Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See, April, novice skiers

Poster: A snowHead
So .. family (2 adults, 2 kids) with only 1 year experience of skiing (a few years ago) wondering if we could squeeze in a (late!) ski trip this year without spending a fortune. Looks like we could fly to Salzburg for not a silly amount of money, so wondering about Zell am See 1st to 8th April.

From my reading I should avoid anything this low at this end of the season, but looking at the piste map and it looks like there are a reasonable number of of blue (easy, for austria!) runs at the top (2,000 m), with a few lifts that can take us straight there
However, I'm guessing the blue "ski down to resort" runs might be bare and/or slushy (rocky?), so we really would likely be limited to maybe less than 10 runs for the week. This would probably be ok though, a few of the family only just progressed beyond snow-plough last holiday, so likely back at that level again now Happy

Would really welcome any thoughts/advice on this?

And/or - any better places for novices (that would be relatively "snow sure", and not "mad busy" on the pistes that freaks out us novices!) that I could/should consider?

Cheers in advance for any advice! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leaving aside the April dates - I took two novices to Zell and the were just fine..

the top is very novice friendly

I have no experience of Austria in April tho'....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always a bit of a lottery in April. There will always be plenty of runs open at the top but lower down could be scratchy...

Normally I would advise beginners away from Zell because it is limited for beginners but everywhere will be in a similar state in April and, at least, the blues are at the top there ....

Kirchberg may be another option as the long blues that run to the valleys are North facing and there are plenty more at the top.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Kirchberg looks to be a good option too ... although slightly worrying that a quick check on ski hire costs and most of the hire shops seem to close end March ... so is that telling me something?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zedzed_uk, have you checked car hire / transfer costs? Last year in April, I joined my sisters family and parents in Mayrhofen. It was just me and my daughter and we booked late (for me Smile) to join them in the extra room in their accommodation.

I checked out various options flying to Innsbruck which was crazy money at that point but found reasonable flight prices for both Munich and Salzburg. However costs of getting to the resort ended up being double (from memory) than they were from Munich despite distance being similar
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given the lack of snow this season I would suggest thinking about any resorts such as Zell or Kirchberg for the first week in April is not really a good idea. I realise "beginners" dont need a lot of snow but even so you need some and struggling through piles of slushy snow is not easy. I would look at one of the higher more snow sure places (which of course will be more expensive). Examples reachable from Salzburg might be Obertauern, Kaprun (glacier), Zillertal (hire car best), a small area -Wildkogel might be worth looking at, it is pretty high, I believe it stays open into April, I think Zauchensee stays open, Kitzbühel will be open but the skiing is often very limited.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Galtur might work well for you if you can find a late deal. Smallish area but ideal for beginners and also quite high. Could be a bit pricier though.

Serfaus also, lots of higher runs, more so than Zell. Might be a stretch depending on how well your beginners are progressing but have a look. Again one of the pricer resorts but excellent for children, might be able to get a late deal again. Worth having a look at Sunweb.

Good luck!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The glacier at Kaprun is quite good for novices. Went there with a group of mixed abilities in 2011 and we all loved it. Plus snow shouldn't be a problem at that altitude...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the input so far, really much appreciated. Decisions, decisions Happy

Galtur - looks like mostly reds, unless I'm mistaken? https://piste-maps.co.uk/austria/galtur
Kirchberg I think would be ok, as most of the blues are at 2k metres, but obviously higher is better (for April!)

Kaprun looks a good shout. However, to get somewhere "reasonable cost" it looks like staying in Kaprun and getting the Maiskogelbahn lift then 3k "Konnection" over to Langwied is maybe best? Or perhaps there is a frequent bus to the Gletscherjet1 and take that up? Being novice skiiers the less time we spend walking or on buses in boots carrying poles, ski's etc. the better .. so pick up boots/skis from the ski-centre in Langwied (and drop them back off at the end of the day too, and get the lifts back down). From Langwied it's more lifts etc. up above 2k m for hopefully ok snow conditions. This all seems to fall without budget (such as budget can be).

Does anyone with knowledge of Kaprun know if this sounds ok? Main concern might be taking 30-40 minutes to get to where we want to ski each day, but if at least half of that is just us travelling up in normal boots it's really not a hassle, and I'm guessing some amazing views on the way up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, either take the 3K or the frequent bus over to the glacier whichever is easier based on your accommodation.
Up at the AlpinCenter there are spaces to leave stuff for the day, so you can change into you boots up there. Note these are open cubes, not lockers, so you can't leave stuff there overnight.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zell am See and Kaprun are on same ski pass and free ski buses runs between them.

Kaprun is up to 3000m on a glacier so snow will be great on the blues up there, as should be as reasonable as anywhere non glacier on blues near top of Schmittenhoe (Zell). You are correct in that you can upload and download on gondolas to village level. Either the cityXpress from centre of Zell or even quicker on Trass Xpress or Schmittenhohe lift, although the base of that is a little out of zell centre up in Schmittenhohe.

And also at Kaprun you can download to from top of the Gletscherjet to Kaprun centre or the valley carpark up the valley a bit.

Even in good conditions the "home" run down into Zell centre is carnage in the afternoon so definitely take a gondola down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're correct, either way (Maiskogelbahn & 3S or Ski but & Gletscherjet) takes about 40 minutes to get to the bottom of the glacier. The Maiskogelbahn & 3S is a very nice trip with stunning views. The bus was running every 30 minutes last year, worth checking on the resort website for the time table this year.

Although I think that anywhere in Austria in April is going to involved some sort of faffing to get to the decent snow. You're not likely to get ski in ski out suitable for beginners at that time of year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Doofenschmirtz wrote:
Yes, either take the 3K or the frequent bus over to the glacier whichever is easier based on your accommodation.
Up at the AlpinCenter there are spaces to leave stuff for the day, so you can change into you boots up there. Note these are open cubes, not lockers, so you can't leave stuff there overnight.

Ah. So we need to carry skis and boots up with us every day? I mean .. it's a little easier than walking in ski boots, but not sure how the kids would cope rolling eyes Smile The "Intersport" website makes it sound like you can leave stuff there with it's "no more need to lug heavy gear around" messages on it's website Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zedzed_uk, I cant help with Kaprun as never been but Kirchberg in April really does not sound like a good idea. The Kitzbühel ski area will be open but of the parts of it likely to be open the most useful to you is the area at Pass Thurn, which a long way away from Kirchberg. Galtür is a long way from Salzburg, it is good for late snow (even better nearby Ischgl) but if you want to fly via Salzburg not practical.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually .. quick check and Intersport do have lockers for rent on the "mountain", so that does help.

Re: Kirchberg - thanks for the feedback. Sounds like that ones in the "discard pile" Very Happy
snow report
@zedzed_uk, you're right on the piste map its more reds than blue. Was going by memory rather than the map Laughing

Again from what I recall quite a lot of those reds are really more blues with a couple which are genuinely more challenging. With the higher altitude and slightly better snow conditions you might well find they ski easier than mogully lower blues elsewhere ... but hard to say.

I think that was my youngest's second week of skiing and she loved it.
snow report
@zedzed_uk, Skip Zell an See altogether if I were you. For short transfer and more skiing I agree (for once) with @munich_irish, Obertauern or Zauchensee will tick the right boxes. If you opt for Zauchensee I'd look for somewhere to stay in Altenmarkt. 15 min bus ride up in the morning but cheaper with acccess to more restaurants and the Therme Amade for a bit of water fun. Both much easier than the Faff associated with getting up an down in Kaprun!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 6-03-23 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
zedzed_uk wrote:
Doofenschmirtz wrote:

Ah. So we need to carry skis and boots up with us every day? I mean .. it's a little easier than walking in ski boots, but not sure how the kids would cope rolling eyes Smile The "Intersport" website makes it sound like you can leave stuff there with it's "no more need to lug heavy gear around" messages on it's website Confused

I'd be tempted to hire your gear near your accommodation / bottom gondola station and depending where your accom is, get on the ski bus with carrying skis and wearing ski boots, as it easier to get kids togged up indoors. Between bus stop and top of gondola it doesnt really mater what you wear as you are sat / stood in a gondola or bus.

The 3K link wasn't there when I went, but 40 mins to get from Kaprun to top of Gletscherjet sounds about right, I'd go by whichever route is most convenient for accomodation, although the view from the 3K is supposed to be pretty special.
snow conditions
Currently in Zell. Needs a major dump of snow. Basing yourself in Kaprun instead of Zell could be a better option. Snow is not great at all but up on Kitzsteinhorn is great. However maiskogel in afternoon is not the best for novices but great in morning. Even went over to to Saalbach Hinterglemm yesterday and it was pretty poor
snow conditions
We stayed in a hotel between Kaprun and the glacier. Called the Kunstleralm or something like that. Was a bit isolated but much nearer the glacier. You can get the ski bus from the front door. Sorry but I cant remember how good the skiing was was beginners but I dont recall it being too difficult. Ski bus also takes you into Kaprun and Zell but you may need to get a taxi back if you are later on. Food in the Kunstleralm was very good
snow conditions
This year, unless they get hooooge dumps of snow, no.
Zell is, imho, a good place for beginners and early intermediates (if tending to be overcrowded with them), with some nice wide runs - but right at the moment the runs are either scraped off hardpack (a few) or a major slushfest of soft moguls by 1pm. Most people are struggling - unless they happen to be spring snow afficianadoes.
I doubt that there'll be anything skiable left soon.

Glacier is good enough snow ATM, but also crazy busy! Not again a good place for beginners imho, and the runs aren't really that beginner friendly, except the top bits if you can cope with constant near 3000m.
snow conditions
Just got back from Zell and would agree the conditions are not ideal for beginners; as stated most of the blues from Schmittenhohe down to the Ariet / Top of City Express (whilst normally ideal for beginners) are a chopped up slush fest with an icy base (a nice cocktail) from 2pm. The sunny side (Sonnkogel area) currently has a fantastic 'slush powder hour' circa midday-1pm but these are mainly reds so you may struggle anyway (although if you do get your legs try Red 17/18 on a good day - will make you feel good about the world again and its well worth the dull T Bar back up again!)

Saalbach is the same and would argue the majority of blues here are tricker than normal and most should have a red rating - add the current conditions and your groups ability and I'd say forget it.

Kaprun worth a shot as conditions much much better but it is rammed as all the Dutch half termers have been raping it . . . maybe consider Les Deux Alpes instead - wide blue runs from 3400M nearly all the way to the bottom!
latest report
Just back for 5 days in Zell. Managed a day up on Schmittenhohe yesterday and got first lift up. Conditions were great up top and not too bad all the way down to city express in morning. Within a few hours however the snow has deteriorated a bit but still skiable. The good thing is that if you are nervous skiers you can always download on one of the many options back I to town
snow conditions
We’re in zell atm and the snow isn’t great. We’re glad we haven’t come out later. Learning to ski on slush this week has been interesting as it’s not really something we’ve been faced with before for the whole ski week. Love Zell but really not sure what it’ll be like at that time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy