Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blues Cruise Resort Suggestions Please

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a resort with plenty of blue runs, blue run back to village, probably Austria, doesn't have to be a large area, village close to pistes, plenty of restaurants, and an excellent hotel close to the slopes - too much to ask?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Saisies, Hotel Calgary, but that's not in Austria.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Saisies, Hotel Calgary, but that's not in Austria.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163777&highlight=
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Corvara; blues heaven and endless good hotels. Hotel Arkadia is right on the slopes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your criteria are contradictory. All ski resorts provide a variety of run colours, sometimes despite what they actually offer on the ground. The grading is somewhat variable depending upon the terrain as to how steep/difficult each run actually is. This means a resort with lots of blue runs will inevitably be massive, because to match its lots of blues, it will also have lots of reds and at least a few blacks!

Many Austrian resorts are more red than blue, but there are a few which are predominantly easier. Austria also tends to have towns/villages in a valley, slightly away from the ski area. There are also lots of resorts where to get between the blue bits, you need to ski bits of red. If that’s a barrier, it seriously reduces your options! It’s rare but not unknown for runs linking areas to be either actually black, or ‘should be black but is a red/blue due to location’. It’s also not unknown for resorts to designate a resort run as blue, despite it being significantly more difficult than any blue should be (Santons into Val d’Isere is probably the most famous example).

Saalbach (Kohlmais/Bernkogel side, not Schattberg side) does fit your criteria, easy blues in from both sides, but it’s quite a big ski area, being linked to multiple other resorts. Search Tatmanstours on here, he has provided lots of info. Technically, you can go round the Glemm valley anti-clockwise all on blues, but some are distinctly purple, (even going for the trick of blue poles on 1 side of the piste, red on the other). The lift infrastructure is very good here.

SkiWelt is a pretty easy area. There’s a TR for a lodge in Ellmau (or Going? Definitely somewhere up that end of the area) I read recently on here. Many of the other villages have either tricky resort return runs (Brixen) or are a little away from the pistes (Soll). Again, although you could ski mostly blues, you would need reds to travel around the area. Again it’s fairly big as ski areas go.

The other area I’d suggest investigating in Austria is Zauchensee, a high bowl with lots of blues. It’s linked (after a red run or a gondola, by a short bus ride under a motorway, unless they’ve changed the lifts) to Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl which are a mix of blues and reds (and a massive park). It’s a few minutes to other areas (Altenmarkt/Radstadt), Flachau/Wagrain, Schladming and others) but they are all a bit more red. All these areas are about an hour drive south of Salzburg and form the Ski Amade. I see it’s actually recommended on the thread above too.

Pam w has already suggested Les Saises (she is an expert in this area) and it has one of the largest skiable green/blue only areas, anywhere in Europe. It’s part of the Espace Diamant ski area. I have not been here yet.

Then you get Corvara, which is on the other contender for largest ‘blue runs only’ area in Europe, Alta Badia. For me, the scenery and food in this area are fantastic, significantly superior to anywhere else I’ve been, so I’ve been twice (TRs on here, San Cassiano and La Villa).

I’d recommend San Cassiano rather than Corvara if you want blues because, being off the Sella Ronda, it’s a bit quieter and (maybe slightly) cheaper. It’s high street is one of the prettiest in Italy and it has 2 Michelin starred restaurants so it’s far from slumming it. But mainly because the multiple blues back to the resort really are lovely blues, all about 2-3km long. Nothing difficult at all about any of them, whereas 8 into Corvara, below the bottom of Pralongia 2, is a bit tricky for a blue, and the top of 4 1/2 (yes, really) is also a bit steep for a blue (and narrow and with a big fence on 1 side).

The area between Piz Sorega, La Villa, Bioch, Pralongia, Arlara and Cherz is blue run heaven. When you feel confident you can try 7 then 8, ski into Corvara, take Borest and ski the other blues up the Edelweiss valley, then up to Dantercepies and get a wide red/blue back. Then a bit more red on the trip to La Crusc. There are actually some great reds and a couple of blacks but they aren’t necessary to get around the area.

All the pistes have many huts, reaching excessive level at the top of Roby/La Fraina/Braia Fraida lifts where you have 2 restaurants on the left, 1 on the right, a coffee stop half way down the piste (14) and another restaurant at the bottom!

The downsides are: it’s Italy, and a bit more Italian than the connected German speaking valley (Val Gardena) although they were distinctly burnishing the unique Ladin culture of the area last year, and German is far more prevalent than English.

Also the Sorega gondola is fairly busy in the afternoon as it is required to get back to all the villages on the SR from the Hidden Valley run (these people will be coming from the right of the main run and only do the very bottom section).

If you are quite happy to just ski easy pistes, you may never want to go elsewhere.

It is connected to the Sella Ronda, which is probably the second largest lift-linked ski area in the world, so hardly small.

There’s not many rocking bars.

The interconnected ski area is super-huge (as in not just huge), the lifts are very fast and modern so the lift pass is not the cheapest.

For something completely different, if you want lots of evening restaurants in a great town, Madonna di Campiglio is probably unbeatable. Staying near Pradolago gondola ensures an easy blue home but, like many ski areas, you’ll need to tackle (mostly fairly easy) reds to get around.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started a similar thread in December and got lots of recommendations. Think they were mostly France though.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162471&highlight=
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The downsides are: it’s Italy, and a bit more Italian than the connected German speaking valley

Don't see why that's a problem - Italy is a great place to ski! I had an apartment in Les Saisies for 15 years so naturally I love that area, but I'd be very happy to ski in San Cassiano for the rest of my days. Though as I'm 76 that's not a particularly grandiose statement....)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waitrose wrote:
Looking for a resort with plenty of blue runs, blue run back to village, probably Austria, doesn't have to be a large area, village close to pistes, plenty of restaurants, and an excellent hotel close to the slopes - too much to ask?

If you want a high proportion of blues then try Obergurgl. Doesn't mean it has lots of blues as is relatively small. The run back is fine.. most of the way; can get a bit tricky above the Neiderhutte. Has loads of excellent (and expensive) hotels. Mostly 4 star. A bit more skiing, and lots of blues in connected Hochgurgl

If you want a larger easy area, try SkiWelt, and to get close to the pistes best is probably Ellmau (I stayed at the Tirol Lodge right by the main Hartkaiser Gondola. I'd say it's a good hotel - somewhat different.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what...snow wrote:

Many Austrian resorts are more red than blue, but there are a few which are predominantly easier. Austria also tends to have towns/villages in a valley, slightly away from the ski area. There are also lots of resorts where to get between the blue bits, you need to ski bits of red. If that’s a barrier, it seriously reduces your options! It’s rare but not unknown for runs linking areas to be either actually black, or ‘should be black but is a red/blue due to location’. It’s also not unknown for resorts to designate a resort run as blue, despite it being significantly more difficult than any blue should be (Santons into Val d’Isere is probably the most famous example).

Saalbach (Kohlmais/Bernkogel side, not Schattberg side) does fit your criteria, easy blues in from both sides, but it’s quite a big ski area, being linked to multiple other resorts. Search Tatmanstours on here, he has provided lots of info. Technically, you can go round the Glemm valley anti-clockwise all on blues, but some are distinctly purple, (even going for the trick of blue poles on 1 side of the piste, red on the other). The lift infrastructure is very good here.

SkiWelt is a pretty easy area. There’s a TR for a lodge in Ellmau (or Going? Definitely somewhere up that end of the area) I read recently on here. Many of the other villages have either tricky resort return runs (Brixen) or are a little away from the pistes (Soll). Again, although you could ski mostly blues, you would need reds to travel around the area. Again it’s fairly big as ski areas go.

Then you get Corvara, which is on the other contender for largest ‘blue runs only’ area in Europe, Alta Badia. For me, the scenery and food in this area are fantastic, significantly superior to anywhere else I’ve been, so I’ve been twice (TRs on here, San Cassiano and La Villa).

I’d recommend San Cassiano rather than Corvara if you want blues because, being off the Sella Ronda, it’s a bit quieter and (maybe slightly) cheaper. It’s high street is one of the prettiest in Italy and it has 2 Michelin starred restaurants so it’s far from slumming it. But mainly because the multiple blues back to the resort really are lovely blues, all about 2-3km long. Nothing difficult at all about any of them, whereas 8 into Corvara, below the bottom of Pralongia 2, is a bit tricky for a blue, and the top of 4 1/2 (yes, really) is also a bit steep for a blue (and narrow and with a big fence on 1 side).

The area between Piz Sorega, La Villa, Bioch, Pralongia, Arlara and Cherz is blue run heaven. When you feel confident you can try 7 then 8, ski into Corvara, take Borest and ski the other blues up the Edelweiss valley, then up to Dantercepies and get a wide red/blue back. Then a bit more red on the trip to La Crusc. There are actually some great reds and a couple of blacks but they aren’t necessary to get around the area.

Saalbach in my opinion is not quite as easy as SkiWelt - most of the blues are dark blue, and aren't that distinguishable from reds in many cases. Huge area with the best lift system anywhere though. SkiWelt is generally a bit easier, lifts not quite as good. Ellmau as you say is best for being close, though hotel selection required (I indeed stayed at Tirol Lodge and did a review).

I'm off to Sella Ronda for the first time in 10 days, and have just looked at the Corvara map - indeed loads of blue. Am staying in Selva, so may go there on my first day. I assume the two way gondola back towards Selva is the one you say gets busy late on. I'm guessing looking at the map that many of the slopes have a good (non south facing) aspect?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buchanan101 wrote:
what...snow wrote:

Saalbach in my opinion is not quite as easy as SkiWelt - most of the blues are dark blue, and aren't that distinguishable from reds in many cases. Huge area with the best lift system anywhere though. SkiWelt is generally a bit easier, lifts not quite as good. Ellmau as you say is best for being close, though hotel selection required (I indeed stayed at Tirol Lodge and did a review).

I'm off to Sella Ronda for the first time in 10 days, and have just looked at the Corvara map - indeed loads of blue. Am staying in Selva, so may go there on my first day. I assume the two way gondola back towards Selva is the one you say gets busy late on. I'm guessing looking at the map that many of the slopes have a good (non south facing) aspect?

The gondola that gets busy is the one from San Cassiano up to Piz Surega.

The two stage one up the gardena pass (Plans and Frara) is your way home from Corvara / Colfosco (also a lovely easy area) - but note that you still have two chairs to ride (with tricky reds between them) to get over the ridge to be able to ski down to Selva (also a great red but a steep top section).

We are just back from San Cassiano and loved it. Much smaller than Corvara but prettier and quiet - only one lively bar/pizza joint in the place in case that concerns anyone ...
And better home runs than Corvara as what...snow says.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 22-02-23 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sheffskibod Ah - it's the one up from the village and not on the Ronda because of people returning from Hidden Valley. Maybe I will not go to Hidden Valley - there seems to be loads of skiing elsewhere and I'd rather spend as much time skiing as possible. Need to be careful not starting on any of the 5 blues that run down to San Cassiano

This map shows a really good aspect of the Corvara area - individual maps rather than an overall Sella Ronda maps seem to the way to go...

There are SO many mountain restaurants!

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/-/media/ski-club-library/piste-maps/corvara.ashx?la=en
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's Italy! I enjoyed seeing a group of men standing round an outside table with their drinks, about 10 am as we got off the gondola in Alleghe. They might have done a run, or even possibly two. All laughing and chatting loudly. The idea that you must be on first to last lifts with a snatched sandwich sometime is very British!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's Italy! I enjoyed seeing a group of men standing round an outside table with their drinks, about 10 am as we got off the gondola in Alleghe. They might have done a run, or even possibly two. All laughing and chatting loudly. The idea that you must be on first to last lifts with a snatched sandwich sometime is very British!

I'm not complaining; I like things Italian - I have an Alfa Romeo; but more people in the restaurants means fewer on the slopes.
snow report
@buchanan101, IME nothing was that busy, even at 1/2 term. The lift infrastructure is right up there with Saalbach around Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Alta Badia, and the Sella Ronda/Portavescovo lifts in Arabba, lots of new gondolas and 6 or 8 man fast chairs. There are SOME older lifts over towards Marmolada and the other valley ends, a few detachable 4 mans, a small old 1970s/80s gondola here and there, very occasionally a 2 man chair usually serving a quiet run.

What I meant was, at other ski areas, gondolas from the village/town are quiet in the daytime as they are dead ends with people only using them to access the ski area in the morning and get the valley run to ski home in the afternoon. In Alta Badia they all have through traffic so it’s never completely dead through the day. San Cassiano looks like a dead end from the piste map but the Sorega gondola gets traffic coming back from the hidden valley run all day long so you may get a 5 min queue at any time. It’s an 8 man gondola though, so fast moving and they have had to get a drag lift out of Armentarola so they can’t really pour in. It’s definitely worth going down there from Pralongia, it’s a nice long easy blue run with great scenery.

Unfortunately the area is so big, any map can be a bit confusing. Alas the current app misses some of the runs out, so can’t be relied on for navigation.

From the top of Dantercepies gondola out of Selva, heading to Colfosco is a red first but very wide and not that steep. From 1/2 way down the long gondola, it’s blue and gets flatter as it goes on. Under Sodlisia chair it’s a proper nursery slope. From there, Colfosco gondola on the left will give you a long blue back. The valley is very sunny and south facing so preferably do it on the way out, not back! There’s red, blue and black options, and great views, from the higher lifts up this valley.

Next, take Borest gondola to Corvara, then head straight off the lift to a magic carpet and Costes chair. The pyramid on your left is Boe gondola and takes you to red runs only, and further round the Sella Ronda. From Costes it’s a sharp left and follow signs to Col Alto. At the top of Col Alto, go straight and keep left. This is run 4 1/2 and is about the most difficult blue. Head for the chair on the left, Braia Fraida, and it’s almost all blues in every direction from the top of there. I’d recommend 15 (look for an exit left off the main slope of 14, near the end of the steeper section) then up Bamby and down 18, great views on your right. Then Roby will take you back to where you were. You can take 6 from here but it really is flat at the end so better to take 14 to Biok and then 7 to Pralongia 2. Or take Braia Fraida the other way to find 5 to Arlara, that’s been very quiet IME. 6A to Pralongia 2 incorporates the same flat section as 6 and to avoid it you’ll need to get a few chairs and runs, a short chair then 5B then BF then 14. At the summit of Pralongia 2, either head to San Cassiano on 9A/B or there are blues all the way to Campolungo and even Bec de Roses, starting with 33 or 34. There’s basically at least 1 blue option, whichever lift you reach. To head home on a blue, you need 8 to Corvara, unless you’re at Campolungo where you can take Costoratta chair then red 1. It’s wide and not especially hard.

Almost all the huts are great. The only ones I’ve seen get less good reviews are at the top of Sorega and the top of Cherz. Just pick any other for lunch and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. There’s hundreds! Remember it’s 5 lifts in quick succession with a little skiing between but including some narrow reds, to get back to Dantercepies and the run to Selva from Corvara. Plans-Frara especially goes on for an age as there is a mid station.
ski holidays
what...snow Followed all that on the Corava piste map, thanks. I'm generally very good with navigation (being an engineer I have 3D layouts in my head). Sella Ronda seems more complicated than most (I mean how easy is Saalbach?)

The map has Plans-Frara as two lifts (39 and 40)

Definitely my first day is over to Corvara - not doing SR on a Sunday. Corvara looks a load just by itself. What about the small area above Colfosco? is that south facing?
snow report
The map has Plans-Frara as two lifts (39 and 40)

Trust me, it’s 1 lift with a mid station IRL!

What about the small area above Colfosco? is that south facing?

Yes that’s the Edelweiss valley accessed by Colfosco gondola. The views from Forcelles chair and Col Pradat gondola up the top of it are fantastic. Very much south facing so if you want to go up there, do it on the way out not the way back.
snow report
what...snow wrote:

What I meant was, at other ski areas, gondolas from the village/town are quiet in the daytime as they are dead ends with people only using them to access the ski area in the morning and get the valley run to ski home in the afternoon. In Alta Badia they all have through traffic so it’s never completely dead through the day. San Cassiano looks like a dead end from the piste map but the Sorega gondola gets traffic coming back from the hidden valley run all day long so you may get a 5 min queue at any time. It’s an 8 man gondola though, so fast moving and they have had to get a drag lift out of Armentarola so they can’t really pour in. It’s definitely worth going down there from Pralongia, it’s a nice long easy blue run with great scenery.

I can't remember if it was last year or 2020, think it was the latter but we went down to San Cassiano for lunch and couldn't find anywhere open and the gondola back out had a 20 minute queue as it did another time. The runs down are lovely but the queue can certainly be long in high season.
ski holidays
You should have had lunch at La Utia, on the run down from Sorega or Ciampai. Fantastic food there. San Cassiano starts at the lift base but the main street of the village is about 10 mins walk and the restaurants are spread around. There is one fairly near the gondola but maybe it’s evening only? Even the gondola is set up high with magic carpets to take you from street level. I’ve never seen a queue like that but have heard on here that it can happen. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
snow report
@what...snow,
Might try that next year if we go back to Corvara which we likely will, also should be able to get quieter times as we will all be retired by then including the teacher in our group.

@buchanan101, I think most of the Sella lay out on the map is reasonable apart from the bit around Plan Gralba but the Alta Badia is definitely confusing on the map and even on the piste until you know it a bit.
snow report
Any recommendations for restaurants in Selva? Have booked our hotel (Acadia) for a couple of nights. All other restaurants on google maps show as Italian or Pizzeria. Yes I love both, and will eat both all week, copiously, but shows how much variety there is in U.K…
latest report
@buchanan101,
We have had a couple of good lunches here.
https://www.restaurantfreina.com/en/lunch-dinner.asp
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:

Definitely my first day is over to Corvara - not doing SR on a Sunday. Corvara looks a load just by itself. What about the small area above Colfosco? is that south facing?

Staying in Selva, my first day would be up to Seceda TBH
snow report
T Bar wrote:
@buchanan101,
We have had a couple of good lunches here.
https://www.restaurantfreina.com/en/lunch-dinner.asp

Thanks. Have booked the Monday eve..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy