Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

- Goggles with glasses for kids -

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We are heading away in a few weeks time and Mini DF (6 yo)has got glasses this year. His eyes are pretty poor without them so he will have to wear them when skiing. Last year he just wore shades foR the week and we are aiming for the same this year but looking at options for poor weather.

Long way of asking - does anyone have any recommendations for kids goggles to go over glasses?

Thanks

DF
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would take him into a shop (either Dublin S&R or in resort) and try stuff, until you find something that works.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-02-23 21:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My friend’s daughter (6) has a lens she pops in her goggles. From the optician
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You'll only know by trying goggles on over the glasses, preferably also with the helmet he will wear. If the goggles fit but press on the arms/corners of the frame then cutting notches in the foam may help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loads of kids wear visor helmets now. Great solution- Decathlon etc do them. Try a few different versions, make sure he can raise/lower it himself and it doesn’t press on his nose.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CathyAuLait, +1

Can highly recommend the cebe fireball kids visor helmet. Not just for comfort and value for money, but my son also had a very serious crash in his, and his head was ok. Of course, his head may well have been ok anyway... We replaced it with another fireball.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for cebe fireball helmet and is quite watertight on wet / snowy days. Much better than the Salomon visor helmet which we also have.

@Dublinfella, For the first time this week we’ve tried a frame that securely clips into inside of helmet which has worked well for our 11yo who has significant vision issues. We figured this will last a while as long as she does not lose her goggles.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. A new world for us, so just trying to navigate. @Ozboy, they look very impressive.

I hadn't thought of the visor helmet. That could be a good option too. I haven't seen any in Dublin but also haven't really been looking either.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a glasses wearer, defo a visor helmet, it's a much better solution than any goggles over glasses scenario, much less likely to steam up and easy to flick up the visor with one hand if they do or the light goes really flat or whatever.

A photochromic lens is the most flexible to cover all light conditions.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-02-23 10:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dublinfella, As an adult needing specs, I did exactly as suggested and went to a shop in resort with a large selection and tried many. I found a pair of Oakley goggles that were perfect for the glasses I wore then, but when I replaced those glasses had issues of the goggles pushing my new specs into my nose.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My 12 yr old finally let on during the pandemic that he hadn't been able to read the board at school & couldn't see the difference between the 15s & 5s board before the gates dropped when he was racing motocross (one's got less stuff on it & comes last, so that's how he managed). He was copying notes from the kid next to him at school & riding tracks & skiing moguls by feel.
So he got glasses & also Oakley prescription inserts @Ozboy shows in his post for motocross & skiing (they clip into the inside of his goggles).

Some goggles will allow some prescription glasses too- you just have to try them out with your kid.

One significant issue- make sure your kid tries them.
I know one of my friends had his kid flat out refuse to wear these, because they look geeky (his eyesight is poor, but he'd rather crash than be seen in them).

To my absolute delight, my fashion conscious kid was so happy to be able to see what was coming that he will tolerate them.

It's only really a thing with clear goggles for winter racing- summer is fine, because heavy tints hide them Very Happy
I've got a photo with clear goggles in winter, but I can't figure out how to upload it without giving a company the rights to the image, but if you want to see what they look like I'm happy to email it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son is older but the Outdoor Master pair I got him from Amazon went comfortably over his glasses and he has been much happier than with his previous fancy oakleys that didn’t. They were only about £35 as well. I think they have gone up in price a bit and the kids’ ones appear to have flown out but you could also try similar.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OTG goggles will fit over glasses - my husband and son both wear glasses and wear OTG goggles, lots of brands make them. they just have a cut out/dent in the side to allow for the arms of the glasses
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If he's OK wearing sunglasses one option would be prescription glasses with a yellow tint. Thinking of getting a pair myself!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LeanneLlew wrote:
OTG goggles will fit over glasses - my husband and son both wear glasses and wear OTG goggles, lots of brands make them. they just have a cut out/dent in the side to allow for the arms of the glasses

they do but a visor is better, and the OP will struggle to beat the Decathlons kids visor helmet (HKD 550) for €40 - €51 depending on colour choice. probably cheaper than a new set of googles.
snow report
@BASE849, Thanks so much. Brilliant to get a better understanding and options. We were similar, in that the poor fella is quite bad but we didnt know until an eye test in school.

Happily he is young enough that he doesn't know what cool is! We have persuaded him that flip up clip ons are all the rage!

@Skimum1, I'll have a look at the Outdoor Master goggles too.

@t44tomo, I was out in Decathalon but their Irish stock is low at the moment.

@Mjit, I have yellow prescription glasses for driving and really like them but think goggles are much better.
latest report
I found that those glasses with flexible arms fit fine into my goggles. I bought mine in Albertville where they were quite cheap (it was years ago, can't remember how much, but very very cheap compared to what I paid my UK optician for varifocal specs!). Weirdly, reminded by this thread, I just dug them out, and tried them (i'm going skiing next week and am collecting the gear together) and they are hopelessly blurred because my distance eyesight has improved a great deal in the last year or so. A pair of prescription sunglasses I had in the car for a while were similarly hopeless when I tried them today - unusable. Non-prescription sunnies which I bought four or five years ago are far better.
snow report
Dublinfella wrote:

@t44tomo, I was out in Decathalon but their Irish stock is low at the moment.

in stock online on decathlon Ireland, they had more stock online than the UK site as i check before recommending, given your username!
snow conditions
@t44tomo, thanks chief - I was out there and didnt see anything but will check on line now.
ski holidays
keep in mind that the kids eyes are developing really fast.
I mean, both our kids (5 and 7) wear glasses.
We were looking also for a solution and our optiker said that it worth not to do these glasses for insides the ski googles, ore prescription for googles with lences etc. Indeed we change the glasses almost 6 months.
So either to find googles which allows the glasses inside, or ski helm with visier.
We decided for the second option and the kids are really happy with them.

PS hope you understand what i mean, Englisch is not my mother Language
snow report
@turms2, Great advice, thanks. Just getting used to the glasses, so great to know the prescriptions can change so quickly. Sounds like the helmet visor is the way to go.
latest report
My son wears glasses and these have been brilliant for him:
https://outdoormaster.com/products/ultra-anti-fog-ski-goggles

Glasses fit comfortably underneath
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
My son wears glasses and these have been brilliant for him:
https://outdoormaster.com/products/ultra-anti-fog-ski-goggles

Glasses fit comfortably underneath

Another vote for these, ours are “Vision” I think - another larger sized one. Worked really well
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy