Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax for wet snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used Zardoz ? Is it any good or is there a better product please.
Very wet here in the PDS, and elsewhere too I am seeing.
Comments and recommendations gratefully received
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your bases aren’t properly structured for wet snow, a fresh stone grind will help you more than any wax or overlay. Zardoz is ok but doesn’t last long at all.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good for a few runs and then re-apply….however, I’ve no idea if it compromises ski bases in any way with overuse.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zardoz each night Very Happy https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/wax-zardoz/zardoz-notwax-pocket-puck-15g-66-detail
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crosshatch wrote:
If your bases aren’t properly structured for wet snow, a fresh stone grind will help you more than any wax or overlay.

+1 Fresh structure will help more than any wax. It's why I have a structure tool in my tuning kit. I do a little every time I work on them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can only stone grind certain number of times so I'd avoid doing that unless you absolutely have to. Could use brass brush to open the structure then wax as normal every three days and apply zardoz daily or as needed?

I just came back from PdS. Gutted I missed the fresh dump on Sat.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sibhusky, what structure tool do you use?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiVisions https://www.slidewright.com/skivisions-ski-base-flattener--structuring-tool.php

There are other tools that press in a pattern rather than cutting with a ruby stone, but it needs to be redone, I understand. I just do a few swipes of this on the affected areas, then run a cutter down the base to cut off the tops of the peaks. (This helps with glide.) I haven't stone ground a ski in years.

The other thing I've noticed in spring is that playing with different types of wax (soft, graphite, universal, fluoro, etc.) and switching to newly waxed skis after lunch is not near as effective as just waiting for the freeze/thaw cycles to produce the right size corn snow. Barring that, it's structure. Get at the right angle to look at your bases and see where they are smoothed, without any lines. Scratch that part up with SOMETHING. Then run a metal brush down a few times to clean out the existing structure well.

Spring is tough -- cold and rock hard in the AM, slowly softening, slush by end of day. Shadows crossing the trail. One wax is not going to handle all you'll run into. So I use structure and tactics, picking my trails and lighting conditions throughout the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy