Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Life of knee replacements

Poster: A snowHead
Talking to somebody in the gym yesterday about knees she was saying she was told she needs a knee replacement and is bone on bone. Previous injuries from horses I believe. She is very active (or was) and really struggling with swelling and pain.

She has been put of having it due to believing it will only last 10yrs (the replacement knee). Is this right? I know they don't last forever but that sounds very short. She is only 57.

She also has a friend recently had one and still really struggling at 3monts post. What is a typical recovery time?

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 months is very much early days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I personally think the current guidelines are wrong.
They try to delay as long as possible so you do not get the same knee replaced twice.
I think giving them out at 50 & replacing at 65 is much better than replacing at 60 & having to replace again when someone is nearer 80.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The UK/NHS has a history of trying to delay joint replacement surgery, preferring to stick with more conservative treatment to mitigate problems, like just not going skiing. Completely unacceptable of course wink

Anyway, even >15 years ago when my wife had hers done the perceived wisdom was that the earlier advice that they'd only last ten years before needing replacement was nonsense. And they were right, it's still fine. She's been using a Ski Mojo to ski for all of that time, mainly because the other knee's also quite damaged, so that may have helped, I guess...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just had a knee replacement 7 weeks ago and I am struggling with knee flexion. Basically I can get to 90 degrees without pain and by really gritting my teeth to 100. Still insufficient for cycling. The physio doesn't think it will get much better. The surgeon said that was because I delayed getting the replacement for too long letting scarring build up (I blame Covid). So my advice would be don't delay getting the replacement done.

The 10 year life span may have been in place in the past but now it is 15-20 years https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-treatments/surgical-procedures/knee-replacement
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Really appreciate these answers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, It’s a good six months before you’re fully recovered.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, Persevere and keep icing if it’s swelling. 7 weeks is very early days. I kept notes - it was 5 months before I got max flexion- 140 degrees which is not far off my ‘good’ knee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RUGBY PETER, Thanks for those words. it has lifted my spirits somewhat. I will persevere with the elevation and icing. The joint is swolen and warm to touch.

At the moment I'm having a lie down totally exhausted after only a couple hours sawing and spliting logs, a task that before the operation wouldn't have bothered me at all. Oddly, my blood pressure is down and my resting heart beat up (only a little bit).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it were my friend, I would tell them to get fixed right away. I had a friend who was “waiting“, and while he was waiting, he got cancer. He died four years later, limping all the while. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does the amount of exercise and strain the knee is put under affect how long a replacement knee joint lasts?

As for recovery time, mine was 5 or 6 months in before inflammation went and it started to feel OK. Sticking with the rehab exercises, icing and elevation is vital.

Straightening the leg, aiming to lie it flat on the floor, is also important in the early stage, I was told. I found that tougher than flexion.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
If it were my friend, I would tell them to get fixed right away. I had a friend who was “waiting“, and while he was waiting, he got cancer. He died four years later, limping all the while. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

The lost of fitness while waiting can be just as much a problem.

For any issue that’s progressing, it’s always better to fix it as early as possible. (except when the risk of the treatment out weighs the impairment).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are 3 questions to ask yourself:

1) Are you on permanent pain relief medication
2) Does it keep you awake at night?
3) Does it affect your normal everyday life

If all 3 then then get it done, if not then I would certainly consider putting it off. It is a big, big surgery with a difficult, painful and sometimes a worse outcome than hoped for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
There are 3 questions to ask yourself:

1) Are you on permanent pain relief medication
2) Does it keep you awake at night?
3) Does it affect your normal everyday life

If all 3 then then get it done, if not then I would certainly consider putting it off. It is a big, big surgery with a difficult, painful and sometimes a worse outcome than hoped for.

Actually, a lot of people do it even when the answer to all 3 were “no”.

They do it to ski/bike/hike.

(Or I supposed for some “normal everyday life” includes ski/bike/hike).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In that persons case she could answer yes to all 3 but was still concerned. Will relay all these answers when I next see her. Thanks again
latest report
I thought ice was currently out of favour except immediately after injury? RICE is out, now we all like PEACE and LOVE wink
ski holidays
If i put a knee replacement in today there is a 85% chance it will last 25Yrs.
That might not be enough for everyone on here, but certainly would for many!
Jonathan Bell
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, Good to know. Do the latest ones give a greater angle of movement that they used to? My wife's is now around 15 years old and IIRC the maximum angle was 110-120 degrees, or maybe that was just all she was able to achieve rather than a limitation of the replacement. I'm going to need one in the next years, I'm sure, but have been putting it off perhaps as a result of that - I can currently get both ankles all the way back to my bum, albeit slightly painfully with the 'bad' one, and would really like to not have to sacrifice that, IYSWIM.
snow report
Quote:

My wife's is now around 15 years old and IIRC the maximum angle was 110-120 degrees

I my dreams I would love to get that amount. after 10 weeks of painful rehap I managed 3 degrees from straight and 100 degrees bend for the first time yesterday. I'll keep trying and hope to be able to cycle again.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc,

I typically aim to get 120.
Many of my patients get back to skiing on/off piste/touring.
120 allows you do most things without restriction.
It is possible to achieve more flexion but to aim for that it
would tempt making the knee “looser” in flexion which could lead to instability.
The only way to deal with an unstable knee is to revise the whole thing.

So it comes down to choices.
Yes you can have more flexion but there is a slight risk that you end up an unstable.

There was a marketing ploy some years ago for “high flexion “ knees. It was just a marketing strap line and not much more

Jonathan Bell
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

My wife's is now around 15 years old and IIRC the maximum angle was 110-120 degrees

I my dreams I would love to get that amount. after 10 weeks of painful rehap I managed 3 degrees from straight and 100 degrees bend for the first time yesterday. I'll keep trying and hope to be able to cycle again.

Be very vigilant to get swelling down if it is persistent. Ice. Compression sleeve.
Take enough analgesia that you can push the flexion exercises.
If you are not progressing at 3-5 degrees per week talk to surgeon about a manipulation.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, Thanks. I'm thinking that I'll probably just go for another arthroscopy 'shave' then. Previously had an ACL replacement and open-wedge osteotomy (9 degrees), but there's more osteoarthritis building up on the inner side despite this, I'm pretty sure. Attempts to regenerate cartilage with microfractures during the previous surgery didn't work.

Need to find the time and the required circular tuits to go see a surgeon again. Do I try to get it done before next season? A rhetorical question, of course.
snow conditions
Arthroscopy is rarely helpful if the knee already arthritic.
I’d be cautious about having it done
ski holidays
@Jonathan Bell, Hmmm. Was reading up a bit about unicompartmental replacement, which might be an option for me, with OA on just one side of the joint. Seems to be less invasive, quicker recovery, less post-op restriction of movement. Anyone here had it done?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy