Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I had a couple of hours pootle at MK on Saturday, my boots were uncomfortable at time, but the next day, boy did my feet and calves ache. Last time I skied properly, was March 22 and they were ok, but not great.

The boots in questions must be 11-years at least now and supplied and fitted by Solutions for Feet and I was very very happy with them for years. Just beginning to wonder that in the last few years (and with 2 years out with pandemic) my skiing style, feet, weight Embarassed and body have all changed to be causing issues.

In particular over the last 5-years I've taken up running and my calf muscles are a lot bigger than before - I do suspect that this didn't help with soreness and general fit.

Given my 1-week a year trips now, and more cruising style, I'm almost tempted to get to Decathlon and get some boots there, or just rent now?

Any thoughts, suggestions, abuse welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boris, Are you sure it's down to your boots and not just from a lack of use of your ski muscles? I'm also not sure how good an analogue the snowdome is in this situation – I mean, it's similar to skiing on a mountain, but there are a lot of differences. Using a drag lift for a long time can make your legs ache, and skiing indoors means that you are doing this a lot compared to a mountain, with only a couple of turns in between each use.

The boots probably haven't seen that much use, so why not take them back to CEM and see if he can make some adjustments?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wot @Scarlet, says. doesn't sound to me like a boot issue
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buying off the shelf (at decathlon or elsewhere) or renting is almost certainly going to result in a poorer fitting boot.

Probably more to do with not having skied for 2-3 years. Maybe new liners and minor adj with Solutions for Feet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, calf muscle size and flexibility is going to be the biggest contributor to these issues
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CEM, thank you - although room for improvement, I don't think my flexibility is too bad, due to stretches I do for running etc. Is there much which could be done to adjust for change in calf size?

Prior to Easter trip am going to make an effort to make sure I'm wearing them more to get used to them again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
@CEM, thank you - although room for improvement, I don't think my flexibility is too bad, due to stretches I do for running etc. Is there much which could be done to adjust for change in calf size?

IME. It takes a lot to significantly change calf size.

Using a roller on your calves is as important as stretching....but painful!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
I'm almost tempted to get to Decathlon and get some boots there, or just rent now?

Due to lack of planning and unsure if their feet were still growing we bought our teenagers 17 & 15 boots from Decathlon. It was a bit of a faff trying them in the shop, get an order in to get the full comparison of sizes and then return some. They are OKish in terms of fit/comfort. The biggest thing I noticed that the ones for my son is that the inners get incredibly wet and take an age to dry out. Think we'll go to S4F in the Autumn to do it properly.

Sounds like you've done 8-9 weeks in yours. Would have thought they would still have life in them. I am sure S4F could advise better if you took them in though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, change your calf size, no not a lot, change to boot to accommodate it yes easy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Using a roller on your calves is as important as stretching....but painful!

This, too - I use the heel of one foot to find and jiggle the trigger points in the opposite calf. Or shell out for a sports massage - but yes, can be very painful indeed!

And do you stretch both calf muscles? The stretch you do with a bent leg is often neglected.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, Sounds like you want an excuse for a trip to see CEM, Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, yes plenty of calf stretches and rolling - all help with the knee issue!

@boredsurfin, Yes seems a trip may be in order. I've worked out I can move the buckles to give 'more' room easily enough as two positions. Also looks like the flexibility can be reduced easily - although of course I've lost the plugs which came with the boots!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have stopped using the SnoDomes because I can never get my boots comfortable.
I think it's one (or more) of:
- Doing the boots up as if it was day 4 of a holiday (ie: nice and firm for my natural ski position, but at a time when I'm more tentative on the first run
- Muscles are out of shape so I end up over compensating
- The runs take a matter of seconds to complete, compared to a matter of seconds on the average blue/green starter slope in resort
- The snow is "stickier" than natural snow so my technique/stance changes accordingly outside of my normal skiing stance
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BUMP

Well as a little update - as we're off this Friday, I left it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late to actually sort anything out Laughing Tried a couple of pairs at Ellis Brigham yesterday but nothing really grabbed me.

So working at home in my boots today to let feet re-adjust. May see if there's anything when I'm out there but these will do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boris, pit your skis on the floor in front of the TV and click-in the binding - puts you in the correct posture and the skis/bindings hold the boot heel down so you can flex the boot properly.
latest report
@spyderjon, Puzzled what difference does the presence of a TV make?
latest report
latest report
bending at the knees but keeping your torso upright-ish looking ahead (at the TV which is usually lower than stood straight up head height!), at a guess
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

relieves the boredom whilst doing it.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Does the TV need to be switched on?
latest report
Some comedians round here rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
pam w wrote:

Ahhh that's why Mrs B likes a TV in the bedroom Embarassed
snow report
@Boris, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Laughing
ski holidays
Well I’m glad I saved my money, old boots have been fine Laughing
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
pam w wrote:

Ahhh that's why Mrs B likes a TV in the bedroom Embarassed

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
11 years old?
I'd say that's a good long life and due for replacement....

My 9ish year old Atomic Hawx 120s 'blew up' at Whistler after 1 day skiing... I tried them on at home in Bangkok as they hadn't been used since pre-covid. Seemed ok but well... see pics below. Thailand heat and humidity is brutal on plastics.

Used the stock OEM liner on the new Techica Mach1 while getting shell punched out to fit over a few days, but went back to zipfits asap...

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy