Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria resort advice needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m planning on taking my partner on her first ever trip to the mountains in mid January next year, she’d prefer to go to Austria and it will be a non skiing holiday. She’d like to be based in a snowy pretty village with skiing at village level for her to watch as well as scenic walks and sledding/ tobogganing etc. I’m restricted to what Crystal ski has to offer and atm I can see Alpbach, kaprun, zell am see,st Johan in Tyrol, galtur, niederau,bad gastein,rauris, schadlming and soll. Which of these would best offer me my requirements? Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowlover66, My first ever ski trip was to Alpbach and it was voted by the Austrians themselves in a TV poll as their prettiest village, so that would be my choice. Alternatively Zell am See has the pretty lake which can be walked around, and Schladming has quite a nice town centre. I think tobogganing can be done in all of these.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 12-02-23 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell am See is one of the better destinations for non-skiing winter holidays. It's a small attractive town, with a lot more going on than typical ski resorts and has good eating/apres ski.

The lakeside location also adds an extra dimension. (Zell is a popular summer resort.) The lake occasionally freezes in January, allowing you to walk across. Alternatively, if you go in March it can quite warm and summery. For a non skier, it's probably nicer in mid-March than January (slushy snow not being an issue).

Zell also has the benefit of main line rail links, making for easy pleasurable trips to Salzburg or Kitzbuhel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm based in Niederau and wouldn't recommend it for non skiers. Alpbach, St Johan, Kitzbuel and Zell am See are places I am familiar with and will be far better for a non skier. I don't know enough about the other areas you mention to comment other than Zell is a better bet than Kaprun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bad Gastein has a really good spa for a reasonable price and is very pretty. Of the others St. Johann works on the basis that it's 10 minutes on the train to Kitzbuehel (and various other places) which adds to what you can do. Zell is probably the easiest one to access Salzburg from and is a proper town unlike some of the others which are quite villages during the day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For things to do for the non-skier, I wouldn't look too much further than Zell am See or Bad Gastein.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Zell Am See. I’ve just been and took my mam for a break. She had never been to a ski resort and was worried about being cold. She LOVED it. Really enjoyed walking around the village, the lake, the shops. One of the days I got her a lift pass and took her up the mountain for lunch and drinks and on the final day said she didn’t want any to go all the way at to Austria and see people skiing and not give it a go, so she had a lesson in Kaprun which is lovely. (From a Woman who “can’t see the point in skiing” she loved it and wants to book next year!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rach1257, that’s a lovely story!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you I was very proud of her - 67 and she was so chuffed sliding down the hill the first time. She fell once and I thought oh that’ll be that now but no she laughed learned to get her skiis off while on the ground and then went again!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not much to add be be aware that in the lower resorts it's probably no more than a 50/50 chance that there will be snow in the village it's self. But once your over the novelty, it's better that the streets are clear.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the great advice, zell is definitely getting recommendations so will research that one, the one thing she’s really hoping for is a snowy village so Seefeld has now come into the reckoning as it’s at a height of 1180 meters and she fancy’s a trip into Innsbruck, anyone know much about this resort?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've been to Rauris twice. It is a lovely little town. There's a 2km toboggan run accessed from the Kreuzbodenbahn chairlift. I think the Crystal Hotel in the area is close to that lift.

She can watch people ski on the nursery run which is found next to the Hochalmbahnen lift.

The Hochalmbalm lift has two stops. The first stop, known as the Middle Station stops right outside a mountain restaurant, so it would be possible for her to come up and meet you for lunch on the mountain and watch skiers come down the final section before the restaurant.

The Kreuzbodenbahn chairlift also drops you at Kreuzbodenhutte, which is another lovely mountain restaurant, with incredible views and a better spot for watching skiers swish past as it is in the middle of a red run and the end of a blue run.

There are walks all along the mountain as I've seen people literally walking their dogs along the cattracks.

In fact, you can walk the Blue 1 ski run from Hochalmbalm to Kreuzboden. It's a gentle blue, or a nice walk. Very common to pass walkers along it. She could come up in the gondola and meet you for a midmorning coffee, then you take off to ski for a bit, she could walk along Blue 1, meet you at Kreuzbodenhutte for lunch and then either download in the Chair, or take the 2km toboggan run down.

Most of the mountain is accessible on foot, and it was very common to see people walking all over it, keeping to the sides of the pistes near the trees. There's a mutual respect for walkers and skiers there.

She can access the summit via Gipfelbahn. She just needs to take the Hochalmbalm up to the top, then walk down along the trees until she gets to the Gipfelbahnstation. I'd download from there rather than walking down, but the views are 360 and spectacular from the top. Also worth going up from Kreuzboden on the Waldam lift. Not sure about walks from there, but another one worth going to for the views. There's also a frame up there for photo ops.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just realised you said a non-skiing holiday. So ignore the bit about you skiing to meet her, and focus on the bits about walking.

Rauris is about 25 minutes from Zell, and there's a bus to both there and the train station from Rauris, so scope for exploring further afield if you wish.

It's a shame you're restricted to Crystal as we stayed here the last time we were in Rauris. Nothing quite like watching skiers from the sauna...

https://www.booking.com/Share-nQjGuZ
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowlover66, when you talk about "skiing at village level" does that mean that your partner is set against going up in a lift? That would seriously limit what you can do in some places.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Owlette, thank you for that very detailed report, Will do some research on Rauris as well.
@pam w, she says she has no desire to go on any lifts, this may change when she gets there but for now if she can walk, ski watch at village level, sled and enjoy hotel spa facilities she’ll be more than happy
latest report
@Snowlover66, when you shed...do you mean tobogganing? If so she'll need to get up the mountain somehow, also check your insurance as she will need winter sports cover...one of my policies didn't cover it at all some years ago
snow conditions
Then the Carpe Solem Resort that I've linked above will be perfect for her. It was fabulous when we stayed.

Unfortunately she won't be able to toboggan without going on the lift. If she's nervous, I'd suggest that the Hochalmbalm lift is less daunting than the Kreuzbodenbahn chair, as that takes you up an almost vertical face.

Will you be skiing?
ski holidays
Snowlover66 wrote:
Thank you for all the great advice, zell is definitely getting recommendations so will research that one, the one thing she’s really hoping for is a snowy village so Seefeld has now come into the reckoning as it’s at a height of 1180 meters and she fancy’s a trip into Innsbruck, anyone know much about this resort?

Seefeld is more dedicated to Langlauf-cros country how ever alpine skiing is not bad at all.
I was there many times few years ago in order to learn the cros country (without a big success) however i find the place really nice.
Is a little bit fancy with many big 4* Hotels, but the village centre is really nice, with some nice shops, and places to eat/drink. Except that they have a nice komplex with swimming pools etc, and there is a really nice place to chill out exactly where the cross/country slopes start.

It is a little bit more fancy as other places but not sooooo glamour as Lech or Kitz.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I think she’d be happy to just walk up a slope with a plastic tray thing but tbh the sledding thing is no deal breaker
@Owlette, I’m not planning on skiing as I go twice a year on my own to get my fix that’s not to say I won’t do half a day maybe if she’s happy to do something on her own.
@turms2, thanks for the seefeld review, she’s really liking the sound of that combined with a trip or two to Innsbruck
snow conditions
She can definitely do that on the nursery slope in Rauris. You can buy the trays from the Intersport on the ground floor of Carpe Solem, or at one of the shops in the town. It's not a huge resort, so plenty of opportunity for half a day whilst she's in the spa. I did that on Christmas afternoon whilst Mr. O sat in a hammock beside the pool with his book.
We can highly recommend the massage therapist you contact via Reception. He is amazing. We had a full body massage each. Cost €60 each.
ski holidays
Snowlover66 wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think she’d be happy to just walk up a slope with a plastic tray thing but tbh the sledding thing is no deal breaker
@Owlette, I’m not planning on skiing as I go twice a year on my own to get my fix that’s not to say I won’t do half a day maybe if she’s happy to do something on her own.
@turms2, thanks for the seefeld review, she’s really liking the sound of that combined with a trip or two to Innsbruck

if you book there, definitely worth a visit (or more) to Innsbruck
It is my favorite city in Europe, and my first visit there got me the "virus" to leave Greece and head somewhere near Alps.
And definitely worth a visit in swarovski kristallwelten
And https://www.woods-seefeld.com/terrasse/ for a couple of (glamour) drinks with a nice view

PS although with swarovski your bank account will be not so happy , however happy Mrs = Happy Holiday.

From the other choices you mentioned, deifnitely Zell am See / Kaprun is the leader. Zell is lovely to walk through the old down, Kaprun is also not so bad as village (typish Austrian Ski Destination) and you could manage a half day skiing if you leave Mrs in the https://www.tauernspakaprun.com/ for a half day.

Done it many years ago during in our holidays as my wife announced that she was pregnant. I left there in the spa, get up for 2-3 hours skiing , and then meet her also in Spa. Awesome.....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 14-02-23 11:28; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
however happy Mrs = Happy Holiday.

+1 for this. And I'm the Mrs in our house so can confirm.
ski holidays
@turms2, haha wise words indeed.
She is certainly favouring an Innsbruck visit or two so now trying to decide seefeld or possibly Igls ,which seems more convenient for the city trips, with her wanting to give herself as much chance as possible for a snowy village does anyone know if one is much better historically than the other, I know nothings guaranteed but just wanna give her the best chance.
ski holidays
definitely Seefeld. Dont forget : Seefeld is a cross country destination. That means the need snow at base level.

Igls elevation is at 870 m.
Seefeld ca 1.200 m. it is a Hochplateau

Igls is more like a Suburb from Innsbruck. Seefeld is a unigue travel destination. You can go to Innsbruck relativ easy (ok not as from Igls) but Seefeld is a really nice place. I dont know if Igls is so touristik as Seefeld. You may think better this way, but it is not my style to book somewhere where usually live local people etc.
snow report
Lech will tick all the boxes, but it is not the cheapest place in Austria. Tobogganing from Hochlech (you catch a lift and then come back down on the sled), snowy walks to Zug, snow in the Village guaranteed. And fantastic skiing too!
ski holidays
Thank you all for the many wonderful resort reviews, much appreciated and will now do some more serious research and hopefully make a decision soon.
ski holidays
+1 for Zell am See. Went last year with the OH who is a non skier. She walked round the lake twice and all the way to Kaprun another time. She also took the cable car to the top for the views, and there are walks along the ridge

It has a train station so Salzburg could be a very easy day trip; more to do there than Innsbruck

For you the skiing will be better in Zell than anywhere close to Innsbruck - mostly because of the Saalbach link as Zell isn't huge
snow report
@buchanan101, thanks for that info, zell has had so many recommendations from other snowheads that I think it has become the new favourite for our needs
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowlover66 wrote:
@buchanan101, thanks for that info, zell has had so many recommendations from other snowheads that I think it has become the new favourite for our needs

You can ski watch in two places - one is by the main group of lifts up the road in to the centre of the horseshoe - very much nursery slopes. There are two lifts right to the top, or nearly there; one Porsche designed cable car and one gondola. Walks at the top, restaurant at the top of the cable car to look at the views and ski watch from.

Entertainment-wise you can ski watch at the bottom of the City Express (our hotel was right by that). Can be carnage at the end of the day - narrow and gets really mogully. There's some walking round the top of that gondola

So plenty of walking up the mountain, and plenty in the valley, round the lake etc. And it's a little town (more small town than village) - the main road tunnels underneath it so it's not too busy. The lakeside walks are lovely especially in the sunshine. It rarely freezes these days though - did when I was there in the 80s.
latest report
@buchanan101, thank you, sounds perfect
latest report
Snowlover66 wrote:

Have been to both Zell am See and Seefeld on several times. As others have mentioned you can walk around the lake in Zell, and sometimes across it

Both villages are charming in their own way with Zell being more of a small town with nice pedestrian walkways and little through traffic whilst Seefeld is mostly pedestrianised. Plenty of coffee / cake type cafes in each and other activities.

Zell has it's own ski area with lots of easy blue and red runs, it is also only a bus ride away from Kaprun which has a glacier so pretty snow sure.

Seefeld has a coupe of easy blue and red runs on it's 2 x downhill areas but is renowned for cross country skiing with approx 250kms of linked trails throughout the area and a good network of cleared winter walking paths
https://www.seefeld.com/

From Zell it is easy to get a train to Salzburg which is worth a day trip. Equally Zeefeld has a train station and only takes approx 30 minutes on the train to Innsbruck.

fellow snowhead Clarky 999 lives in innsbruck and I am sure will be along soon to give you further advice, or alternatively you could pm him

Hope that all the info on here has been of some help and wish you a great trip to whichever resort you choose
latest report
@nahdendee, thank you for that great detailed comparison, I’m sure either resort wil more than fulfill our needs.
ski holidays
@nahdendee, a huge benefit of Zell now is the link to Saalbach as the Schmittenhohe area itself is not that big (though as big as Seefeld?) and the pistes (but not the lifts) can be a bit crowded - especially on the southern arm of the mountain where the blues are. The best area is the group of 3 shortish reds on the Sonnkogel (yup, it gets sunny) - many see red on the map and stay away
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
@nahdendee, a huge benefit of Zell now is the link to Saalbach as the Schmittenhohe area itself is not that big (though as big as Seefeld?) and the pistes (but not the lifts) can be a bit crowded - especially on the southern arm of the mountain where the blues are. The best area is the group of 3 shortish reds on the Sonnkogel (yup, it gets sunny) - many see red on the map and stay away

I think the Schmittenhoe area above Zell has 77k of pistes, and a further 60km at Maiskogel/ Kaprun (plus 300+ in the Saalbach ski circus). Seefeld 27km of pistes (as pointed out its more a cross country skiing centre with a bit of downhill tacked on). Sonnkogel is the place to head in the mornings as its less convenient end to get to for most people. Then migrate away in the afternoon as its gets cut up as the sun takes effect.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, @t44tomo, thanks for that but it’s gonna be a non skiing holiday, the other half is hoping for a snowy village with some walks and hotel spa relaxation. Does anyone know if Zell or Seefeld has a welcome winter card like some other resorts which allows free travel to other local areas without buying a lift pass?
ski holidays
Snowlover66 wrote:
@buchanan101, @t44tomo, thanks for that but it’s gonna be a non skiing holiday, the other half is hoping for a snowy village with some walks and hotel spa relaxation. Does anyone know if Zell or Seefeld has a welcome winter card like some other resorts which allows free travel to other local areas without buying a lift pass?

When are you going because "snowy village" is rather hit or miss with most lower lying Tirol resorts (which are typically around the 750m to 850m mark - Saalbach is a bit higher at 1000m). If you wanted a snowy village in Austria with a good standard of hotels then you'd have to go high to be sure - somewhere like Obergurgl (at 1500m) would fit that part of the bill, and you can certainly see a lot of skiing going on, but it's a bit limited for non skiing things to do; went with OH a few years ago and she had to do essentially the same walk every day, and it's rather remote.

Not sure about travel card, but there's a pretty comprehensive bus service in Zell - I'm sure you can afford the odd bus ticket if you can afford a nice hotel with spa facilities!
snow conditions
@buchanan101, haha yeah I guess travel wouldn’t be too expensive, it’s just I was considering Igls and that had some card with free bus, tram and even a cable car ride, I’d be going mid to end of January, I’m guessing the snow in the village will be pot luck but as long as there’s snow around to walk on she’ll be happy enough
snow report
Snowlover66 wrote:
@buchanan101, haha yeah I guess travel wouldn’t be too expensive, it’s just I was considering Igls and that had some card with free bus, tram and even a cable car ride, I’d be going mid to end of January, I’m guessing the snow in the village will be pot luck but as long as there’s snow around to walk on she’ll be happy enough

End of January - if snow has fallen it *should* be cold enough and daylight hours short enough for it stay around. Ellmau at end of January this year had snow at village level but that only arrived the week before I went.

You may get a more pleasant non skiing holiday in early March maybe - weather more likely to be good, but less likely to have village level snow. You can get some really nice spring days in Austria at that time.

Not sure about free travel around Zell; I know it costs for a cable car trip (OH did it one day to meet me for lunch); I think there's a non skiers pass of some sort
ski holidays
If you base yourselves in Zell am See, you can easily get the 680 bus to Saalbach and see plenty of skiing at village level. In fact, if you walk the short distance up to the Hinterhag Alm or the Soul House, you can sit in the sun and be in the thick of the skiing. And a cheap walker’s pass can be bought for the gondolas, so you have some very nice mountain restaurants with beautiful views as another option. Saalbach is a real ski village (hosting the World Cup in 2025), whereas Zell am See is more of a town.
latest report
@tatmanstours, thanks, that sounds very good, would be nice to revisit that area, went Hinterglemm about 10 years ago.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy