Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just booked flights to Geneva for 13th January 24. Have narrowed down the search to these two. Top priority is snow.. I know Morzine struggled this year at the start of January. If that was to happen again does that mean Avoriaz becomes really busy? Flaine also seems to be a good bet but is that the same in terms of visitors to the surrounding resorts ending up there if snow bad? Any insight would be appreciated or are there any other resorts I should consider. Also could anyone recommend decent accommodation in either of these two. Family of 5. Kids are 10,8,6. Would like to be close to ski school meeting point. It's a lateish flight into Geneva 8pm, would this pose any problems getting up to avoriaz. Seems to be a gondola to get up there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either should be fine but if your top priority is snow wait until January and see what they are like there will be no shortage of accommodation at that time and the best snow may be in neither place.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you away for a full week? Have you and your children skied before? What level are you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
piggeris wrote:
I know Morzine struggled this year at the start of January. If that was to happen again does that mean Avoriaz becomes really busy? Flaine also seems to be a good bet but is that the same in terms of visitors to the surrounding resorts ending up there if snow bad?

Yes and Yes (but slightly less so for Flaine)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Full week. Second week skiing for the three kids and we are both intermediate boarders. My only concern with booking accommodation nearer the time was getting transfers. We went from grenoble to la rosiere this year and found it difficult to get from A-B
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
piggeris wrote:
Full week. Second week skiing for the three kids and we are both intermediate boarders. My only concern with booking accommodation nearer the time was getting transfers. We went from grenoble to la rosiere this year and found it difficult to get from A-B

Transfers from GVA to Flaine or Avoriaz are relatively straightforward and plentiful, so I wouldn't worry too much about that IIWY. January is generally a quiet time, so the advice to wait and see is probably not a bad idea, although I know many people like to have advance plans in place.

Which one? Well I'd base that more on what you like to do than on what snow conditions, and there are many other resorts you could consider. Of the two I'd veer towards Flaine as being better suited for a family with kids, with lots of runs converging back to the village making it much easier to arrange meet-ups, ski school drop-off or pickup, that sort of thing. Avoriaz can be a bit fiddly to get around from one end of the village to the other. And it tends to be busier, often with queues at the village level lifts, although again, outside of school holidays this really isn't much of an issue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In respect of casual numbers turning up, Flaine probably more difficult for day trippers to conveniently get to than Avoriaz.

Staying in Flaine, hotel Le Totem if you wanted that level of accommodation couldn't be better for location. Its literally one step out the boot room door to learner piste, there's almost zilch to rival how convenient it is.

Self catering, Les Terrace d'Eos is well located, great apartments, boot room out onto snow and back in, ski down to school meeting place but not difficult. Good facilities, steam and indoor pool, spectacular outdoor pool tha5s great with family after ski under a dark velvet sky Very Happy well worth a look.

Both destinations are usually OK to ski and not that much in it in real terms.

I wouldn't mind either, but prefer Flaine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="piggeris". Top priority is snow.. I know Morzine struggled this year at the start of January. If that was to happen again does that mean Avoriaz becomes really busy? [/quote]

Avoriaz was mental in January because Las Gets and Morzine were de facto closed. But that's not to say that the skiing was bad. Just busy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, Flaine was shut for a good while too... (More or less.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's risk either way, you takes yer pick and all that Cool

Most years you'll have an odds on chance at least of skiing, in both.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of companies doing transfers from Geneva to Morzine and Avoriaz. Geneva to Flaine a bit more limited, Go Massif are the main operators.

This year was very odd - the snow arrived halfway through the equivalent week - and most years that week would be fine for snow. But no one can give you a guarantee anywhere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliegolf, it has been a very odd season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, Oh yes!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf, by which I mean, you can't predict anything about next year based on this year. Other than seasonal averages.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy