Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milo walkie talkies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had any experience of these?

Www.okmilo.com
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
€230? Seems a bit steep for a walkie talkie. For that price I’d probably opt for a Bluetooth headset.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sasha320320, looking at the technical specifications it states "Dual ISM-band sub-GHz and 2.4 GHz". ISM bands are for Industrial, Scientific and Medical uses for other purposes other than telecommunications,, so using them for telecomminications whilst I think is allowed note that it states "In the frequency bands designated for ISM use, any communications equipment operating must tolerate any interference generated by ISM applications" However for use on the ski slopes I doubt that there would be much interference from other ISM transmitters.

Elsewhere on the Milo website it says "The range between two grouped Milos™ in clear terrain is usually at least half a kilometer (third of a mile), often more." If that range is suitable for your needs all well and good, however conventional PMR446 2 way radios (as used in the UK and the rest of Europe) would be expected to have a range of several km in open ground.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all - looks like all the innovation is in the hands free functionality (as opposed to doing anything materially different around radio transmission / range).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

as opposed to doing anything materially different around radio transmission / range

but it is materially different - you can only talk over a very restricted range. A group you are cycling with, or windsurfing very close to. Or skiing down the same piste with - but not if it's a long piste and one of the back markers has a tumble and the others are already down the bottom. A bluetooth headset, as @hammerite suggests, seems superior in many ways. If you are with your mates on a lift, and gathering together at the bottom to get on another lift, do you really need to chat all the way down?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to use a radio to call out a rescue, then you need a proper VHF radio and knowledge of the local frequencies.
If you want to chat over a respectable range ... then that's your PMR446 type stuff. Which will cost more like twenty bucks a unit, not several hundred. It seems less useful and much more expensive.

The Milo "technical specifications" don't say what the power is.. wikipedia suggests devices using ISM are "low power" - stuff like garage openers.
You an legally buy an unprogrammed VHF radio with up to 7 watts of power off Amazon... I think I know which one I'd prefer. And proper radios are hard man black, not toy orange wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
phil_w wrote:

You can legally buy an unprogrammed VHF radio with up to 7 watts of power off Amazon...

But not necessarily legally use it (if the frequencies and/or power levels are not authorized in the country you're in). wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy