Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide: Ski Miquel Baqueira or Montgenerve?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We have narrowed down our Jan 24 group holiday to either Baqueira or Montgenevre (Chalet Elise). We are an adult group of 18 skiers, all upper intermediate standard. We are meeting soon to discuss which to choose, so I'm looking for a few opinions!

We were at the Saalbach Miquel chalet last year, and LOVED the guiding, so that's what would draw us back to the company. We went to Champoluc this January, luckily with snow that week, and LOVED how quiet it was, but a couple of the gang didn't really like the long trek to get to the other areas. We do like a good mix of cruisey blues, some steeper reds, and the odd black thrown in. Some like a bit of a play off piste, near the edges though. We all really enjoyed being ski in at Champoluc, neither of the 2 chalets for next year would be skin/out, but the advantage of Montgenevre is we would have the whole chalet to ourselves, meaning we'd also have the guides to ourselves.

We did go to Sauzie a couple of years ago, and had a day in Montengerve, so we have skied the Milky Way recently. One of the gang thinks we covered around 70% of the area on that one day - so is it fairly limited without travelling? Other places we've been and loved... Obergurgl, Lech, Mayrhofen.

Spain is a completely new idea to us all, and the thought of something a bit different is quite a draw to me. A few aren't keen, but I'm not sure why. We aren't huge apres goers, but do enjoy a beer or 2 straight off the slopes, if there's live music event better. We usually don't venture out after returning to the chalet in the evening though.

Help, what would your vote be? Puzzled

Michele
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm definitely looking very seriously at Bacqueira-Beret next season. Just fancy somewhere different and everything I read suggests it's a resort on the up. I also like Spanish beer, food and prices! Probably going to do a hotel rather than a chalet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check if guiding is offered at Montgenèvre. French rules mean that chalet staff are not allowed to guide, that must hire a qualified instructor. They may of course hire an instructor to guide, it they may not offer guiding

I went to baqueira many years ago, it's a place I've always had a hankering to return to. When i went the Canadian company Intrawest were working with the resort and as a result it was one of the few places in Europe to order in-bounds / out-of-bounds target than on/off piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We skied Bacqueira-Beret last year and was very impressed. Great conditions - quite a big ski area and a nice change from France. If you want the Spanish experience stay down in veihla - bacqueria itself is really just apartments and hotels. Great for families and self caterers, great to have a lift on the doorstep. Need to pick your week though as some apartments are expensive but last minute deals can be done.

Ski inspired has a hotel down the mountain - worth checking out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I'd be very surprised if they offered guiding in France, although of course they might try to get around it by simply calling it 'social skiing' as SCGB have for their holidays, which is why, as leaders who would then be effectively breaking the law, my wife and I decided to part company with them after 20+ years of leading for them.

As for Bacqueira, we stayed there with Ski Miguel back in the '90s and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food, drink and atmosphere within the chalet was all great, mountains quite charming, loved the "bacon bocadillos" we could get on the hill, had to nick sachets of HP from breakfast for use therein, some challenging (for me at the time, as I'd only skiied for about four years) skiing.

Would love to go back some time, TBH. It's a long trip from here though, and when you live in a ski resort... well you know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for replies so far. I will double check with Ski Miquel about the "ski hosting" in France, as it's part of their offering, they must have found a solution, but I'll make sure 100%.

We have around 4 vegetarians in our group (me included), so hopefully if we choose Spain there would be some veggie options available on mountain too. The rest are avid meat eaters!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@micheleperry, If you do go to Bacqueira then please come back and tell us how you found it. It is on my list to think about!

Surprised that some of your group felt it was a slog to get to the other areas of Monetrosa from Champoluc. We have been twice and did not find that the case at all. The only part that is a bit of a pain is the walk from the bottom of the black from Gressoney to the lift back to the Champoluc sector and some of my lot were also displeased with that. Easily solved by downloading on the gondola, and no loss as the "black" is not black, and mostly a boring road! Hopefully more snow next year, as it really can be the ideal of great pistes with access to all sorts of off-piste adventures.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo - we felt the same about the walk through Gressoney, but as you suggested we used the gondola down next time! I really liked the whole area, but think it might have just been the fact that to get back from far side of Gressoney and Alagna (not sure of spelling) some felt they were clock watching in the afternoons a bit to make it back with no issues. I loved how quiet the slopes were, and enjoyed the variety of runs, perhaps staying at a hotel in Gressoney might be a good solution to not having to do the same route out/back every day, by being in the middle valley.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I need to look at Bacqueira for a cheap family holiday to replace Andorra, driving from Lisbon, so watching with interest. It was a coin toss this year and we went to Formigal, which didn't work for us, so Bacqueira is in first place for next time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
I need to look at Bacqueira for a cheap family holiday to replace Andorra, driving from Lisbon, so watching with interest. It was a coin toss this year and we went to Formigal, which didn't work for us, so Bacqueira is in first place for next time.

Given the windy roads in that vicinity, you are probably going to spend as much time driving there than to Andorra.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aware of that. I want somewhere in EU so children can go by themselves and stay within mobile phone reach.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy