her shoulder hefted skis - while turning round to guffaw at something he boyfriend said.

My muttering of "for fecks sake !" resulted in her turning my way and skelping one of her other pals with her skis.

I left for a cold pint of schadenfreude............
latest report
People at loading gates who have their poles facing rearwards, who then let them flick upwards to eye level as they push through the gate. rolling eyes
snow report
Surely the catching a pole in the face on stairs and liftlines is easily solvable by not trying to get up people's back bottoms?
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, er…yes…but that’s a lot further down the steps than one might think … about 6 behind and they can still get you….
latest report
Well after reading all of those I’m still not sure what properly means ?
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Surely the catching a pole in the face on stairs and liftlines is easily solvable by not trying to get up people's back bottoms?

You are right. The proper approach is to hang back a few metres and, if required, use the opportunity to wait for your friends to catch up. The people behind you will surely give you the same courtesy.
snow conditions
Courtesy?

In the villages where we ski, much courtesy.

In the queues in the 3 Valleys at going home time: zero courtesy. In fact fistfights.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Time for a repost of this ol' classic

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

Can I sign you up for the Oklahoma Suitcase?

Still funny ... but I've never managed to master the Hobo and the Oklahoma Suitcase, while great for longer carries, just takes too long to setup.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2 wrote:
Courtesy?

In the villages where we ski, much courtesy.

In the queues in the 3 Valleys at going home time: zero courtesy. In fact fistfights.

We had the police in attendance in Cervinia (first time I've ever seen this) for the last Cable Car back to Zermatt since the queue was unexpectedly long and lots of people were worried about being stuck in Italy and the queue turned into a rugby scrum. Surprising how quickly things can go downhill with just one or two bad actors ...
snow report
Blackblade wrote:
Still funny ... but I've never managed to master the Hobo and the Oklahoma Suitcase, while great for longer carries, just takes too long to setup.

Never tried the Hobo (I just picture a pair of broken ski poles) but do like to play their the others when skiing with beginner friends. I can usually pack a briefcase before they've managed to sort their lives out Smile
ski holidays
…I am short. But I have relatively large hands. So far so good.

But hOW DO I CARRY FAT SKIS?????

I lock together the skis with the brakes and then can barely get one hand round them, if at all. That’s why all the youth seems to drag around with one ski in each hand … and doors, payment … everything becomes a pain…
snow conditions
"The Local", tips down.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:

You are right. The proper approach is to hang back a few metres and, if required, use the opportunity to wait for your friends to catch up. The people behind you will surely give you the same courtesy.

I usually find that if you have adult sized skis the length of your tips combined with their tails keeps you out of the dangerzone.....
ski holidays
@valais2, depends how far you're going? If from car up stairs, Mrs U typicall carries vertical holding by toe binding (obvs set so the "upper" ski is supported too). Otherwise, as normal on shoulders, tips down, toe bindings above shoulders. Obvs Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I do remember having my big heavy skis one on each side of my rucksack, my wife’s in one hand and my daughter’s in the other hand traipsing through La Villa on the last day. At least my daughter carried my poles

Can’t for the life of me work out why I was carrying my wife’s too?
ski holidays
@sev112, in the anticipation of getting lucky that night?
snow report
We purchased velcro straps that you go round the skis and poles and fix either side of the bindings and then make the skis easy to carry over the shoulder. Wife got them so don't know where from.
ski holidays
@No Style, easy to carry but taking up loads of horizontal space? The point of carrying tips down on shoulder is to minimise risk of smacking heads.
snow conditions
@under a new name, yes I like that ‘vertical by toe binding’ but sometimes I even find I get all flummoxed picking them up off the ground since I can’t get my hand fully round the waist. So I have to wrangle them 1 by 1. Clatter clatter bang crash curse.

The worst is when the skis spin against each other slightly after you’ve locked the brakes together - with a grinding of edges it’s like trying to manhandle the blades of an apache attack helicopter.
ski holidays
@under a new name, virtually no horizontal space, the skis are vertical like soldier carrying a rifle on a strap slung over his or her shoulder. You do have to carry the strap round while skiing but had a spare pocket so no drama.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy