Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow blades

Poster: A snowHead
Hi thinking of swapping over to snow blades due to knee injuries has anyone any experience of them please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My buddy skied on them for years and never had an issue, but I think most don't come with "releasable" bindings like skis do.. meaning they don't pop off in a crash or when forces applied are too high.
That might be more of a risk?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks for reply the ones I’m looking at have proper release bindings been told these will be easier for me
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chances of crashing imo are higher on “blades” than skis. If main consideration is safety due to knee injuries, I would suggest “easy” skis and lessons.

Would be surprised blades is an answer to knee injuries.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh no why is crashing higher on blades
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like most things on SH's it's been discussed before:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134675

Short answer: not a good idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few years ago, my wife was taken out by an out-of-control older GB man on snowblades, on a wide, empty piste in Zermatt. The only collision she's ever experienced in 50 years of skiing.
I thought there was also a higher risk of nasty 'corkscrew' / spiral fractures, but that may only apply to fixed bindings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a ski patroler, I can safely say snowblades are a quick way of increasing your chance of going to hospital while on a ski holiday, by a factor greater than 10
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Debski15 wrote:
Oh no why is crashing higher on blades

Hmm, lack of control observed bybblade users, my hunch is blades are not for keeping you knees safer. Do let us know how it works out for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Debski15, probably more importantly - what's up with the knees?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acl had reconstruction which failed totally on right knee had reconstruction on left about 10 years ago all ok both times taken out by children. I’m now very nervous of hurting myself again right knee feels stable because I workout to keep muscles strong really want to continue to ski as husband loves it looking for something that might make it safer and easier for me just like cruising around maybe I would have more control over a shorter ski. atm ski on 150cm 5 foot 2 weigh 8 stone any help b4 I give up which really really don’t want to
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Debski15, ride a bike to build stability into your knees and wear a brace while skiing until you have built up that stability.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep do all that wear braces thighs hamstring calf strong nerves shot
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You maybe want to search on here and/or change the thread title as I've read threads on here with people in similar situations and they may be able to advise on how to build up the knee/confidence, etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you new to this haven’t worked out how to search yet lol
snow report
@Debski15, definitely not snow blades! See a good sports physio. And get some private instruction. On proper skis. My wife has a busted acl and is now skiing as well as ever following that advice.
ski holidays
You would be fine on 140/142
ski holidays
Got into skiing again a few years ago, got into inline skating because of it, got some head skiboards/snowblades as they seemed very well made and maybe more durable than alternative short ski's (I have regular length ski's as well) (lugging around nearly two metres plus all the other gear through the London Underground/Airports/Buses/Coaches/Trains to resort started to take it's toll, and got me researching short ski's/skiboards/snowblades).
I try to use them to ski them the same as I would on regular length ski's, and they provide a very satisfying experience.
I would go on all the same pistes that I would on regular length ski's, maybe would prefer regulars (length skis) on ungroomed blacks, as there would be more stability on something icy. Ice would be one reason that I use poles with them, being short there is not much to lean back on (except for the poles) but ideally would be leaning forward, knees bent etc.
On regulars going down firm terrain the front and the back of the ski often is not always touching the ground, my guess, maybe the middle metre usually is, maybe that is where the idea for snowblades/skiboards/short ski's came from.
I had not ski'd for three years until this year, been twice and used skiboards both times, few problems, except for a slight coming together with a girl in white salopette's (with her boyfriend?) when turning into each other on a narrow piste (damn) (damn again), and not being able to find one in deep snow (damn) Grand Montets (January). Ski'd all pistes Les Deux Alpes last week, no problems, hardly fell.
Did notice maybe extra wear due to they are shorter than normal ski's, that might be your main concern, if so, get heavy duty ski's (I'm a fan of).
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
As a ski patroler, I can safely say snowblades are a quick way of increasing your chance of going to hospital while on a ski holiday, by a factor greater than 10

isn't that because only idiots use snowblades?

There is a guy who skied the Grand Pic de Belledonne on blades, that is a 55degree extreme descent... so in the right hands.
ski holidays
I agree the higher incidence of injuries is because mostly idiots use blades. I have used blades - in a lesson ( to stop us leaning back and used to fast edge changes) and more generally. I found them quite tiring on knees because you are always "balancing". I would NEVER have used blades with poles - like having poles with a snowboard. In fact, if you want to protect knees, get both feet firmly clamped to a snowboard! If not, I'd go for short skis rather than blades - much more relaxing than blades.
ski holidays
I’ve had acl issues. I think I ski with 142 or maybe 149 skis.

I also wear a brace skiing

However sounds like it’s not the snow blades that are the issue. It’s the xxxxheads who use them. So if you feel that they would be good for you. Go ahead but with release bindings
ski holidays
Good observations Pam…we were introduced to blades as a teaching aid and they work for some things - but they are very hard on knees, particularly on icy choppy surfaces - VERY hard on knees.

The best thing for my knees was a lesson from ‘Big Sasha’ at SMS - and that taught me to really really pressure the front of my boots at all times. That’s the thing which relieved a major issue with one knee. I had been steering one ski with knee and thigh muscles - increase forward pressure on the boot and the load in the knee reduces significantly…so…coaching not blades. Going too short with skis can be an issue - no front platform to pressure, so more backseat skiing and more pressure on the knees.
latest report
Id try some shorter and lighter skis first with those attributes before blades, a sandwich 150 might be too heavy for you if that is what you are using.
latest report
I once rescued an Italian lad who had charged much too fast down a red run with some sudden changes of slope, on blades, with mates. We'd been watching them warily around the place. This one totally lost it and ended kind of hanging upside down in a bush beside the piste, with his non-release blades still clamped to his feet. It turned out he was uninjured, happily, but he was helpless. His mates, further down the slope, were helpless with laughter, as an old English woman helped him down from the tree - I knew how the bindings worked. Laughing
snow report
@Debski15, …I should add re your point about injury, basically I have a completely trashed left knee. I am now 30 years on from that, 125lbs and 5ft 7in, and through good coaching my knee now no longer swells like a football whilst skiing - I’m currently on 158 volkl youth Mantras. It’s all about forward pressure for me - do that and the knee is much relieved. The latest generation of light but torsionally stiff skis - like elan ripsticks and youth mantras are really helpful to lighter skiers or those with injuries.
snow report
I tried blades for a week on green/blue slopes in order to teach my 6YO. I found them really hard on my knees. if you think about it a long ski smooths out bumps; with blades you get every little undulation transmitted up. Great for nutter 15 year olds to do tricks, but I won’t hire them again.
latest report
I tried them for a day - did ok with them in that I got around, but did not enjoy them - I found them really hard on my knees and on my back/shoulders as I used my body far more in turns.

Shorter skis may be better
latest report
Thanks everyone for the advise I had decided against them thought they would help me to have more control. I’m thinking maybe a youths ski would be easier for me anyone have any suggestions please
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Debski15, yep…youth Volkl Mantra in 158 or 148 (but don’t go too short) with Salomon Warden bindings. Or the excellent Line youth skis such as the Wallisch Shorty 149…..Armada youth skis are excellent as are the Black Crows. My niece is slightly built and about 5-6 - and used the 149 Shorty’s to very good effect…..
snow conditions
Lol that’s longer than mine I’ve been using 146cm only short 5 2 112 lbs
snow report
are they still sold?
ski holidays
@under a new name, yes. All shops keep a small stock to quickly put on display whenever punters walk in wearing a jesters hat and/or any sort of fancy dress.
latest report
Unusual consensus on this thread!
snow report
@Debski15, ah…well….youth mantras and Wallisch come in a variety of lengths - I’d really recommend the Mantras
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy