Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski goggle recommendations and polarised lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I think this is the first time I've asked a question on here so apologies if it has been asked before or I open a can of worms. I've been skiing six times now, once a year generally towards the end of March. Last year we went to Plan Peisey where I skied in poor weather and visibility for the first time. My ski goggles are one lens only and not photocromic and the poor visibility and light conditions spooked me a fair bit. My other half had bought a pair of photocromic ones (Bolle Laika, phantom lenses) and she found them brilliant for the differing light conditions. I'm looking at getting a pair of photocromic goggles and getting a bit overwhelmed with choice and technology/marketing and whether a polarised lens makes a difference too. My helmet is Bolle so I'm naturally inclined to get a pair from that brand. I'm a happy low levelish intermediate who is happy skiing within myself on wide blues and reds (four knee surgeries incl. ACL reconstruction and an AC joint reconstruction in the shoulder makes me play safe plus I'm not getting any younger) so don't need state of the art or a 'name' but am happy to shell out for a good pair that will cope with most conditions. Off to Montgenevre this March and Morzine next January so want to cover all bases really. Thanks in advance for your help Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do people think about SunGod™ goggles?

Any feedback? Seems to range from around £105-£170 for the goggles with lens, £20-£60 for additional lenses.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-02-23 13:02; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Polarised makes no difference as light scattered off the snow is multi point source. I've never been tempted by photochromic because I've heard they don't change quickly enough when you really need them (like a grey cloud bloking out the sun in the middle of bump run) but others seem pretty happy with them.

I've recently used Smith Chromapop lenses and the model I bought came with a good "everyday" lens (rose base tint, surface coloured mirror) and a rose stom Cat 1 lens. I think if you still don't have older age eye problems the everyday lens would probably work all the time bar the fiercest whiteouts
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMO. Bolle make good photochromic lenses. They used to be called Modulator - but are now called Phantom.

I don't think you want a fully polarised lens, as it can make ice hard to spot.....but the Phantom+ is semi polarised, which should help with glare. I think it is an NXT/Trivex lens, which is very high quality and gives extra clarity - and the one I'd recommend.

https://www.bolle.com/gb/phantom.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-02-23 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got Bolle modulator and I'm happy with it. Polarised lenses adapt a lot quicker than you could stop and change goggles / lenses.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davesm, its a bit horses for course, to get the best goggles for teh exact conditions you'd get a set with interchangeable lenses and then pick a lens for the day or carry your (case of) spare lens(es) with you.

in really bright sunlight a polarised dark lens wins and the polarised lens reduces glare, in flat light a pale pink or yellow is king, and no goggles at all is better than a dark lens.

Photochromic is a good convenience as they adapt to the light conditions and if you are going for a "one lens solution" go photochromic.

I wear glasses so use a visor helmet, with a photochromic lens, as carrying spare helmet visor with you just isnt an option.

dont get too hung up on brands and "technology" a lot is marketing smarketting, although some "advanced" etc photochromics will lighten and darken slightly quicker for a few more £££
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LaForet, i like my sungods, also have their sunglasses.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a big fan of photochromics, which I've been using for a handful of years. In the past I've had non-photochromic goggles for free, but these I paid for with my own money. I will never go back. I have had a couple of pairs, both Salomon branded. Bolle is an entirely respectable brand free from some of the marketing costs of others.

Poor light is still poor light, mind.

My own typical use-case is going from bright sunshine on a blue-sky day into a deep forest... back in the day I would have had to either stop and switch the lens (which is impractical for me), or simply push the goggles out of the way in the reduced light and squint. I no longer even notice the transitions (the lenses do take a few seconds to "lighten up", which is slower than the other transition, but you get used to it, takes a second or three). It's quite hard comparing the "transmittance range" of various brands (how light and how dark they go), as they don't all use the same units. I'd guess they are much of a muchness and probably made in the same factories. Polarization is a different dimension - I don't use that currently.

My Salomons come with a completely clear lens for night riding, but the main lens covers everything else. They're slightly less dark than ideal on maximum brightness high altitude days, but not so it's a problem. At the other end they're fine for as late in the day as I ever ride.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had photochromic ones in the past, but given interchangeable (magnetic) lenses on my current set, and the fact that I only really use them in poor conditions, preferring to stick with sunglasses in good weather, they seemed a bit unnecessary.

My wife, on the other hand, much prefers them, and has just got a new pair from decathlon, and very pleased with them she is too. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kids-adults-photochromic-all-weather-ski-goggles-g-900-ph/_/R-p-310578?mc=8648820&c=BLUE
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your helpul and informative replies. I was planning on just going down the one lens route for the rather practical reason that I have a habit of falling a fair bit so would worry about a spare lenses getting broken in my rucksack! It sounds like Bolle have a good reputation and I will check out the Decathlon ones too as I have used their cycle and run kit in the past and it has always been of good quality.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like Phil_w I am a convert. I bought some Scott React goggles. They have however been brilliant this week in the sun and in the shaded valley. The transition is unnoticeable, all I know is I can still see. Comes with a different lens (yellow) in a hard case as well. £200 from our local ski shop.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have had the bolle modulator for perhaps 7 during which time I've probably used them for 6 days and love them. They seem to react really well and are good in low light.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bolle photochomic are fantastic. 1-3 is better than 2-4 but both are great. Slight downside, but only slight, is that on a really bright day going into deep shadow they can take a second or two to adjust, slightly longer on really cold days but no longer than my eyes take anyway.

Once you go photochromic you never go back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The optical tech (I can't talk from photochromatic data) is sime. It is a bleu discontinuity that gives best in low light (EG yellow lenses) but a prizm style with a multiband will be great. I wouldnt bother with polarised.

You cant go wrong with a company that uses Zeiss lenses
https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/int/spectacle-lenses-from-zeiss/snow-goggles.html

Or Smith chromapop or Oakley prizm.

I use UVEX with a yellow lens and a darker magnetic outer layer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Bolle Modulators - I've had mine for over 7 years and they just 'work' for the majority of conditions; never had a problem with them not adapting quickly enough and the only time I swop them out for a yellow lense pair is total white out / really poor visibility

The new Bolle Phantom+ tech does look good - SkiClub GB have a 40% discount so may have a punt on a new pair . . .
latest report
@LaForet, @hobbiteater, also have sungod goggles and their sunnies. I particularly like their hi vis blue lenses, just used them for a month in Sweden when pretty much every day was low light or skiing in shadow. Thumbs up from me.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops,

Zeiss used to do brilliant sunglasses (a lifetime ago) as well - but then they seemed to pack it all in and just concentrated on ophthalmic instrumentation?
ski holidays
Yet another vote for Bolle modulators - I bought a second pair as well - just in case
latest report
Belch wrote:

The new Bolle Phantom+ tech does look good - SkiClub GB have a 40% discount so may have a punt on a new pair . . .

The Phantom+ used to be called the Modulator "Light Control".
snow report
I have had good experience with Smith I/O goggles for the last 5+ years. The every day mirror + a storm yellow lens combo seems to cover basically all weather conditions. The mag versions of these goggles are the standard nowadays and seem very easy to do a lens swap on.
latest report
mozwold wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops,

Zeiss used to do brilliant sunglasses (a lifetime ago) as well - but then they seemed to pack it all in and just concentrated on ophthalmic instrumentation?

Zeiss have a particularly good history in optical performance, even to this day. Originating in their lab's in 1935 was lens coating to reduce light reflection from glass surface that pointed the way to improve performance I understand.

Multicoating in consumer optics from Minolta, another very good lens maker, primarily on air to glass interfaces (front element in camera) then Pentax with complete assembly multicoated for all elements, and another very good optical company. All of these form what we see today in how lens transmission is enhanced.

Current goggles benefit ftom cheaper methods of coating optical acrylic substrate such that the disturbance when light travels through the lens is minimal, leaving a good contrast, acutance quality delivery to our eyes.
Most are going to be similar in Chromaxxxx naming, or whatever they call their individual product. Most are pretty high performing in comparison to older dyed in bulk acrylic lens as the coating offer such good transmission capabilities.

Its probably more that which fits you the best, along with yellow spectrum for low light and likely rose/red/magenta ish for a general purpose goggle.
snow conditions
Ive just gone down the MW (Messy Weekend) route which is a magnetic clip in duo lens (reactive bright light & yellow low light combo) - used for two trips already this year and very happy - usually have an offer of 25% off the £175 cost - take a look at:

https://messyweekend.com/collections/snow-goggles
snow conditions
@barneybill, I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but I personally don't see why anyone would need to go for a more "unknown" brand when you can find goggles from the biggest names in optics eg Oakley, Smith etc. for similar prices from the right retailer online - sure they are typically more expensive, but there are always a few reputable online retailers selling for around £150.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Belch wrote:

Went for it lol - Bolle Nevada Neo (their first swoppable mag lens model) with the Phantom+ lens - my excuse (to myself) was it comes with a free magnetic low light yellow lens in a dedicated slim case that now means more space in my pack (always carry 2x pairs of goggs) . . . Toofy Grin

£275 but with SkiClub discount £165 . . .glad cos I was just about to ditch my membership
latest report
Belch wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Belch wrote:

Went for it lol - Bolle Nevada Neo (their first swoppable mag lens model) with the Phantom+ lens - my excuse (to myself) was it comes with a free magnetic low light yellow lens in a dedicated slim case that now means more space in my pack (always carry 2x pairs of goggs) . . . Toofy Grin

£275 but with SkiClub discount £165 . . .glad cos I was just about to ditch my membership

Good Man!

I bought the Bolle Gravity with the Modulator Light Control lens for Lady F, about 7 years ago....paid around £40 for them in a sale from Shade Station (IIRC. The rrp was around £140). She has yet to use them, as has lost interest in skiing....but they make a very nice spare.
ski holidays
Just got back from Zell - Nevada Neos with Phantom+ very similar to my original Modulators in terms of colour / image clarity - bigger frame but obvs with the swappable mag lens which I did need to use on day one due to white out conditions which was excellent. . .not sure they perform any differently tbf but they do make me look younger in context with my spangly new Salomon helmet - well I think so anyway lol . . .
snow conditions
The new Julbo Skydomes are a revelation - they are brilliant in low/white light as well.
ski holidays
How much does the Luxottica near-monopoly on sunglasses affect the goggles market, anyone know? All different brands but all made in the same factory?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange200 wrote:
How much does the Luxottica near-monopoly on sunglasses affect the goggles market, anyone know? All different brands but all made in the same factory?

Wouldn't have thought it's an issue. From the Luxotica list of brands only Oakley seem to be goggles, perhaps Native has some coverage. But as Smith, Scott, Dragon, Giro, Bolle, Cebe and Julbo seem independent of them plus plenty of others I don't think it's such an issue.
ski holidays
Been tempted by photocromic as love the idea, but can't justify then at the moment.

I've just bought a cheap pair of Outdoor Master Pro goggles on Amazon for the kids, only £30 - they seem fantastic, must be something wrong with them! They do a photocromic spare lens for £40 so that might give that a go some point.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Been tempted by photocromic as love the idea, but can't justify then at the moment.

I've just bought a cheap pair of Outdoor Master Pro goggles on Amazon for the kids, only £30 - they seem fantastic, must be something wrong with them! They do a photocromic spare lens for £40 so that might give that a go some point.

Not really they are just an internet only new brand. Look at Decathlon etc for what the baseline price in goggles is and thus what you pay in brand premium and for rhe fanciest tech ( some of which works)
ski holidays
@Orange200, beleive Oakley sport tech is still made in the USA
snow report
Hi All, thanks for all the replies. I've ordered the Bolle Maddox phantom+ (out of stock for Phantom only lenses) and will get to test them in Montgenevre a week Saturday Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy