Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Baker WA USA thoughts for family holiday

Poster: A snowHead
We have reserved some very cheap air mile tickets to Vancouver for next Feb half term and wondering if anyone has been to Mt Baker and its suitability for a family holiday. Kids will be 12 and 9 and good piste skiiers. Wife and I have already been to Whistler and looking for an alternative, perhaps more-traditional, resort with good facilities. Happy for you to recommend any other ski areas withing a few hours of Vancouver.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next Feb half term is probably early Feb as Easter is early next year. So unlike usual I wouldn’t suggest bouncing across to Calgary/Banff as the kids might not enjoy -25C… I don’t know how far inland the other big names are.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have been there but quite a while ago (2005ish), as part of a 2-centre trip to Whistler and Baker. The mountain itself is about 20+ minute drive away from the town so factor in a daily commute. Mt Baker is certainly not a mega-resort, with loads of piste mileage, its much more about finding some nice lines of your own and thats really where the magic of the place is. When I was there the infrastructure was still a bit archaic - old 2-man rattler lifts - but it was all working and there was never a queue. Lodge there was fine, functional but you probably wouldn't be staying there even though I think there was a bit of accommodation.

We stayed back down in town, in condo lodge development about 10 min walk away which was really quite nice, we managed to get some ridiculous deal on some 4-bed place with a games room, pool table and hot tub. The town itself was small, few places alongside the road - a bar-diner, liquor store, and a couple of ski/board shops, not much more. The place was still pretty remote back then, forget mobiles - they didn't even get a TV signal, so entertainment was... limited - the local store did a roaring trade in renting DVDs.

Of course this was all a long time ago now so it's probably changed quite a bit, and personally, I really enjoyed my time there and it did leave quite an impression on me as to what I looked for in my trips to the mountains. As a family holiday, if you're a family thats into being somewhere quiet, with a back-woodsy feel, then yeah. If you're expecting something resembling a European resort, with motorway pistes, then maybe not so much. Whistler maybe better if thats the feel you're looking for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Baker for a few days last winter and it's a really cool place, but not sure that would be my pick for a family trip for a full week. The pistes/groomers are a bit limited as it's more off piste oriented. There's also not much in terms of facilities - all of the accommodation is a 30 min drive down the valley. That being said, if you're combining a few days of sightseeing in Vancouver or Seattle, then a few days at Baker and renting a nice Airbnb cabin in the woods with a fireplace and hot tub could be a lot of fun. For a full 6-7 days of family skiing though, maybe look at Silver Star, Big White or Sun Peaks. All really family friendly with villages at the base and ski in/out accommodation. They're all a long drive from Vancouver but you could fly to Kelowna or Kamloops.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both.. we are definitely looking for somewhere small, quaint, traditional to contrast our normal base in the PDS. Happy to also look at changing resorts mid week. Kids are self-sufficient on piste and may be good opportunity to gain good off-piste experience. Would prefer to avoid a daily transfer. Flights were £600+ points all-in for 4 with BA!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's definitely not a resort. You'll need to drive up everyday from Glacier which as Mr Sideways says is more of a stop on the road than a town.

Pretty rubbish for piste skiing too but that's not really the point. More or less the opposite of PdS.

For your pistes and facilities you'd be better with Big White, Silver Star or Sun Peaks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
Flights were £600+ points all-in for 4 with BA!

Dammit Janet Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Baker is an Off-piste boarding Mecca and little else. Go to Silver Star, Big White or Sun Peaks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scooter in Seattle, I'd agree, but you are looking down the barrel of a 5+hr roadtrip for each of those, when Whistler is a couple of hours up the road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apex?

Crystal Mountain?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Richard_Sideways, they’ve already been to Whistler. it’s a pretty drive and the skiing there is much more suitable for their group.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drive or, as above, short extra flight.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, Ah - brainfart - misread the OP as they were looking at Whistler... Yeah, its big drive then.
Take a day, and go look for whales in Vancouver before you hit the road and ease off the jet lag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You sort of answered it already but how did you find Whistler and are the children wanting to go more off-piste (but inbounds) in the North American sense of the word?

If they just want to stick to groomed runs than anywhere other than Whistler is likely to be limited but if they are up for some more exploration then that opens up lots more options.

If you also want to avoid a transfer every day then I do agree with the above consensus - the Okanagan resorts seem ideal. They have lots of accommadation close to the lifts; enough groomers to keep people entertained but also lots of accessible inbounds terrain as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sweaman22, Kids do easy side-pistes in PDS with me or lessons and but yet to experience a proper powder day. I like the idea of them being able to access "safe" inbounds in classes to improve their all-mountain skills.

@Scooter in Seattle, Thanks. I will google your suggestions this evening.

@Richard_Sideways, We would be very happy to split the trip and look at other acitities, given we have gone all that way and kids have plenty of opportunity to ski in France during the season.
ski holidays
I’d be looking at Silver Star or Big White. A bit manufactured in terms of the resort centre and felt a bit artificial to me but quite slopes, well groomed and plenty of mixed terrain. Should be enough Airbnb options too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy