Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update on beginner month long alps trip...and a lesson question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This was me... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166463....and I spent quite some time thinking about all of the excellent advice and suggestions before making some modifications to my trip. As a result, I am now in Siusi in the Dolomites until Saturday 23rd, and am having group ski lessons at Alpe di Siusi - I am very happy with my updated choice of location and am having a fabulous week so far!

Next week, I am in Seefeld, and considering what to do there. This week, I have (a) been in a small group of 3 so loads of individual attention, (b) all 3 of us were beginners but learned fast and could parallel turn effectively, if not particularly elegantly, within the first 3 days (2hrs per day), which has led to (c) spending today, day 4 (and another planned excursion tomorrow) heading all the way up to the top of the mountain on a mix of reds and blues, I would say at least half reds.

I am really very happy that I've picked it up like this - but am also aware that my technique leaves a lot to be desired (although I didn't fall at all today, despite spending 3 hours going from slope to slope without breaks other than on the lifts, and being slightly terrified at times Shocked ) - I have found that if I start to feel a bit unbalanced, really engaging my core, leaning forwards into whatever is happening and not trying to do anything drastic until I have regained full control keeps me upright the best.

I am wondering, now, what to do next week. Instructor here said definitely go for the 3rd group up / proper intermediate, but I wonder if I would have a better time (as there will be a new instructor / bigger group / different teaching style) in the beginner+ one again. It depends, I think, if the progression this week that I have described above is fairly normal, or really at the far upper end of the scale. I would almost like to repeat this week, I think, to consolidate. I don't want to go backwards though and do less. So - is it normal-ish to be doing this in the 4th session of a beginner+ set of lessons? Or is this really what you'd normally find in an intermediate group? The few people in real life I have talked to now seemed to think I would be doing really well to attempt a red at the end of week 1, not be happily heading down several km of them on day 4!

Other key point here - I really don't want to overface myself and lose confidence. I think if I am unsure, I would go for the easier option so that is less likely to happen.....opinions please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next week will be very different in terms of numbers. There will be a lot more groups of all sorts of different levels. Can't speak for what others do but we watch all who are not absolute beginners ski and group them accordingly. If you are in the wrong group we move you to a different one when it becomes apparent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@louisa417, rather than select the level yourself it might be better to have a conversation with the ski school and describe what you can do in much the same terms as your post here. That’s plenty of info for the ski school to assign you to a particular class, and it’s likely that they can make adjustments to a different class if necessary as the week goes on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My advice - stick with Ski School until you've reached the top group . . . then you're ready!

Luckily I learnt to ski in Austria (mainly Kitzbuhel) in the 80s and did 2 weeks every trip (my dad RIP was good like that - 'why do a week when you can get so much more from 2') Every holiday was spent in ski school all day and for the entire duration (probably due to the 'free' childcare) and after the initial 'test' you were placed in the class that suited you most . . . you would repeat that class in the 2nd week if you hadn't progressed sufficiently, you could also be promoted to the class above if you were outskiing your buddies (this happened on a few occasions, even in the middle of a specific day randomly). At the end of the week your class / level would have a slalom race; and if you won that / performed well you'd also be 'promoted' into the class above for the 2nd week. This format continued every year, but the 'test' ALWAYS determined your level for the week . . .usually by the head of ski school who was a wizened / leather skinned gnome puffing on a roll up and writing notes on a clipboard - a flick of his arm would determine who your instructor would be and where you were 'at'!

TBF as a kid I was competitive (usually with my more naturally talented younger brother) and obviously fitness didn't really apply (was fit as a fiddle) however I do remember my last week in the top group of ski school age 15yrs . . .and I won the slalom that year (1986 on Atomic ARC 198's) sporting a full mohican haircut!

The instructors took me (and my class) to the Londoner that afternoon and got me completely smashed (would be a law suit for this kind of 'abusive' behaviour these days) to celebrate my passing out . . . . quite literally!

Struggling to this day to reach my previous heady heights . . .could probably do with a few more weeks in ski school! Good luck and enjoy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@louisa417, Go for the proper intermediate group - you seem to be progressing reasonably quickly. If that's wrong the instructor will suggest a more suitable group on the first session - lots of people get moved between groups.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would echo everyone else. Go to ski school (do you have one in mind in Seefeld?) and let them put you were you should be, but explain well the standard you're currently at. You'll get moved around as necessary.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski school will go as fast as the slowest person (unless they get relegated!), if you are heads & shoulders above where you are, then you should get moved to a better class. So give it a go at the higher group - as you need to be pushed & not stay in your comfort zone. You can always have a chat with the school if you feel you are in danger zone, but a good instructor will recognise that & a good ski school should move you!

At some point, maybe a 1-2-1 will be a better option
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for the advice - I had not considered that there would be scope to move between groups, was assuming you ended up in one or the other and (barring disasters) stayed there. As it's low season this week there are just the three of us beginners plus an advanced group, I think, so it is what it is! I have really enjoyed the lessons, they've worked out like having a super helpful mountain guide crossed with a coach, and not knowing how any of this worked - using the different lifts, getting around etc - it really has been great and buoyed my confidence no end Very Happy

I have gone for Sport Aktiv in Seefeld - I booked it already as it's over xmas (starting xmas day!) and it was suggested previously on here that as that's high season it would be safest to do so. I can't remember why I picked them over the other main school but I do remember there was a good logistical reason of some kind.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy