Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all I currently ski Stockli Stormrider 85 in 159 length. I'm looking for an All Mountain Ski to improve my powder riding which needs work to add to my quiver. I like the Stocklis for every day but I am finding that I don't have enough stability at speed probably due to the length to be honest. I am 169cm tall and weigh 170lbs - Intermediate/Advance skier age 60. Our homebase is Megeve and we do three/four weeks a year on average.

I've skiied Stockli Stormriders since 2012 my set before was 164 with the old barbed wire decal.

Narrowing my list down has been hard but so far I have:

Nordica Santa Ana 98
Blizzard Sheeva 9 or 10 or the Black Pearl 97
Volkl Secret 96

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd like a slightly easier ride than the Stockli if I"m honest as they are hard work but that might be because they are too short!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agree with your thoughts about being too short a ski for those stats, ordinarily that would mean working your influence back and forth fairly extensively to keep the tips up in soft conditions.

If there's no overriding reasons in length decision to avoid something particular, then 170cm would seem a good start point to begin consideration.

The examples above are all good skis, personal preference likely to dictate. Any chance of testing at least a selection ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am slightly biased, but I have the Santa Ana 93 and they are my most used ski this season (I've had them about a year). They ski better on piste than my 84 wide Atomics, and have been ideal in the thin, variable snow we've had this year. I ride the 165cm, which is a couple of cm taller than I am.

I haven't tried the others except the Black Pearls. I've definitely tested the 88s recently, and possibly some fatter ones (mid 90s maybe) a few years ago. I didn't like them at all. They are nowhere near as reactive as the Santa Anas, and I found them a bit dull and lifeless.

Different people like different things, so test them if you can, but if you can't, buy the Santa Anas and everything will be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I doubt that 159 is too short for you, a quick lookup shows them to have a relatively short turn radius of ~14m depending on length, so, unless you keep them on edge, they will wiggle about a bit, on piste at higher speed (as will most skis to varying degrees) longer skis will be more stable at speed but more difficult to boss around in bumpy snow & uneven offpiste.
Try the same ski in two lengths, preferably two lenth increments apart to make the difference more noticeable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DPS Wailer 112
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks I'm going to do some tests - I am very tempted by the Santa Anas - I was looking at the 98 but I think the 93 may be a better choice as I spend most of my time on piste
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy