Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Side Benefits of being a Snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
I'll start:

1. You wouldn't believe how many chairs I get to myself. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BoardieK, yeah weird innit....

2. Our luggage is good for carrying more than spare sections of drainpipe or your pet python on holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@BoardieK, yeah weird innit....

2. Our luggage is good for carrying more than spare sections of drainpipe or your pet python on holiday.
Laughing

I did use my ski bag once for bringing curtain poles I'd bought in the UK back to our house in Switzerland so they do have their practical uses!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways,
I bet my bag is bigger than your bag wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3. when you master the button lift, you are the master of the universe
4. i had to carry everything in one piece , not 2 ski x 2 poles etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is getting ridiculous, 5 minute queues and I've had about 60% of chairs to myself. Half of multiple occupancies are where I've jumped on with others at the last second.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@musher, never mind the quality, feel the width!

@BoardieK, re chairs, We were in Grand Massif before Christmas, friend of ours lines up with Junior on a big 8-man with 6 others, Jnr is on a snowboard in trap 8 - only friend and jnr move forwards and catch the chair... I'm behind, move into trap 8 space and another skier joins in trap 7... only I move forwards. Liftie is now yelling at them to move up and get the line moving, he and I exchange Gallic shrugs and I scoot across to take the middle spot on my Flying Sofa privé.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, Cool

Just got off another, if only I had the same "repulsive" effect on the slopes Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Warm comfy boots that you can easily walk around in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stairs are not Kryptonite to us! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
5. It's genuinely hard to spend more than a grand on putting all your gear together.
6. Your boots don't have to be fettled and hewn into shape by esoteric masters
7. Real-estate for stickers is plentiful.
8. Only 2 edges to service
9. Snowboard kit is so much lighter to carry about.

@wiigman, top tip: if you ever race skiers, always specify the finish line a bar up at least one flight of stairs...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Equipment that is a doddle to carry and doesn't risk decapitating your neighbours every time you turn around Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can sit on it and keep your backside warm and dry
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
10 : you can happily adjust your own bindings, without fear of wondering who you can sue if the pre-release is 0,2 Nm too much for your pre-holiday weight.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
You can sit on it and keep your backside warm and dry

Doubles as a sledge too, although if you've got an aggressive stomp pad on it, you'll end up looking like you belong in a EL James novel.
ski holidays
Your feet will stay in those bindings as you crash and cartwheel down the slope. Thus protecting your knee ligaments.
ski holidays
If not your neck
ski holidays
The 'cheat mode' for snowboarders is a hundred times easier than the skier's snow-plough (or dual edge slip), i.e. The Escalator (edge slide facing downslope, as if on a down-escalator).

It works anywhere except on the steepest icy blacks (where you have to suck it up and carve like a racer).
snow report
11 : you can change brand and model of binding with re-drilling your board.
12 : you can see where your going when riding switch
snow report
13 : siblings struggle to slyly unclip your bindings when waiting behind you in the lift queue.
snow conditions
14: you can hoon up behind people of narrow icy cat tracks and then perform the deafening hockey stop scrape, and watch their form change from behind as muscles freeze and their body becomes rigid, all the time while saying "For F@ck sake" in a loud voice.
snow conditions
15. you dont look like a tit
latest report
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
13 : siblings struggle to slyly unclip your bindings when waiting behind you in the lift queue.

y'see, this is exactly the kind of reporting we don't get on these new fangled step-in/on bindings from burton and nidecker.
snow conditions
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
14: you can hoon up behind people of narrow icy cat tracks and then perform the deafening hockey stop scrape, and watch their form change from behind as muscles freeze and their body becomes rigid, all the time while saying "For F@ck sake" in a loud voice.

This one comes with the mild peril of having a ski pole wrapped around your head though.
snow conditions
You build muscles quickly in your scooch leg and get fit from having to bootpack out of those powder flats.
snow report
16: you learn how people say: "Jesus - That was close !" in 12 different languages.
snow conditions
@OuatteDePhoque, all of your benefits seem to come with mild “ski pole wrapped around your head” peril. Have you done a cost/benefit analysis?
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
This one comes with the mild peril of having a ski pole wrapped around your head though.

Nah, skiers are invariably holding their poles incorrectly to be able to deliver any kind of precision blow with any real force - bit of vague inaccurate poking is the best they can manage at short order, followed by falling over in a yard sale of escaping kit. Anyway ski pole have become, in my experience, waaay to light and bendy to be of any real threat.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
every year at 20.November you are able to say your boss : sorry it is Jake Burton Carpenter memorial day, take the day off and head to Hintertux....
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, you want to watch out for anyone with a “whiski pole”. Particularly earlier on in the day, when they will be weighed down with up to 300ml (each) of delicious and nourishing whisky/Cognac.
snow report
17. You make an invaluable contribution to piste safety in bad vis, by marking the piste centre line when having a sit down and a chat...
snow report
@Timmycb5, seen 'em, nah, even the double walled ones are wafer thin steel - you'll just end up with a leaky flask with a big snowboarder shaped kink in it and another enormous bill for pole straightening from your Professional Pole Fitter.
snow conditions
18. you don't have to take two boards "just in case I get a powder day"
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:

Er, I do.

I take a hard boot alpine board (Swoard) and a soft boot powder board (Tanker 201) wherever I go.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a 3rd board, a rubble board, for dire conditions (mud patches, rocks, pebbles, gravel, etc.).
latest report
You can sit anywhere on the piste, by pretending to look like you have just fallen.

You can take your board in a gondola

You can walk down wee wee soaked stairs to the toilets without clinging to the wall looking like someone trying to find a light switch in the dark

You are never going to drop a pole when on a chair

Standing a board up in deep snow while visiting a hut or apres looks much better than ski’s
snow report
You get value for money from your insurance/realise you've been scammed by your insurer.
snow conditions
I lnow graphics don't count but we do have some more real estate for some artwork. Some ski makers have followed but most skis have all the artistic flare of a man's washbag from the 1980s
ski holidays
19. You don't waste powder like almost all skiers seem to do. Seriously, almost no one can really rip in powder on skis - it just looks pedestrian.

crosbie wrote:
I take a hard boot alpine board (Swoard) and a soft boot powder board (Tanker 201) wherever I go...
I used to carry a Kessler SL and a soft boot powder board, although I rode both hard. Then a couple seasons back they invented the Hometown Hero, the first board I've ever come across which rips deep back country powder and hardpack. That's not close to being true for skiing, where you want camber for hardpack and reverse-camber for powder, probably.

20. Snowboards are quicker in powder.
21. Snowboards rip, the best skiers can do is pretend they have a single ski, which monoskiers do better.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I lnow graphics don't count but we do have some more real estate for some artwork. Some ski makers have followed but most skis have all the artistic flare of a man's washbag from the 1980s

I refer you again to my AI collab graphic

snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:

This seriously is the biggest single benefit of boarding. Beyond the natural feeling of pow obvs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy