Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria end of March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker so go easy on me. Laughing

We're looking at going to Austria for the last week in March. Looking at Ischgl vs Lech vs St Anton.

St Anton is *much* cheaper than Ischgl and Lech, but on the other hand we don't mind paying more for a better value skiing holiday, ie better snow. I know that Lech is now attached to St Anton, but it's a bit of a schlep over there, and if we're going to have to do it every day, we'd probably rather be staying over there. My memory of St Anton is that it can be heavy going on the lower slopes even at the best of times.

Ischgl is also a similar price to Lech, so we're also thinking about going there too.

Is the snow at Lech better than St Anton towards the end of the season? And how does Ischgl compare?

Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kramer, Who's we? If it is family you might want to factor in which resort does "Free Kids" after mid-march. The Ski Amade does so maybe Bad Gastein could be considered too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kramer,
Quote:

Long time lurker

'Some' might wonder how you managed, in that case, to accumulate 17,600 posts. wink
Hello stranger, hope all is well. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Kramer, Who's we? If it is family you might want to factor in which resort does "Free Kids" after mid-march. The Ski Amade does so maybe Bad Gastein could be considered too.

3 grumpy middle aged doctors.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

3 grumpy middle aged doctors.
In which case I'd still consider Gastein. It has some great Bars in the sunshine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kramer, not sure why you think St Anton is much cheaper than Lech or Ischgl? Yes there are some silly expensive "luxury" hotels in Lech but St Anton now has (unfortunately) more than its fair share of such top end places. I would choose the Arlberg over Ischgl, Ischgl has a better choice of piste skiing but I loathe the village and the whole set up, too brash, too much "bling" and some frankly seedy apres. The people who run the place (largely a small group of families) are pretty grasping seemingly wanting to extract the last Euros from visitors. From what little you have said Lech might be a better option than St Anton. You dont have to stay in 5 star hotels and there is more choice of pistes. In terms of snow not much different, yes the home run slopes at St Anton are well known for being a slush fest on sunny spring afternoons but that's true of Lech too. It really is no big deal to go between St Anton and Zürs (Lech & Zürs are not that well linked with skis) the Flexenbahn is very efficient. No issue to ski the best of St Anton staying in Lech if that suits you best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, because we can get a much cheaper deal to St Anton.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kramer, hello stranger! What kind of accom/nightlife do you want? We stay at a very nice hotel in Stuben, but it's very quiet in the evenings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kramer, In which case stay in St Anton. You can ski the same area. I am off to St Anton tomorrow for a couple of days and intend to spend Saturday in Zürs & Lech. I can recommend Skiing Budha for a decent curry of the Thai variety which you wont find in Lech Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stay at the Alpenhotel Tyrol in Galtur, 15 minutes on the bus to Ischgl.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy