Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What made you pick that resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Are you going somewhere different this year or do you always head to the same place?

What made you pick the location?

Why do you love your ‘go to’ resort?

Tell me how you pick your destination!! Sell it to the forum with pics if you want.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me, I used to always go to Cham because we had friends there. Thought it was the bees knees until i broadened my horizons and tried new places.

Mixed it up after that but fell in love with Val Thorens. For me, there’s no where like it.

Guaranteed snow, amazing places to ski and mooch about all day, good apres ski and views to die for.

Can’t see me changing for a while.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try to always go to a different ski resort but not always possible. Saturday, off to Selva - never been before.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done Rauris, Austria twice. The first time was because it was recommended to us by a colleague who took his children there every year, and they both learned to ski there. He sold it as family and beginner friendly, which we found to be true.

We went for the second time as we did love it there (it is beautiful) and Mr. O in particular was keen to return. It's only a tiny resort, and as beginners we didn't quite cover it all, so he was keen to return.

Snow conditions were trickier on our second visit, and I'd say it was the opposite of beginner and family friendly as a result (very, very icy).

We have decided on La Plagne for our next trip. This has been led by recommendations on here for somewhere with long, cruisey blues, and backed up by a friend who has been twice. I was also keen to visit a significantly larger resort after having done such a tiny one.

Mr. O wants to go at Christmas, I think Easter would be better. This is based on dire early season conditions this season and better driving conditions. We are still mid debate about this.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
“2hrs free childcare is included in the liftpass” = take my money
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Somewhere new every time (usually multiple ski areas, depending on size). I love exploring new places - sometimes they turn out to be not so great, but most of them are brilliant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to Obergurgl for our first family ski trip last December. I picked it because I wanted somewhere snow sure and suitable for beginners. I did lots of research including reading all the old threads on here. I thought it was quite difficult and the blues too steep in places for beginners. It was a beautiful place and the transfer was great. But the nightlife was non existent, apart from the Nederhutte which was extremely good fun! Overall I don’t think we will return.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halfhand, I'm with you..... very rarely go to the same place, although over 25 years it has happened a couple of times. Now the resort tends to be were I can get the sense of travel as opposed to steep and fast
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
El Tarter in Andorra, several times. Driveable from here, good English language tuition for young daughters, variety of runs, reliable snow.
Needed to get away from their non-EU phone bills to allow my now teens independence, so tried Formigal nearby. Won’t return.
Banff, because a travel agent offered me a cheap package in the late 90s, and I fell in love with it then and several times since.
Now just booked SkiWelt to see how we get on with it.
Honestly I prefer returning as then I don’t have to figure everything out each time. Walking a long way home from the lift isn’t fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we did family holidays we tried to go to a different place every season, since the kids ski independently we have only been to the dollies. In there we can afford a bit more luxuries then other places, food is excellent and piste grooming is second to none. And we are in love with the landscape
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too many mountains, too little time. Throw a dart, follow a friend, wherever the mood strikes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Vallandry as we had a good deal on a chalet with childcare when kids were little. We went back as we liked it and we knew where we could take the kids when they were learninbfg to ski.

20 years later and we’re still going Laughing

It’s a nice place, we know what we’re getting
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We like to try new places but our criteria is sunshine, groomed pistes and good food! Discovered the Dollies last year and will be returning next month with friends in tow. Would return to most places we have been to - even across the Pond except for La Plagne which I hated as I found it icy and soulless. It was also a bit of a walk from the bus stop and the apres ski was non-existent Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tried a few French resorts, Cervinia in Italy, Austrian Skiwelt, but for some unexplainable reason our hearts set on Grand Massif, so much that this year I bought a first ever season pass for it (well economics also played a role as it was only €550 if bought well in advance). But there is something there that I just like, probably because it’s not too high and has a lot of trees. It’s big enough to have a sense of travel but not too big at the same time to give a nice “home” feeling. Or maybe I am just too sentimental. Or liked the €550 deal. Whatever
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends on time of year & what I fancy.
Flights & transfers usually play a big part. Both costs & time.
ski holidays
A slick marketing campaign.
latest report
Toadman wrote:
A slick marketing campaign.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I picked the word "Avoriaz" out of a hat (literally) at a pre-season ski-guides' meeting in London 38 years ago. I'm still here Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I like combining any ski trip with doing some local sights, so mostly to begin with we were going somewhere new each time and flying to an interesting city, a weekend there, then off to the resort.

But for various reasons we have gone to the same places two out of three trips including one coming up. Once was when we had to divert last minute and went back to somewhere we knew as it made the switch easier, next trip is daughter’s choice and she likes stability so opted for somewhere we’d been.

But I would like to get back to going to new places, so many so little time!
ski holidays
We used to aim to pick three places every year. It used to be: 1 new, 1 where we’ve been before & lastly where our girl was doing a season. She has settled in Canada now, which makes visiting her + 2 others too much of a stretch. She’s coming to Europe in a fortnight so we can all ski together, dead excited. She was in Banff but has now moved to Kamloops and is raving about Sun Peaks. Guessing we’ll be there for a while. And 3 trips will be wishful thinking again.
latest report
bezthespaniard wrote:

My go to is Les Coches.

Great tree skiing. Sits in the middle of the domain. Large domain with great piste and off piste. Smallish, easy access driving, parking, great home runs.

Going to a place you know has many advantages.

That said I've been to quite a few others, most of which have been great and hope to go some others in the future.

I think we all have that wander lust when it comes to places to ski. But there are practical and financial considerations!
latest report
Just back from a few days in Les Sybelles, off to Alpe D'huez in 5.5 weeks. Visited both last year for the first time and loved them, so decided to go back!

One year I'll go on the birthday bash... mainly coz I know there will be a year when it's just me and I have the Dolomites quite far up my 'to do list'. Oh and am I'm a bit sociable!
ski holidays
I persuaded my syndicate (10 - 17 pax, now ages 12 - 50) to abandon Les Gets/Morzine after yet another year of disappointing snow coverage; and we found since 2017 that Les 3 Vallées had the perfect comibination of terrain, sheer size, conditions and amenities for extremely mixed ability punters, nothing else reasonably compares: other than the annoyingly long xfer time from GVA or LYS, we have this trip down to a science (TR for HT 23 coming soon). For my manifest sins, I am the tour director for this group, and I will never take us elsewhere. Subsets may go to CH, NA, Italy or Austria, but the whole syndicate will now always have its spiritual home in the Vallée de la Tarentaise.
snow conditions
I always return to a resort several times. It takes time to work out which lifts are slow or busy; which slopes are icy in the morning but delightful in the afternoon; where the best bumps form and what time of day to ski them; where to head when visibility is poor, the wind is up, or the snow is falling; and which places serves the best pizza, beer, burger, raclette and steak.

Pick your spot and learn to love it. New isn't always better.
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard, existence of a off piste guided groups that you can join on an ad-hoc basis is a big selling point for me, and is the rarity rather than the rule throughout the Alps. Train access from the UK is also a big selling for me. These two requirements make Val d'Isere my preferred resort although I do go to other places as well
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:

vertical, kms of pistes, speed of lift system, no of black pistes (that actually open)
ski holidays
After having kids we went to Chinaillon for first 3 years. Needed a small resort for kids to learn and for us not to have to rush back from far away to pick up.

After that we've done a different resort each year (bar 2 X COVID years) - but going bigger: Les Saisies, Tignes, Grand Massif (this year).

We drive so I try to get a resort that's not too far to drive to if possible (esp when going in Feb half term). We did Tignes at Easter.

Lots of research always done on this site and internet in general.

Fancy Val T at Easter in 2024. Kids will be 16 and 15 (non GCSE year) and it's where I learnt and went for my first 3 years....
latest report
My Go to resort is Ischgl. Snow sure, extensive area, great piste skiing and world class apres ski. Went first on the recommendation of a friend and never looked back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Somewhere new every time! Usually picked on the basis of reading a report on here/watching a competition on the telly/seeing something random on social media, looking up the piste map and accommodation options, and going 'looks like fun, let's go!'.

For us it's all about experiencing as many different places as possible, having started skiing as adults we have a lot to cram in! Laughing

This year we are in Are, Sweden (because Hygge, low hills, relaxed vibe) and Bansko (cheap, hectic, Eastern European fun). Next year we'll probably go back to Austria and actually re-visit a couple of places that we've previously loved (Saalbach, Skiwelt) alongside visiting some new places.
snow conditions
I would quite happily go to the dolomites forever.

Some really amazing hotels with great customer service , top notch food on the mountains (and not expensive), extensive pistes , good snowmaking , always upgrading infrastructure.
Beautiful landscape too.

Such a sense of travel in all directions (whereas in e.g. Val Disere - we ended up skiing the same runs over and over to get from A to B).

And if I ever get into it - there is good back country skiing to be had (with a guide) when conditions allow... and probably less fought over than other places as its not its raison d'etre

So far we have stayed in Selva (twice) , La Villa , Arabba (on the birthday bash) and this year San Cassiano in Feb (and a risky 1st week April back to Selva).

I liked La Villa , not as nice a town as Selva but better access to the skiing (OK we stayed opposite the gondola!). My wife would say Selva is her favourite so far.
snow report
@sheffskibod,
Quote:

I would quite happily go to the dolomites forever.

Some really amazing hotels with great customer service , top notch food on the mountains (and not expensive), extensive pistes , good snowmaking , always upgrading infrastructure.
Beautiful landscape too.

Such a sense of travel in all directions (whereas in e.g. Val Disere - we ended up skiing the same runs over and over to get from A to B).

Totally agreed
ski holidays
I’ve always tried to try different countries and resorts - just enjoy finding new places. Been to all usual suspects in Europe inc Yugoslavia when it was still a country! Very Happy
Last few years i’ve had to bear my newly learning OH and mental teenage lad in mind - and so have been keen to make sure to go to areas with options for mixed groups.
Last year was Corvara / Colfosco and ticked every single box - would go back in a heartbeat - massive area - dolomites are just ‘special’, great intermediate terrain and my lad got his fix of tough stuff.
This year we’ve just got back from Innsbruck area - having been to Austria many times but always to ‘big’ resorts Saalbach, St Anton, Lech, Solden, Obertaurn, Kitz, Skiwelt, etc i looked closely into Tirol - resorts surrounding Innsbruck. We stayed in fulpmes, but visited Stubai and Axamer - all brilliant (although Glacier was a bit scary for OH with snow and lowish vis!). Spent most of our time at Schlick 2000 which was ace for our mixed ability group.
Looking at dollies again for March but wow hotels have gone super expensive!! Might look into some lesser resorts away from main Sella Ronda - got 3 Zinnen and Aprica on short list for more ‘reasonable’ accommodation
ski holidays
I like to try new places, have tried a lot of different ski areas sometimes I return to ones I have visited before because they were nice, and the flights suited going there. I prefer Austria and Italy to France, and yes I have done the French resorts. A place I certainly will return to is the Sella Ronda, because each resort there has something to offer, and I didn't get it all in with one visit. Lift systems, good long runs, some good steeps, are a factor in my choosing a resort.
ski holidays
Depends.

Mostly, because that's where the best snow is at that point. In my humble opinion anywhere with good snow beats anywhere with worse snow (which is why reviews which are affected by the snow don't make much sense to me).

Sometimes because I have a sofa to sleep on or get free lift passes or some such. Sometimes because it's between here and where I'm going. Other times, because I've not been there before.
latest report
Look for good skiing over a wide area, and reasonably priced hotels. In my younger days, Val T, La Plagne and Tignes where my/our go to places. Great skiing and self catering (somewhere to doss). Gradually upgraded to catered chalet and the occasional hotel, always with groups of 10+

One year, just the family got a last minute deal to Kitzbuhel, (the bus journey from hotel to lifts never really appealed after my first ever ski holiday to Mayrhofen). Had a superb hotel, great skiing, clean and efficient, reminded of my childhood growing up in Germany. So stuck to Kitzbuhel for 8/9 visits. One disastrous visit to Obergurgl and Mayrhofen in the middle. Eventually skied out Kitz and some of the standards at our fave hotel had dropped.

Recommended a hotel in Galtur by a relative. went three years ago and loved it. The skiing in Ischgl will keep me going for a good few years, and the hotel is superb. The 15 minute bus to Ischgl is not an issue, never crowded and very regular. Skiing Ischgl is like skiing top french resorts with Austrian efficiency and hospitality
snow report
I/we have some favourites, like Morzine, because we know the area really well, and Tignes, although as a pair we've not done a proper holiday in Tignes, a long weekend last Easter, and we were also there at Christmas but not skiing as we had the dog, so was walking/basic touring. We'd like to do Tignes again as a proper holiday, and get a load of skiing in.

This year we went to Saalbach for the first time. We picked it for a few reasons:

1. I hadn't been to Austria since a ski trip in 2008, so wanted to see it again.
2. The other half learnt to ski in Mayrhofen in 2019 and loved the après, so wanted to try Austria again.
3. It's a big area with renowned après ski.

On top of that, we also brought the Superski lift pass as we had a hire car, so visited resorts on our way to and from Saalbach from Innsbruck, plus a couple of days out while we stayed in Saalbach (albeit one to a resort I was at in 2008).

So in total our trip last week saw us ski in:
Alpbach
Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Zell am See
Wagrain (was there in 2008)
Maria Alm
Zell am Ziller.

6 resorts, 5 of which were new for me.

Normally we pick locations with a Geneva flight, just because it works well with Bristol airport and where we live, we can fly 6pm Friday night, and come back on the 9pm Sunday flight and it gives us 8.5/9 days skiing with just the usual 5 days of A/L.

Now that i'm working my way through the instructor levels, i'm finding myself in new resorts purely because that's where courses are being run.

I was in Hintertux for a course start of December. I have a course end of March in Nendaz, and 3rd week of April in Engelberg.
I was planning on spending all of April in Tignes (minus the week in Engelberg), but now I have the course in Nendaz, i'm going to be staying in the outskirts of Verbier for April, as it makes sense with lift passes, plus less travel to Engelberg and back.

Next season, depending on what happens with finding any work in the mountains, we've said we'd like to go to Italy. I'm thinking Cervinia possibly, I was supposed to have been there last August for a course that was cancelled with the glaciers being shut.
If we don't do Cervinia, then I think we'd go for the Dolomites, but staying in a different area to where we've been before (Val di Fassa).
latest report
Power Mountain as it was cheap
Snowbasin as it had recently been upgraded for the Olympics
Snowbird because they allowed boarding
Alta because it's famous
Canyons because it was easy to find accommodation
Stryn because it was the only one open nearby in July.
Ricksgrensen because it was the best one open in June.
Gaustablick because it was close.
Hengyblick because there was literally nobody else skiing there.
OChsenkopf because it is near the inlaws'
Lech because gorm was shut due to wind.
Gorm because they had fresh in May
Nevis because of Easy Gully and the back corries
Coe because it's brilliant
Yads Moss because it was a shorter walk in than Raise.
Raise because it's the closest.
Flaine because a mate had an apartment there.
Courchevel because it was cheap ( yes, really, Crystal 2005)
La Plagne because Mark Warner always did special offers there.
Val Disere because it was cheap.
Tignes because it was open and had a better weather forecast than Fontainebleau that weekend in November.
Puy because Snowbizz go there.
Serre Chevalier cos it was cheap
Arabba because it was insanely cheap.
Ortisei because it was close to frankfurt fluggy ( yes really) and had free kids lift passes. ( ie it was cheap Laughing )
Wolkenstein because that's where a mate wanted to go.
Gressoney because if the powder rep ( and it was fairly cheap)
Engelberg because it was close to the airport.
Andermatt because it was cheap and had good off piste.
Zermatt because it was open and had good snow.
Seefeld because it was close
Glenshee because it had poo-poo loads of snow and stayed open during foot n mouth.
St Anton because it was very cheap, had great offpiste and was easy to organise and get to.
Serfaus because the missus had been as a kid
Soelden because it had great snow.
Stubai ditto
Fulpmes because it was cheap
Mayrhofen because the missus said so.
Gerlos as it was high and close
Soll because it was close
Saalbach because it looked good and was insanely cheap
snow conditions
Quote:

Lech because gorm was shut due to wind

@TheGeneralist, that's one helluva detour wink
ski holidays
bug. The scary thing is that I even mentally double checked whilst typing. Very Happy
latest report
Alpe d'Huez - going back again in a week or so after a brief hiatus to the 3V last year.
Looking forward to it. It is errr, just very pleasant without the pretentious feel of a Meribel or Courchevel but has the varied terrain and quantity of offering to match those resorts. Also, whilst not exactly cheap, you don't have to cack yourself as you enter a mountain restaurant. It is also very sunny - although that may have kybosched my week of blue sky now Very Happy

Les Arcs - I picked it originally as it was a very cheap apartment deal but returned as it is a fantastic and very interesting ski area - has a few very good bars, Arpette (although they may have spoilt that a bit with "improvements".

Valmorel - returned several times when my daughters were growing up as it is, simply, a great resort if you have kids.

La Rosiere - went to a fab chalet with youngest daughter first. We had a superb time and met some great people in quite a "social, drinking week" for me. The chalet staff and people really looked after my then 12 year old like she was one of the gang. I can never thank Ski Olympic enough for that trip - there was guiding then that was superb and the social side of the chalet was excellent. You know when you get those hols where you see your offspring evolve before your eyes - this was one of those occasions and no doubt shaped my daughter to be quite outgoing and independent and well mannered. I went back a few times as love the ski into Italy and La Roz is pretty - the long drags aren't that much of a drag to me and Black 3 and 5 in La Thuile, whilst steep as hell are wide and a nice challenge in the way that narrower blacks have no enjoyment.

All those resorts have one thing in common, other than being French - they are all surrounded by impressive peaks. The pasture land resorts don't do it for me in quite the same way.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy