Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accidental deploy of ABS activation handle with no canister attached - what to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Whilst checking my Ortovox avalanche bag and handle, I accidentally deployed the activation handle when no canister was present. I have now realised that the activation handle was out of date anyway, so I needed a new one.
What should I do? Will the bag still work? Advice seems to be to get the whole bag checked, but there is no explanation as to why. Has anyone else done this idiotic thing? BW, Zoe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gaschick, the activation handle is a one use only item, so no, the bag won’t work. Normally, when the bag has been pulled, you take the empty canister and the handle to an ABS dealer, and they swap both out for about 50 quid. If you haven’t tested the bag recently, then take the whole lot in to a shop to be checked and bits replaced. Otherwise, take the handle and the canister in and explain what happened – the canister should still probably be checked if it’s the same age as the handle, but may be ok.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. Yes, I realise that the handle is a one use item. It's just that I read on Ortovox or ABS website (which I now can't find), it states that under no circumstances should the handle be deployed without the canister being attached. I have weighed the carbon canister without the cap, and it's as it states on the outside weight. The carbon fibre canisters are guaranteed for 15 years.

I can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that I can actually go in to sort this out, or buy a replacement handle. I am off to Chatel on Friday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably because it has an explosive charge in it, and it might take your face off Shocked

Have you tried Snow & Rock, Ellis Brigham, Backcountry UK etc? You may not find it on the website so give them a call and ask. Otherwise, email a couple of shops in Chatel and see if you can get one when you arrive. People pull bags in resort all the time (accidentally or otherwise). There is usually somewhere to replace the bits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have just found the answer in the booklet with the ABS canister. 'The undamped explosion pressure will damage the picture unit and render it unsafe and unusable. It must be checked and replaced.' I am filling in an online form now on the Ortovox website.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy