Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Ellmau what's there to see?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we have some time to kill between leaving Skiwelt, Ellmau and travelling back to Munich Airport. About 2 or 3 hours. We have a hire car, so any suggestions for easy stops on route for Sunday 19th Feb? What's open on Sunday in Germany?

Is St Johan worth a short stroll and a bite to eat?

Is there something touristy that might be worth a look around briefly? I'm thinking there is the Swarovski place but that's in the wrong direction. Is there anything similar heading back to Munich?

Have the wife and two teens in tow.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I would just keep skiing but I think they would have had enough by then.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neuschwanstein Castle?

Anything on at Theresienwiese?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neuschwanstein involves an awful long detour. If you are keen to look at some of Ludwig II's handiwork there is Herrencheimsee you get a boat ride with nice views too, not far off the A8 between Rosenheim & Salzburg https://www.chiemsee-schifffahrt.de/de/home. Plenty of attractive Bavarian villages. Avoid central Munich as the Security Conference is on, the place will be full of Police and protestors (this year an "interesting" mix of anti NATO pro Putin fascists and anti NATO trots & anarchists who could end up fighting each other as well as the Police!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schlosswirtschaft Maxlrain
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@musher, perhaps not ideal for teens Very Happy though it is decent beer and a nice spot
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish,
My 2 like it there Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My two are 13 and 16, always appreciate good nosh and vibes. Maybe it’s worth a stop.

We arrived at Ellmau today and the queues going back into Germany from Austria were extremely long due to a Germany border cursory check on the motorway. So I think we need to hit the road earlier next Sunday and get back to Munich airport earlier than I thought to avoid that tailback and also avoid the Skiwelt traffic trying to get from the resort area back to Germany. So we might be exploring some villages en route it looks like.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowheeeed wrote:
My two are 13 and 16, always appreciate good nosh and vibes. Maybe it’s worth a stop.

We arrived at Ellmau today and the queues going back into Germany from Austria were extremely long due to a Germany border cursory check on the motorway. So I think we need to hit the road earlier next Sunday and get back to Munich airport earlier than I thought to avoid that tailback and also avoid the Skiwelt traffic trying to get from the resort area back to Germany. So we might be exploring some villages en route it looks like.

I'd definitely leave extra time if I were you. We very nearly missed our flight a few years ago, getting back from Hofgarten to Munich Airport. The traffic was dreadful and then finding our way to a petrol station and to the car drop-off point was time-consuming. When we boarded the flight it was fairly empty - the stewards seemed to think quite a lot of people had missed it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Erding, 10 minutes from Munich airport. Home of Erdinger beer, a pretty town and a good spot for a wander round for an hour and something to eat.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good tips

Thanks all

Erdinger sounds good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowheeeed, The traffic on a Sunday afternoon towards Munich can be pretty bad. There is not much choice of route, there is a minor road from St Johann north that goes past a village called Kössen and into Bavaria, eventually you end up at the A8 near the Chiemsee (there is a small town Prien which has plenty of places by the side of the lake - not sure about winter, and the boats I mentioned earlier). However the traffic back to Munich can still be bad even if you miss out the Inntal autobahn.

The petrol station at the airport is not well signposted, it is on the north side of the dual carriage way. As you enter the airport from the autobahn (assuming you come that way) you will see hangers etc on your right the petrol station is on the other side, you need to come off the road and cross over a bridge to get there. If you come cross country there is also a petrol station on the other (eastern) side. If you go to Erding that's the side you will approach from.

If all you are after is pig & beer there is a decent spot at the airport, the Airbraü, near the car hire desks between the terminals.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andybomb1 wrote:
Erding, 10 minutes from Munich airport. Home of Erdinger beer, a pretty town and a good spot for a wander round for an hour and something to eat.

We stayed at the brewery hotel, very good snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are talking Erding then a couple of hours at Erding Therme is a must! It’s like a centre parcs swimming complex x 10!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gored wrote:
Neuschwanstein Castle?

Anything on at Theresienwiese?
Neuschwanstein is about as far off the track as you can get. It is open in winter these days though...
Theresienwiese is mostly a huge empty square of tarmac in winter, so not really all that interesting. They hold the Frühlingsfest there end of April, but that doesn't fit for your plan!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Leisurely lunch here is nice.....DINZLER Kaffeerösterei Wendling 15, 83737 Irschenberg, Germany, if the weather is nice, sit out the back and enjoy the views of the Mountains
snow report
If you ever want to eat right by the airport then Et Cetera in Freising is a nice bar doing Italian style food. The pizza is especially good.

Another place we've stopped off a few times on the way to/from the SkiWelt is the Hotel Schmied in Kochel, always had great service there. Nearby is the fabulous Kochler Stuben, but I suspect that might not be open in winter.
latest report
@s397cyg, do you know if you need towels for the Therme? We don’t have any with us as we have been staying in a hotel this week.

Currently the plan is maybe stop by at the cafe that was suggested halfway between Skiwelt and Erding. Then go to Erding town, the Therme could be an add on. It would be a huge hit with the teens.

It’s been super warm at Skiwelt this week. One lift read 12.4c today at 2pm. Snow has been slushy and wet. Sticky in parts. We’ve had a great week with good weather and the snow has held quite well on North facing slopes. It’s a nice area to ski. Today (Saturday) has been quiet being changeover day. Great for getting over to Hohe Salve from Ellmau. Even the South facing ones were ok given the warm sunshine. The lower traffic has helped.
ski holidays
Just had a thought, we might stop by the Allianz Arena, son is a big footy fan. Could do a museum tour if it’s a rainy day
allianz-arena.com. It’s literally right next to the motorway and we saw it on the way from Munich airport.
snow report
@snowheeeed,
We've been to so many in Austria that I can't say for certain of we did Erding Therme, but you will be able to get towels for a small fee. It's a civilised country snowHead
snow report
@snowheeeed

https://www.therme-erding.de/en/tropical-spa-sauna/lageplan-uebersicht/

Looks like they do see faq.

Never been at fasching so could be packed, as could most things…
snow conditions
you can hire towels at the therm.
ski holidays
Rosenheim was lovely when we had a wander round in October, en-route to MUC.

Some nice places for coffee and cake Very Happy

ski holidays
Ended up going to Allianz Arena for the Museum tour, Erding for a cafe (saw the Fasching stage and lots of random fancy dress in the main square), the Airbraü for pork knuckle and pork belly dinner (great shout). The Therme (did drive right past it) and Rosenheim will have to wait for next time. All quite easy to get to, probably due to being Sunday lunchtime and early afternoon. Pleased we left SkiWelt early, traffic was building going into Germany even at 11:30am, Google Maps took us through Kufstein town and along the other side of the river/Motorway to avoid the traffic and cursory border checks.

Allianz Arena - museum was interesting enough for non-diehards.
Erding - nice town, cafe was good, much was closed on a Sunday. Fasching main stage/carnival was not understandable if you are not fluent in German.
Aibrau - very nice pork dinner.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy