Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

closing SH account

Poster: A snowHead
How do you close snowheads user accounts, had a little hunt about on here but couldn't find how to do that? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean delete and remove all its posts? or just remove the persons details from the system?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Klammertime, AFIK, you can't, you just stop using the account. I don't think that the the right to erasure applies to a snowHeads account.

There was a stackexchange discussion here: https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/32361/does-a-user-have-the-right-to-request-their-forum-posts-deleted
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ this - when its come up before, IIRC the line taken by the mods is leave posts and go for anonymisation - but then you're already anonymous...
You, of course, do have the right to go through the threads and null-edit out any of your posts, but anything which quotes your writing does not have to be edited.
If you're overly concerned, I suggest you reach out directly to one of the moderators and discuss the issue.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok thanks.....'you can check out any time you like but you can never leave' Blush
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More 'Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But why?

What do you wish “deleting” an account to accomplish?

How is that different from not ever logging in (say you stop skiing)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As above, the question is what are you trying to achieve?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

Why does that matter l and is it any of SH business? If he wants to he wants to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
But why?

What do you wish “deleting” an account to accomplish?

How is that different from not ever logging in (say you stop skiing)?

Just a neat and tidy thing, nothing too deep. Haven't skied in 5 years, may never ski again (lotto win aside), rarely contribute these days.

Doesn't bother me but I thought it normal to come off a database if not an active member. Don't need to be receiving promo emails etc.

Doesn't bother me either way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klammertime wrote:

Doesn't bother me but I thought it normal to come off a database if not an active member. Don't need to be receiving promo emails etc.

Doesn't bother me either way.

Just go into your forum and personal profiles, delete details and adjust settings to stop notifications.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Layne wrote:

Why does that matter l and is it any of SH business? If he wants to he wants to.

The answer may change depending on the answer.

As it happens it appears they just don't want to receive emails - which is very different to being expunged.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you undertake work for the security services or key police agencies, you will be advised to remove your digital 'footprint' as much as possible. Foreign security services and international organised crime have substantial resources and technology to help them trawl social media, to help them identify and then target people in such agencies. Someone may reveal personal information that's innocuous enough on a ski forum, at a time when they weren't in a sensitive job, but cross-referenced with content on other platforms and forums, reveals more about them than is healthy when they move to a more sensitive role. This is just one reason why someone might want to be deleted, along with their posts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm pretty sure that under GDPR you have the right to be deleted.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MorningGory, the first link on my post above is from the ICO.
latest report
MorningGory wrote:
I'm pretty sure that under GDPR you have the right to be deleted.

You are 100% right, but I guess that snowheads is a UK site, and then GDPR no longer applies.
latest report
@DanishRider, the EU legislation was fixed into UK law on exiting the EU so its the same as it hasn’t been changed.
latest report
@DanishRider, we agreed to keep it
snow report
achilles wrote:

Or more clearly (from Achilles post): NO you don't have the right to ask the forum owner to go through every thread and anonymise/delete your postings but they must delete your profile on request.
snow report
davidof wrote:
achilles wrote:

Or more clearly (from Achilles post): NO you don't have the right to ask the forum owner to go through every thread and anonymise/delete your postings but they must delete your profile on request.

absolutely , old threads would read a bit weird if posts disappeared when a user did. However any personal details of the user must be deleted upon request
snow report
t44tomo wrote:
...However any personal details of the user must be deleted upon request

As I said above, pretty sure you can go into your profiles and delete it yourself.
ski holidays
If you delete some of your Snowheads accounts, who’s going to agree with you?
ski holidays
More to the point, isn’t it sad that @Klammertime feels he/she/it is unlikely to ever ski again?
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:
More to the point, isn’t it sad that @Klammertime feels he/she/it is unlikely to ever ski again?

Not necessary, depending on the reason for that.

If the reason is involuntary (medical, financial), yes, that would be sad.

However, some people can have personal reason to voluntarily stop activities and see no conceivable reason to ever engage in it in the future at all.

I have 2 activities that I used to be very passionate about but no longer do and had no intention to ever do again. It’s just I found something else that I’m even more passionate about, or have better access to.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-02-23 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@abc, I still think it sad to feel that way.
latest report
Presumably, it’s technically possible to write an app to run on a user device that would automate deletion of every one of your posts? Can’t I already do this manually, by doing an Advanced Search? What that can’t do, of course, is delete posts quoted by other users - only the platform could do that. There may even be a platform function that does delete all of a user’s posts, but admin has decided not to use it.

Personally, I don’t think anyone’s contributions are so valuable that they can’t all be deleted. Yes, it may make some threads look weird or reduce the thread’s value. But it’s not like SnowHeads is CERN. And anyway, who reads the entirety of any long multi-page thread before posting? And most topics get resurrected as new threads on a regular basis anyway.

Although obviously, my contributions re winter tyres and snow chains would be an exception. They should remain fixed for future generations as a priceless archive on these topics.
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:

Not if She/He/Them/They/Whatever see sense and takes Snowboarding lessons !! NehNeh
snow report
Don't we all have to accept these days that "once it's on the internet it's there forever". Isn't that what we drum into the kids? I can't delete an unwisely hasty Whatsapp message!! And I've made a few of those. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, you can delete what's app messages
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I think you can feel like you have deleted them but I think they are recoverable and certainly screen shotable.

Basically there is "delete" and then there is "leave no trace". The latter isn't always that easy.
snow report
Quote:

you can delete what's app messages

you can delete them for yourself, but that doesn't remove them from the feed of whoever you sent them to. There's a "delete for everybody" option but that's only immediately after you've sent it.
snow report
@pam w, I just selected an old message that had subsequent replies...delete for everyone is an option
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think you can feel like you have deleted them but I think they are recoverable and certainly screen shotable.

Basically there is "delete" and then there is "leave no trace". The latter isn't always that easy.

I know the difference
latest report
Well I didn't get that option when I checked just now. I wonder if I've missed something in the set up?
snow conditions
I’ve been on fora/BBS where a user leaves and all of their original posts disappeared, only leaving when they have been quoted by other people. I never knew if it was automated by the software itself or the forum admins, or whether that person had sat up for hours “Find all posts by me” and manually deleted each.

I see on one of my other regulars that they recently changed the permissions and we can no longer delete our own posts, apparently to keep the flow of the threads but irritating when there are accidental double posts etc. all we can do now is edit the post and put a full stop (hmm I should try a space) and the software says “Edited by (user) at (time)” so it’s clear for others. Selective disappearance of posts can be nasty in a heated argument.
ski holidays
@pam w, dunno..you can see the message i selected is behind the delete options box. You can select a message from the other person and you onl6 get the option to delete it for you

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-02-23 11:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, enjoy your cruise Toofy Grin
snow report
@denfinella, lol...its a shop, not a ship...can't you see? Laughing
snow conditions
@Orange200, you can't delete your own posts here once there's been subsequent reply (only edit them).

Klammertime wrote:
abc wrote:
...What do you wish “deleting” an account to accomplish?...

...Don't need to be receiving promo emails...

I hope @Klammertime, has managed to adjust his forum settings, otherwise he's getting loads of reply notifications Shocked
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
@abc, I still think it sad to feel that way.

I’m not sad about giving them up.

I was also not sad about giving up my teddy bears when my family moved. (I was already living at uni at the time). Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy