Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Tunnel with Roofbox - height question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Normally, I just book for a roof box and get on with it. However, this year, being a tight grumpy Yorkshireman I didn't want to pay the extra £150 odd they wanted to charge me for the privilage. I'm now wondering if that was a bad idea since I'm not sure I'll get everything in the car without the box on the roof. For some reason, known only to Le Tunnel even without a roof box added they charged me about £20 each way more than my friends even though we booked at exactly the same time, I'm in a Volvo V90 - low - they in an Outlander - high.. Do Le Tunnel just hate Volvos?

Anyhow, the question for you guys that frequent the tunnel more frequently than I is, how much tolorance is there in the 1.85m height barrier? By my rough sums - roof box curently in storage in my mates garage - I think with the box on the roof I'll be at roughly 1.9m, so about 50mm over the hight. Is this going to be an issue?
In your experience do I:

1 - It'll be fine just go under the barrier and don't worry about taking a bit of paint off
2 - Check in as normal but then go through the "roofbox" lane and hope no one catches me
3 - Stop being a tight bug and pay for an upgrade as Le Tunnel will definately be patrolling and catch up with me
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KeithWakeley, I've never found it makes that much difference to the fare. Is it really £150 extra? Maybe this is because I always book the roofbox from the outset, and then if we decide to travel without, it isn't an issue. We did once get switched to the double decker carriage when we did this, but only so we could travel on an earlier crossing. I don't think there is that much tolerance TBH. Our Skoda Superb gets charged more than our X-trail did, but I think that is because of its additional length.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I personally wouldn’t try to get away as the potential impacts could have a significant impact upon my trip especially in light of events before christmas but that’s my attitude towards risk. They have sensors as you drive onto the train that will sound an alarm if over height. I’d do a test pack before and figure out where I stand and make the necessary arrangements.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We do it all the time - extra £20 EW for a 4x4 with a roof box. Kind of worth it as you bypass the main queue ….. not quite flexiplus but think queues shorter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pack a few 25 litre water containers (Empty them once you are in Calais) and drop the pressure on your tyres to 10psi. 50 mm saved.
If you were a proper Yorkshireman I wouldn’t have to tell you this. Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or end up being redirected onto the next available high train after paying the extra!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With the exception of skis, how much stuff are you taking that won’t fit into the boot of a V90!
We have a Lexus RX & even without anything on the roof I always duck when going under the barrier, so I guess it’s tight to what it says
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KeithWakeley, I have a roofbox/car combo that is up to 182cm tall; clearly under the 185cm restrictor. Even so I sometimes (not always) get pulled aside and asked to go in the high vehicles carriages; apparently they monitor each vehicle going under the height restrictor (not sure if CCTV or automated) and flag those that are close to the limit for additional inspection. Each time they tell me that they know I'm under 185 and there will be no extra fee, but its "precautionary".

I wonder if they worry that when you're close to the limit, if everyone gets out of the car it'll rise a few cm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've sometimes travelled with roofbox, sometimes not, over the years but don't remember any extra charge for going for height. Maybe that's changed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KeithWakeley wrote:
Hi all,

Normally, I just book for a roof box and get on with it. However, this year, being a tight grumpy Yorkshireman I didn't want to pay the extra £150 odd they wanted to charge me for the privilage. I'm now wondering if that was a bad idea since I'm not sure I'll get everything in the car without the box on the roof. For some reason, known only to Le Tunnel even without a roof box added they charged me about £20 each way more than my friends even though we booked at exactly the same time, I'm in a Volvo V90 - low - they in an Outlander - high.. Do Le Tunnel just hate Volvos?

Anyhow, the question for you guys that frequent the tunnel more frequently than I is, how much tolorance is there in the 1.85m height barrier? By my rough sums - roof box curently in storage in my mates garage - I think with the box on the roof I'll be at roughly 1.9m, so about 50mm over the hight. Is this going to be an issue?
In your experience do I:

1 - It'll be fine just go under the barrier and don't worry about taking a bit of paint off
2 - Check in as normal but then go through the "roofbox" lane and hope no one catches me
3 - Stop being a tight bug and pay for an upgrade as Le Tunnel will definately be patrolling and catch up with me

£150 does not sound right at all. perhaps call them? the 1.85 is tight and unlikely to get 1.9m. You colud of course just drive in the oversized vehicle lane once you are in the complex but IIRC they do ask if you have a roofbox or bike rack at electronic cheklin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've definitely seen a post on their website regarding charges relative to car length - the longer, the more expensive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KeithWakeley wrote:
...even without a roof box added they charged me about £20 each way more than my friends even though we booked at exactly the same time, I'm in a Volvo V90 - low - they in an Outlander - high.. Do Le Tunnel just hate Volvos?

No, they charge based on length, so your V90 at 4,936mm costs more than your friends Outlander at 4,695mm. Quite simply the longer the car the fewer cars total they can get on each train.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kettonskimum wrote:
I've definitely seen a post on their website regarding charges relative to car length - the longer, the more expensive.

Makes sense that they have capacity worked out using a 'standard' car and charge for anything over as it will eat into another car length. Although I must say I've never been on a totally full train so it makes you wonder how much leeway they allow anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, The extra charge for being overheight has come about in the past few years. We paid £15 extra each way for travelling with a roofbox at Christmas (booked through peak retreats with flexiplus).

I don't think its unreasonable given that any vehicle over 1.85 (think that's the cut off) will need to go in a double height carriage. Previously there was no charge for overheight but it was impossible to use the old flexiplus kiosk if overheight.

The Dover to Calais ferries didn't used to charge extra for overheight. Although its a while since I've travelled on them so this may have changed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KeithWakeley, I forgot to say in my post above that I definitely wouldn't book as normal height with a roofbox as you won't fit under the 1.85 height barrier.
ski holidays
https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017446517-Will-adding-a-roof-box-or-putting-bicycles-on-my-roof-change-the-price-I-pay
Quote:
Any vehicle over 1.85 meters in height, and vehicles with anything on the roof, will be unable to travel safely in the two storey section of our shuttles, so will be allocated to the single storey section. The price of a space in the single storey section of our shuttles is sometimes more than the price of a space in the two storey section.
ski holidays
Yes, I think an additional charge is perfectly reasonable - just aware that we never paid one! Never paid for Flexiplus either, so not being able to get in their carpark wasn't an issue. In fact I rarely paid anything at all, focussing on amassing Tesco Club Card points the rest of the year!
snow conditions
@snowymum, I've had my Defender (2m tall) for 12 years and I have never paid an overheight supplement on a ferry (P&O, Irish or DFDS).
snow report
When I booked a Eurotunnel today, I was automatically allocated according to vehicle and roofbox to the double height carriage. I took the roofbox off the booking and fare was £20 cheaper, but would you want to risk it? Not sure why there is a £150 extra charge, but maybe the fares are full and there is only Flexiplus available for your chosen vehicle combination
ski holidays
@Nemisis, I said I thought that was the case for the Dover ferries. However I think you'd find there would be a charge for the channel tunnel and Brittany Ferries.
ski holidays
@snowymum, I'm (almost) cheep - I haven't used the tunnel since they gave me a 50% concession many years ago - I often have a low trailer which makes it expensive compared to DO-CA ferries.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
When I booked a Eurotunnel today, I was automatically allocated according to vehicle and roofbox to the double height carriage. I took the roofbox off the booking and fare was £20 cheaper, but would you want to risk it? Not sure why there is a £150 extra charge, but maybe the fares are full and there is only Flexiplus available for your chosen vehicle combination

I think it’s obviously something so do with their dynamic pricing system. When I was looking to book on 27th December for the Feb half term it was £175 each way without roofbox, and £250 each way once I added it for exactly the same crossing time. I’ve got no issue with paying a bit more for a roof box, in the past I always have done and we drive down in summer too with roofbox and bikes, so again used to paying a bit extra. It was just the extra £150 that I thought was a bit steep.
On the ferry I usually just book as a High Car when loaded with bikes and roof box etc, it’s usually slightly more, but not loads more. I avoid the ferry for winter trips as far too much risk of storms disrupting things and it takes ages.

I think I’ll just have to slim down Mrs W’s packing a bit and shove it all in the car. As someone said up thread, there ought to be plenty of room in a V90 even with wife & 2 kids, we always seem full though!

I’ll be sticking the skis on the roof on a ski carrier, assume that’ll be fine on the normal train?

Thanks for all the responses, you convinced me not to just try & wing it and pack accordingly. Safe travels all who are heading to the mountains for Feb half term week.
latest report
drive through border etc, the just drive on oversize..... the times ive done it I have never being stopped from getting on......
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, thats a good wheeze, as the check in booths are all unmanned on ET, have never thought about doing that.

i suppose you can just say that you forgot that you had the box on the roof if you get stopped Very Happy Very Happy

though i am sure that i have had my window hangar scanned before once or twice when i have been on the train, so i presume this is to confirm you have paid the correct fee?
but i could be mistaken and having a "blonde moment" Toofy Grin
latest report
@ajc2260626, I guess you haven't travelled when there is a full train then? You will be stopping someone else from getting on who has used the system properly. I've seen people being moved from oversize lane to normal one on many occasions, even at the point of boarding the train.
snow report
@terrygasson, I generally don't carry a box on the roof as as someone has said there are more spaces if you are under the height limit, but generally when I did do it, I just breezed through..... I seem to remember if you book it early enough theres no price difference anyway

@Hells Bells, I don't really worry about that as the likelyhood of me going through and there not being any space is unlikely as like you say I don't travel at busy times...... but I have being stranded by Eurotunnel enough times not to overly worry about it as when they are running properly there's also another train in 15 - 20 mins so not the end of the world, I guess if you can get in normal height then you don't need to be in oversize anyway though right? also £20 seems a reasonable uncharge but £150 is taking the proverbial........

@KeithWakeley, where in Yorks are you travelling from?
snow report
@KeithWakeley, where in Yorks are you travelling from?[/quote]

@ ajc2260626

Travelling from Penistone. Down to Ashford Thursday after work, start at the Premier Inn then train Friday morning, stopping just outside Grenoble Friday night then hopefully miss the traffic this year and up to AdH early Saturday.
snow conditions
@KeithWakeley, Ah, fond memories of the Penistone Paramount on some October half term trips!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are waiting to board at the tunnel. Only running one train an hour atm due to ‘earlier timetable disruption’ so although here at 07.20 we are still on the 09.20.
Checked the dog in, and asked there if we had anything on the roof - yes skis - so an additional charge of £21 which we paid at the Pet check in. That dog and her belongings.
In the bigger car too, we will see if we can jam them in the car on the way back. We got them in the Mini in December.
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:
@KeithWakeley, Ah, fond memories of the Penistone Paramount on some October half term trips!!

The Paramount is great, and still going strong. Being able to go to the cinema, have a beer and have an interval is so much more civilised than the big multiplex places.

I'd planned to carry a pair of skis on the roof, assume that'll be ok as a normal car as don't take up any more room, though reading @Pamski's comment above suggests they'll want to charge for that too?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 18-01-24 11:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Pamski wrote:
Checked the dog in, and asked there if we had anything on the roof - yes skis - so an additional charge of £21 which we paid at the Pet check in.

I'd have said "No" then taken the skis off and sat them through the car for the duration of the crossing, putting them back on the roof as soon as you got to France!
latest report
@Mjit, we would have done that if there was room in the car. We might manage to squeeze them in on the way back - it’s the tin of Christmas cake and too many boxes of Weetabix I think. Blaming the grand daughters for that as they are coming out for a long weekend next week…
Will definitely come in the Mini with skis inside in March, but that’s a shorter trip and minus the dog.
snow conditions
I'll let you have the Christmas cake but I'd have binned the Weetabix (had I even packed it). No way something that tastes worse than the cardboard box it comes in is worth £21 Smile
snow conditions
Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy