Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens vs womens skis

Poster: A snowHead
Is there any real difference in performance between men’s and women’s skis?

I’m a 170cm 75kg man, which puts me on the smaller side. So I’m thinking why not try out women’s skis to see if they suit me better.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your weight and skill level have much more impact on what ski you should be on, than height.....and you are not particularly light for a Bloke.

Some Women's Skis may still follow the mantra "Shrink it and Pink it", but generally, they take account of their target market ie. They are usually lighter; less stiff; come in shorter lengths; have a tighter turn radius and have the binding mounted in a more forward position (to take into account of Female physiology).

There is no reason why you shouldn't try some, to see what you think.....but being on the smaller side will have little to do with the decision.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Henwc,

1. skis don't know how tall you are.

2. I'm 60kgs or so, 50 odd years skiing and have never contemplated womens' skis...

3. Mrs U is a bit lighter than me, 45 odd years skiing and has never contemplated womens' skis ...

YMMV. Also, you might like pink.

Also, "wimmin's" skis as far as I can determine are a marketing gimmick. Much like furry cuffs on wimmins' ski boots rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having skied both over the last couple of years, I'd say it's down to the ski character not the top sheet. So say a stockli women's ski feels like it has all the qualities of the mens ski, but the lighter head women's skis, say one of the joy series, feel very different from the e-whatever series. I preferred the men's sometimes (would take atomic maverick over maven in a similar width as felt a little more stable), was overfaced by a volkl brahma but loved the kanjo - both marketed as mens.

Down to the skier I think, and what you want from the ski. I prefer the men's top sheets usually, not a pink kinda person. I live in hope that they'll decide black and red is a good colour for women's skis this year. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
...you are not particularly light for a Bloke.
Google suggests this is true here, with the weight of a 1.7m bloke being on average 72kgs. It looks like a noddy site though, despite being 1st hit. The Health Survey for England seems more useful. Page 11 has Table 1, which puts the mean height for men at 1.755m, quite close to the OP. The mean weight of such an average bloke (Table 2) has been increasing rapidly and is 85.4Kg (2019). The 1st google result is garbage, and our average 1.75m bloke is now 85.4Kgs. So actually the OP is on the light side in 2019.

I'd expect manufacturers to be very aware of that demographic change in their customers' weight.

Whatever, the answer with skis is the same as snowboards: ride them and see.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@phil_w, Given ski manufacturers don't just make skis for the average Englishman - but worldwide. So I still think that 11.8 stone is not particularly light for a bloke.....But Womens' skis are not just about weight, but strength, muscle mass and physiology.

Then, I wonder if the weight of the average skier matches that of the overall average. Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d agree 75kg is probably lighter than average for an adult male in the UK. Particularly as the average is increasing over time in the UK for all the wrong reasons.
It may well be true that the average weight of a UK skier is lighter (for both males and females) than the average in the general population though. You only have to take a look around your local supermarket to get an idea on that.

Best thing to do is decide what you want the ski to do in terms of terrain (all mountain or off piste orientated, just piste etc etc), compile a short list of skis that are popular based on reviews/ski chat or whatever (ask for advice on here if you want) and then try them out. Only one way to find out! Some skis some people love and others hate the same ski.

Some women’s skis are exactly the same ski as the men’s version but have a different top sheet and are available in shorter lengths, so for example the men’s ski length in that brand/model might start at 172 length but the women’s version of the same ski (but with a different name usually) starts at 160 length.

Sometimes the women’s ski is a softer flex but you can also get some very stiff women’s skis as well.
I think the main reason they offer a women’s ski is the top sheet on a men’s ski does not always appeal to some women and also as women are generally shorter in height than men on average it makes sense to offer a shorter length.

So try a few out and buy the ski that makes you happy!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-04-23 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread is making me feel very fat.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, I work with a lot of men aged 20-45, none of them are what you would call fat but I’m pretty sure none of them weigh 60kg.
I’d say 75kg or more but maybe that’s because they have a fair bit of muscle on them and are over 175cm tall.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
but I’m pretty sure none of them weigh 60kg.

I agree with that. I'm around 64kg (5'10") and seldom see blokes at this weight. I keep reasonably fit, have been skiing a long time and never felt the need to use Women's skis - There are enough Men's skis that are not overly stiff to choose from.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, definitely, plenty of men’s skis to choose from for the OP yes.
If he tells us what he wants I’m sure we can come up with some suggestions between us all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Henwc, I'm 60kg and 170cm. Plenty of great skis out there. Ladies skis softer, shorter and possibly a different boot centre point. Never felt the need for ladies skis on snow. Comparing Mrs Skis Volkl Auras with my (recently retired) Mantras, the Auras felt a bit softer, bit more civilised and a bit less exciting. Both the same length anf model year, and both mounted tele. OTOH for dryslope racing we all use Ladies' SL skis.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have tried my wife's skis (I'm 85 kilos), top end Atomic Cloud whatever number, they are very easy to ski, easy turn initiation and quite good edge grip when it was icy. No where near the same level of performance as my Racetigers but still a very accomplished ski. I could quite happily teach on them as they are so effortless.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris_n, totally different target demographic hence different performance.

You are all over thinking it. Given that the typical ski has about 7-9cms difference between sizes and is variously "sized" on weight, height, hair colour, preferred pronoun .... yeah, it's all dangly bits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, what I am actually saying is that they are a very accomplished ski and for many people in most situations on piste they will perform very well. I'm sure they would be even better if I was 10 kilos lighter Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Chris_n, lease don’t het me wrong! I was not at all suggesting they weren’t lovely ski! Happy
latest report
Thanks all for the helpful comments I won’t go out looking for a woman’s pair but if something comes up in a sale then I might consider it.
latest report
@Henwc, …we have skis coming out of our ears here since we know people in the industry and my partner and two groms (now 17 and 19) have skied since they were two years’ old.

I am 170 and 126 lbs or 57 kg.

I have men’s skis. And I have the following women’s and youth skis:

Women’s Kenjas - 163cm stiff, 90 waist, sidewall skis, full metal layer. These are seriously aggressive skis.

Women’s Ripstick 94 W - 162 94 waist. Soft but precise ski.

Salomon Mai Tai 155 park skis - 86 wide sidewall twin with carbon stringers; exactly the same build up as the men’s Suspect.

Volkl pearl 155 park skis - 86 wide sidewall twin, stiff and precise but usefully longer radius than Mai Tais - seems identical to men’s versions.

Volkl Mantra Youth 158 - both 2018 full rocker and 2022 rocker versions. Just love these - no metal, don’t need it. These are stiff, precise sidewall skis.

May note that my 17 year old son also has Faction 2 Youth sidewall skis which are torsionally stiff and INCREDIBLY flexible skis…boing!! 102 waist. He’s 172 and 53kg and I can tell you these things really flex madly. But he skis them like they are 69mm waist GS skis.

I think all this says that ‘how you ski and how you ski them…’ which had been mentioned above is exactly right.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@phil_w,

Then, I wonder if the weight of the average skier matches that of the overall average. Puzzled

Well the agates person has less than two legs
snow report
@sev112,
fewer rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thanks all,

In answer to the how I ski question. I tend to prefer skiing on piste, in control. I prefer to be turning all the time with a variety of turn shapes depending on the conditions. I'm not a big fan of going in a straight line without edges engaged. I also like to be playful with the snow conditions i.e I don't like to just put on a large heavy ski and rip over the top of all the snow (I can do this but it isn't really what I enjoy most). I usually end up skiing relatively slowly compared to my level, doing short turns with plenty of rotational separation. I also enjoy a bit of freestyle so I prefer twin tips.

I enjoy off piste but I prefer a proper route away from the lifts and will avoid the tracked out stuff on the side of the piste. This means I don't do it unless I'm with an instructor so I spend most of my time within the markers.

The type of ski I like is an all mountain freestyle ski, however I'm not sure if these really exist.

On my next trip (Saas Fee after Easter) I'm taking my mens Armada Halo twin-tip skis in 176cm. These have a sidecut (relatively short radius), a big rocker and a lot of flex for butter tricks and easier landings (especially switch). These are also pretty light and tend to go ok in soft snow if I get the chance. These skis seem to suit my style.

Another thread has brought me to the conclusion that I should stick with the Armada Halo skis for now. I often see the women's versions of the kind of skis I like quite cheap on eBay and I was thinking why not get a pair when the time comes.
latest report
@Henwc, tbh I think you'd be somewhat better off identifying a sensible and appropriate pair of mens/ungendered skis - won't have to deal with quite so much marketing puff
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy