Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet with or without visor?

Poster: A snowHead
No doubt asked before but I get the impression that manufacturers are constantly trying to improve products and so things can change.

I believe when helmets with visors first came on the market the main complaint was that snow could get underneath the visor which caused a number of problems and so I am wondering if this issue has been solved?

And in general, what are the current advantages and disadvantages of helmets with visors compared to helmets with goggles? And any recommendations for the best helmet with visor?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are quite a few Visor helmet users on here, who are more than happy with them, especially if wearing glasses.

The problem seems more to be about getting replacement parts if things break, or fail. There may also be less choice for tints. Getting a photochromic visor would solve the problem of changing light...or you can get a low light lens, which can be pushed up and Sunnies warn in good weather. Finally, they might be more prone to getting damaged - but owners can confirm.

I think Bolle seem to give a decent mixture of performance and value....but the choice of helmet is all about the fit.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 25-02-23 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I prefer the field of vision a visor gives me over goggles.
Not found goggles that dit me and gives complete peripheral vision.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
There are quite a few Visor helmet users on here, who are more than happy with them, especially if wearing glasses.

The problem seems more to be about getting replacement parts if things break, or fail. There may also be less choice for tints. Getting a photochromic visor would solve the problem of changing light...or you can get a low light lens, which can be pushed up and Sunnies warn in good weather. Finally, they might be more prone to getting damaged - but owners can confirm.

I think Bolle seem to give a decent mixture of performance and value....but the choice of helmet is all about the fit.

+1 for Bolle, they are adjustable to fit and you can buy other visors for different light conditions. Mine does not let in snow under the visor and enough air circulates to keep the visor from steaming up.

It also fits well over my glasses and I would not go back to wearing goggles over glasses
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I switched to a visor after one week on snow. My goggles kept pinging to the back of my helmet and hanging from the clip, and I had one memorable moment where my goggles steamed up, I couldn't remove them because my gloves were too bulky, and I also couldn't see. At least with the visor, it's easy to slide up whilst on the move. No issues with snow getting underneath. Ut has taken some adjustment for me to get the visor fit just right as I have a small nose it kept wanting to slide over, but all sorted now.

The whole Owl family have Salomon helmets, all with visors. Less things to lose on holiday too. Smallest child did not bring home a pair of goggles that first week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never noticed these things. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to others. Do any of them come with a heated visor to get rid of fog? How easy is it to change lenses? I know there are goggles with magnetic frames.

I've got a substantial investment in heated goggles because it's so irritating to swap the frame mid run. I keep a spare set in my fanny pack for those days with rapid changes. Not so easy to do that with extra helmets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a bolle one and my only complaint is that I still need sunglasses for lunch stops!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sibhusky wrote:
I've never noticed these things. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to others. Do any of them come with a heated visor to get rid of fog? How easy is it to change lenses? I know there are goggles with magnetic frames.

I've got a substantial investment in heated goggles because it's so irritating to swap the frame mid run. I keep a spare set in my fanny pack for those days with rapid changes. Not so easy to do that with extra helmets.

Hi - what’s the brand / model of your heated goggles - I think I need a pair!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also - does anyone know of a helmet visor where the visor ‘lens’ covers the eyes without the sponge ‘seal’ on the face.

Without the sponge I reckon getting snow under the visor is less of an issue than having an open air circulation / ventilation design to avoid fogging. I could be very wrong.

Annoyingly my Smith fan assisted goggles finally gave up the ghost and I haven’t found a decent anti fogging alternative.

Any thoughts on goggle and helmets with visors beyond anti fog sprays and wipes welcome!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve got one of these

https://www.intersport.at/head-radar-visier-skihelm-wintersportausrustung-iat.head.323409.000.0726424859375.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAo-yfBhD_ARIsANr56g5GNK2VQtMOMe2loOTxoAongMN7uHbXEa2dRHRIOKsOh5QVdaIfvsoaAr9xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

No fogging, the elasticated/rubber “band” that secures the visor to the helmet provides a good seal. Excellent peripheral vision. Comfortable to wear. Easy to lift up/pull down - only slightly more faffy than a traditional visor helmet, which is what I had previously.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't use one, and personally I think they look really bad! Laughing but I can understand why you'd use one, particularly if you wear glasses.

I think they look even worse when the visor is up and the user has sun glasses on instead.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having a visor certainly seems to benefit me at the dry slope, mainly due to being able to wear my glasses and have a decent field of vision, as has been mentioned. Will find out pin the real slopes soon enough.

Also, no lost goggles, so that's a win...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, why care what it looks like?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
I’ve got one of these

https://www.intersport.at/head-radar-visier-skihelm-wintersportausrustung-iat.head.323409.000.0726424859375.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAo-yfBhD_ARIsANr56g5GNK2VQtMOMe2loOTxoAongMN7uHbXEa2dRHRIOKsOh5QVdaIfvsoaAr9xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

No fogging, the elasticated/rubber “band” that secures the visor to the helmet provides a good seal. Excellent peripheral vision. Comfortable to wear. Easy to lift up/pull down - only slightly more faffy than a traditional visor helmet, which is what I had previously.

What makes it slightly more faffy? And overall why is it better than a traditional visor helmet?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:
I don't use one, and personally I think they look really bad! Laughing but I can understand why you'd use one, particularly if you wear glasses.

I think they look even worse when the visor is up and the user has sun glasses on instead.

Better get used to them because I believe they are the future. Once the top racers start using them, which will happen one day, it will be game over for goggles.
ski holidays
Mid4656 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
I’ve got one of these

What makes it slightly more faffy? And overall why is it better than a traditional visor helmet?

A traditional visor just pushes up/over. The Head version one has to pull the visor slightly forward to disengage the clip-in feature (and seal) at the top of the visor, and then raise the visor to its “up” clipped in setting. No real hassle once one is used to it.

IMV it’s better because it creates a much better seal both at the top and around the face.
latest report
As a glasses wearer I should be all over visor helmets... but nope.
Don't like them, as they don't solve the key issue for me that my eyes tend to stream in cold wind, and a visor just doesn't block the wind out like decent goggles.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Don't like them, as they don't solve the key issue for me that my eyes tend to stream in cold wind, and a visor just doesn't block the wind out like decent goggles.

Exactly this. I bought one a few years back and gave up that afternoon's skiing to return the thing to the shop. I was on shaky ground, but they were good enough to make a total refund. Even on chairs my eyes were streaming; and skiing, it was awful.

But I really want one! Very Happy
snow report
As a goggle wearer I've no inclination to try a visor helmet, but if I were inclined towards them, after the normal it must fit properly criteria, it would be the medium/long term availability of replacement visors, and the visor tints available.

I'd be concerned that after spending £200/€200+ on a visor helmet that the model would be discontinued, and the visor parts wouldn't be available in all sizes.
ski holidays
Mid4656 wrote:

Better get used to them because I believe they are the future. Once the top racers start using them, which will happen one day, it will be game over for goggles.

Have never seen top racers wear them; have you? I suspect the technology has a long way to go still.

Looked at them briefly for glasses-wearing son but not worth ditching a perfectly good poc helmet to try them out. He went for OTG goggles in the end.
snow conditions
My partner has to take eye drops every half hour or so and skiing was becoming a chore with stopping all the time and removing googles. I suggested a visor helmet and it’s made a massive difference. She has a salmon partner visor from memory. No issues at all with functionality.
snow report
Mid4656 wrote:
swskier wrote:

Damned decent of you turn rock up here and tell everyone what they should be thinking Toofy Grin thanks for taking some of your valuable time to do such, Mid4656 rolling eyes
snow report
@ski3, isn’t that 90% of snowHead posts Happy
snow conditions
@Skimum1, by that “when racers start wearing them” analogy. I’ve never felt the need to wear a Kevlar (or Nomex) suit when driving my
Ford focus 1.6.

Not every skier is going full whack.
snow report
Probably a bit less, perhaps 75% @GlasgowCyclops, Very Happy

There's many I just read as they're so informative in bringing other's experiences and wouldn't dream of offering any critique.
snow report
@Sasha320320, are you based in Bothwell? If yes we have met before in Glencoe.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Interesting that you found that. I found that my Salomon visor helmet blocks the wind better than goggles.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, gotta look good for the gram! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a Bollé one last month. V-ryft Pure with photochromic lens. No problems with wind or streaming eyes, no annoying gap between googles and edge of helmet. Worn in full sun, wind and poor visibility. Lens changed quickly when moving from shade to sun and vice-versa and I improved the fit around my face by dialling in the helmet a little bit more once I'd pulled down the visor. I don't need to wear my glasses underneath at the moment, but I did try with them on and it was still comfortable, although glasses fogged up when not moving, they cleared quickly (I used Muc-off anti-fog).
snow report
My wife and son are a bit hyper sensitive, they absolutely love their integrated lens helmets. Atomic Savor.
Happily Sally has a small head and fits in a kids one, the lenses are lighter for some reason, adult ones darker.
ski holidays
They like them because no pressure on their face. Better field of vision
ski holidays
Sasha320320 wrote:
sibhusky wrote:

Hi - what’s the brand / model of your heated goggles - I think I need a pair!

Sorry to say that, due to supply chain issues (couldn't get parts), they are no longer in business. There is a rumor they may start up again, tho.
snow report
lower wrote:
Interesting that you found that. I found that my Salomon visor helmet blocks the wind better than goggles.
Also interesting. With goggles they're... on your face. If it's cold - like the minus 24 we had the last few days - then you wear some scarf type thing [neck gaiter] to cover any additional exposed skin. There should be nothing in the wind, in that sense. I tried a visor helmet for a few days. I found that in deep snow the powder would get... on the wrong side of the visor. You know, the "face shots" snow. You don't get a lot of that in Hemel Hempstead, but for me that was a deal breaker - the gap between the bottom of the lens was a massive target for powder. No doubt it depends what and how you ride...
ski holidays
At minus 24, you'll find me in a bar, or better, still in bed.

Giggles and visors become an irrelevance.
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:
lower wrote:
Also interesting. With goggles they're... on your face. If it's cold - like the minus 24 we had the last few days - then you wear some scarf type thing [neck gaiter] to cover any additional exposed skin. There should be nothing in the wind, in that sense. I tried a visor helmet for a few days. I found that in deep snow the powder would get... on the wrong side of the visor. You know, the "face shots" snow. You don't get a lot of that in Hemel Hempstead, but for me that was a deal breaker - the gap between the bottom of the lens was a massive target for powder. No doubt it depends what and how you ride...

As others have said, the problem of snow getting under the visor has now been eradicated with the latest versions.
ski holidays
I have always wondered if there is correlation between the number of collisions on piste to helmet/goggle wearing and if visors are the answer? I have never been keen on the field of vision in goggles, particularly strapped to a casque. I know this isn't a helmet thread but I yearn for someone to disprove that they protect that much as they do limit vision.
I hark back to the days of sunny afternoons in just sunglasses, no bloody helmet or hat for that matter. I felt so much more free and skied with far more vision of others and what was going on around me.
A helmet and goggles is, I imagine, how a race horse feels with blinkers. Maybe I should try a visor - although it seems like it is always German or Eastern European housewives that have them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yellow Snow wrote:
I have always wondered if there is correlation between the number of collisions on piste to helmet/goggle wearing and if visors are the answer? I have never been keen on the field of vision in goggles, particularly strapped to a casque. I know this isn't a helmet thread but I yearn for someone to disprove that they protect that much as they do limit vision.
I hark back to the days of sunny afternoons in just sunglasses, no bloody helmet or hat for that matter. I felt so much more free and skied with far more vision of others and what was going on around me.
A helmet and goggles is, I imagine, how a race horse feels with blinkers. Maybe I should try a visor - although it seems like it is always German or Eastern European housewives that have them Toofy Grin

Interesting - and could be correlation vs causation.

Have collisions actually increased? And if they have...

- Is it as a result of more people going skiing; greater lift capacity; better grooming; and/or carving skis, allowing people to ski faster than their ability is to control it.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:

Interesting - and could be correlation vs causation.

Have collisions actually increased? And if they have...

- Is it as a result of more people going skiing; greater lift capacity; better grooming; and/or carving skis, allowing people to ski faster than their ability is to control it.

If, indeed, collisions have increased: it could, very realistically, be those reasons too, and knobs with go-pros - but I would still suspect that it is down to lack of peripheral vision caused by those woeful things called helmets and goggles
snow report
Yellow Snow wrote:

If, indeed, collisions have increased: it could, very realistically, be those reasons too, and knobs with go-pros - but I would still suspect that it is down to lack of peripheral vision caused by those woeful things called helmets and goggles

It is likely a combination of all these factors. IMO. The 2 biggest factors will likely be extra numbers going skiing - and on Carving skis. Collisions are generally the result of skill level.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

That’s the main reason I switched from the more traditional visor helmet….not a sufficient seal causing watering eyes. The current version (as per earlier link) has totally eradicated the problem.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy