Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plantar fasciitis

Poster: A snowHead
Not really a ski injury, but an injury that is interfering with skiing…

When not in the mountains, my main cardio training is running. I run in “proper” running shoes and change them out every 5-700km. Current shoes have 300 and <100km on them (2 pairs). My usual mileage (sorry mixed units coming) is of the order of 15-20km per week.
Over the summer, somehow I would up running 100km in a smidge over 3 weeks. And now the sole of my left foot hates me. I’m pretty sure I’ve developed plantar fasciitis.

I foolishly tried to run through it. Got to the point where I could barely walk if I’d been running as the foot was so sore. Ibuprofen helped but I was rubbish at remembering to take it. I then stopped running completely for 5 weeks.

After that the foot felt like it was better and since I was slowly going bananas I reintroduced some low volume running, say 2x5km runs in a week. And set the foot off again. Grrr.

So my questions are:
Is it likely to be worth paying a physio to have a look at it?
Am I doing more harm by keeping running?
How do I know when it’s really gone away?

(When it’s really bad it didn’t like being in ski boots either)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I recently got over a bout of it...

I received a bollocking after my regular physio sorted it. The bollocking basically told me to:

a) stretch and roll calfs and lower legs
b) get a blade tool and scrape the bottom of your foot, achilles and the whole area aggressively
c) roll the foot out on a ball

I'd also add that proper physio work and dry needling probably had the most impact. Dry needling (not to be confused with acupuncture) really is extremely effective for all sorts of muscle issues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KNoceros, Go and see a physio and do the exercises you’re given, religiously. It’s well worth the investment. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 4-10-23 9:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can only endorse what others have said and see a physio. At one time I was a regular 70 miles a week person and developed it.
No amount of rest would cure the issue it always returned.
When I eventually got to see a physio they administered a Cortisone injection in the heel , some exercises and rest . I started running again after 3 months and fortunately it never returned.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as above
My physio recommended one of these (foot massage roller)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235181864200?hash=item36c1ee7508:g:iO4AAOSw-LZk9zsv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNyG583LMrlkOLU0SRX64xJqaRsZ4zqXWZu4sQSI25h5AMwGRAbTHq7fLO786URvRuWSA6ttbHA8kIUD7VqUTroxMhIXpMRhIlW2DZpEFIZAS%2BtavxYfQGIONKa26Or8dBFLXDlejvXuGK8b15WXIYTkPxpjIZmDYBYfouafuPnZKMayqPSXx1PyKjcKyl3w%2FuReIsFKPutVCDeko3y%2BfZ3OcdW02jgCq%2Bl17U4gXWZzmWTrjBrc63veOIKSsF10YQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SLip7fYg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What @albob has said.

I had it a year or 2 ago, and after a lot of time waiting for he doctor I bought one of those.

Worked a treat and I am now pain free again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. I did think that this was heading to the physio.

So, next question. How does one go about choosing a physio? Other than being registered, what should I be looking for? (Probably going to open my wallet rather than go via the GP).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
as above

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235181864200?hash=item36c1ee7508:g:iO4AAOSw-LZk9zsv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNyG583LMrlkOLU0SRX64xJqaRsZ4zqXWZu4sQSI25h5AMwGRAbTHq7fLO786URvRuWSA6ttbHA8kIUD7VqUTroxMhIXpMRhIlW2DZpEFIZAS%2BtavxYfQGIONKa26Or8dBFLXDlejvXuGK8b15WXIYTkPxpjIZmDYBYfouafuPnZKMayqPSXx1PyKjcKyl3w%2FuReIsFKPutVCDeko3y%2BfZ3OcdW02jgCq%2Bl17U4gXWZzmWTrjBrc63veOIKSsF10YQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SLip7fYg

Very much recommend this roller.. Sorted out my PF without the need for Physio
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How does one go about choosing a physio? Other than being registered, what should I be looking for? (Probably going to open my wallet rather than go via the GP).

Definitely open your wallet. But physios are not expensive (my bloke charges £50 and is a great sports therapist). Ask around - a personal recommendation is best.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
KNoceros wrote:
Thanks all. I did think that this was heading to the physio.

So, next question. How does one go about choosing a physio? Other than being registered, what should I be looking for? (Probably going to open my wallet rather than go via the GP).

Are you in a running club or do you have friends who run? Ask them. Where do you live? Someone on here might be able to recommend some one. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NeddySkiGoon, Not in a club just a solo pavement plodder.
I’m in North West Leicestershire.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy a handheld pulsating massage gun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KNoceros, Have you tried your ski boots on yet?
I suffered from it a few years ago and it hurt a lot walking, but I was fine in a ski boot.
It lasted about 7 weeks.
Get well soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KNoceros, I feel you, I am slowly rehabbing from it

Defo get professional advice. Don't agonise over what physio. It's a common ailment, they will nearly all be familiar

The problem is that running through it can make it much worse, as you have found out, but it's one of those injuries where rest doesn't help it either. Activities of daily living (ie being on your feet) aggravate it.

After few days rest just to take the heat out of it, you just need to run 20% of your normal distance at pisstakingly slow pace, on pancake flat ground, and very slowly (over months) build back up

And that foot roller is brilliant. Very hard to do it properly with tennis ball (too soft) or hockey ball ,(too hard)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife has bought some Hoka sliders seems to be helping a lot on top of the physio , icing etc

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hok1983/hoka-ora-recovery-slide-3-~-ss23/?_cur=1&utm_campaign=uk-unpaid-shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=Hoka+Ora+Recovery+Slide+3&utm_term=Hoka+One+One&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-p-41pXdgQMVDLrtCh0aQwoLEAYYBCABEgKRpfD_BwE#sku-hok1983
latest report
@KNoceros, just Google (other search engines are available) Physiotherapist Leicestershire, check a few reviews of practitioners in your area, choose one and make a appointment. Then do the exercises prescribed, religiously. snowHead
snow report
If all else fails you can get an injection for it, your doc should be able to sort that out, in my case tho as the physio is in the docs practice he can do them as well.
snow report
Thanks all. Got an appointment next week, although rolling it is helping massively.
latest report
@KNoceros, are you doing any running? Need to start doing some low volume light running. At this stage though probably wait for your appointment next week
ski holidays
You can stretch your calves effectively by building a wedge out of a short plank and something under the other end. Stand on it with your toes up while you are standing vertical for 5 minutes a couple of times a day. Balance boards also work. Plantar fasciitis socks work (the weird ones you wear at night).
The injection is apparently the most painful you can have.
I am a GP and these things have worked for my patients.
Rest is good.
The underlying problem is tight calves causing the foot to flex oddly in most cases.
Start back gently.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
as above

I've bought one of these rollers, however it came with zero info. Presumably sitting rolling under the heel, how much do you use it? Any tips?
snow report
When you work from home - don't do what I did and walk bare foot on hard floors. Developed bad PF - did exercises wisely mentioned above + bought pair of Birkenstocks to wear around house - really helped.
ski holidays
Have really high arches and have had pf on and off for 20 years!

Early days I struggled to walk in the morning, proper custom orthotic insoles, I used a guy in Portsmouth who did loads of premier league football boots!, I was pain free in 2 days .

As above bare feet for extended periods or stupid (v. Flat!) shoes and it comes back but don't rule out insoles!
snow report
It's mad how much of a difference insoles can make. I had it fairly bad on and off and as soon as I put insoles in the pain stopped. Along with a little foot roller thing off Amazon I've not had any issues for years now.

I live in the desert at the moment so plenty of time spent in flip flops. I can recommend Archies. No pain using them and still in good condition after 3 plus years of 40+ temperatures.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy