Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings during transport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, after years of using hire skis I’ve just purchased skis I love from the hire shop. Hurray!!!
I have a Dakine low roller bag in which the skis are placed side by side and the boots are placed on top of the skis at bottom of bag.
Please can you tell me if, when transporting, I should lock the bindings (in the position they are in when the boots are in them) or leave them open?
I’m worried that if I leave them open, the little bits that stick out under the ski will get damaged in transit….(especially with those wonderful baggage handlers!) rolling eyes
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get bands to hold the 'brakes' out of the way (The brakes are the bits that sick out of the bottom)

https://skiracing.co.uk/product/brake-retainer-bands-pack-of-10/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent. Thanks so much. I appreciate the recommendation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nervous Nellie,

Google how to use Ski brake retainers. that will show you haw to put them on.

I'm not sure if these are the answer to your 'packing dilema' but I'm sure other snowheads might be able to chip in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some heavy duty hair bobbles work well for holding ski brakes up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If they're hire skis then the bindings are likely on rails - take the heel bindings (with brakes) off and put them back on when you arrive.

And if you've not done it before, make a note of the placement - there'll be a 'ladder' of boot sizes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just put them together like you would at a cafe then wrap a hoodie round them. No bother.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We use old laces or my old hair bands to keep the brakes down during transport if the bindings are staying on. Bubble wrap the skis & secure this with ski ties. Normal fabric ski bag. Fingers crossed, never had an issue.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all your replies. Will check out the various bands/hair bands for strapping up but also will see how easy it is to remove the bindings altogether.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just 2 pieces of string tied off at the right length looped over the binding will keep the brakes up out of the way. No need to spend any money at all (unless you don't have any string)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
endoman wrote:
Just put them together like you would at a cafe then wrap a hoodie round them. No bother.

This what I do..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
endoman wrote:

This what I do..
I do this too, I wouldn't put my ski boots in the cargo though, I always bring those in my carry on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skis are pretty robust. Just stick them in the bag and get them out when you’re in the resort. Bubble wrap seems a lot of faff for no reason.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grantley1988, bubble wrap saves destroying the clothes you stuff in with the skis, it's not to protect the skis, at least for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle,
Same here, I tape a newspaper round the bindings and shield the edges with pipe insulation to protect the bag and its other contents. The skis are designed to bounce down mountains, they can look after themselves.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Grantley1988, bubble wrap saves destroying the clothes you stuff in with the skis, it's not to protect the skis, at least for me.

Ahh okay. I’ve bought a few packing cubes to protect all my gear. Great for travel. Wash all my gear when back and then back in the ski bag and in the loft they go!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy