Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scafell Pike - places to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
There's a small group of us doing Munro's a couple of years ago and done Ben Nevis last year, making a weekend of it with our better halves. We are doing Scafell Pike in June. Where would be the best town to stay with easy access to the hill? One of the guys looking at a hotel in Grasmere but is 90 mins away.
Any help would be appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wasdale head Inn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
prometheus wrote:
Wasdale head Inn.

I think the approach from Borrowdale is a better circular route, starting at Seathwaite Farm, so would recommend staying in the town of Keswick, 20 minutes drive away.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boabski, Many moons ago when I was good deal younger & fitter I did Scafell Pike from Langdale, outwards over Bowfell and return via Angel Tarn and the dreaded Rossett Gill. It was mid summer and a long but splendid day out. I was knackered afterwards. If you fancy this route then Grasmere or Ambleside is as good a place to stay as any, though if you can get rooms at the Britannia Inn in Elterwater it is a perfect location (they used to do a really good quiz night). The last stretch to the summit is a rather strenuous, a big boulder field.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed here recently

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nZEWwgGKCYaf9sUNA?g_st=i

Lovely remote pub. There is a way up Scafell Pike start from the pub but it wasn’t the day for it (very rainy day in November) so we did a variation of the standard route from Wasdale. Took about 45mins to drive around

The Wasdale Head Inn is in a great spot but I haven’t visited. It’s about as remote as it gets in the Lakes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Will check out. Stayed in Keswick before and really liked it
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your going up from the east side (Borrowdale) then probably pick somewhere in Keswick, plenty of hotels/pubs etc.

From the west side, Wasdale Head Inn or Wasdale Hall YHA
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rosthwaite, at the Scafell end of Borrowdale.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends which route you want to take up Scafell Pike.
From Wasdale up from the NT campsite, then down via the corridor route and via Sty Head is nice. Wasdale Head Hotel, two campsites, and more hotels, guesthouses and a YHA a few miles down the valley.
From Seathwaite up to Sty Head, up over Great End etc, down corridor route and back via Sty Head, a bit longer than the Wasdale route but quite nice. Campsites, YHA, hotels and guesthouses in Borrowdale, and plenty more accommodation down in Keswick.
From Langdale, choice of some really good longer high level routes taking in Bowfell, Esk Pike etc. Considerably longer, but good for a challenging high level mountain day. Campsites, ODG Hotel, New DG, B&Bs etc down at Chapel Stile and Elterwater.
From Eskdale, nice, very little frequented route up Upper Eskdale, taking in Scafell as well as the Pike, quite long, requires navigation, but probably my favourite. Campsites, Hotels/Pubs and guesthouses in Eskdale.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
One of the guys looking at a hotel in Grasmere but is 90 mins away.
I'm puzzled. I can't see how anywhere in the Lake District can be 90 mins away from a Scafell Pike ascent... Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
One of the guys looking at a hotel in Grasmere but is 90 mins away.
I'm puzzled. I can't see how anywhere in the Lake District can be 90 mins away from a Scafell Pike ascent... Puzzled

Depends on from where you intend to start the walk from.

I think RobinS has set it out quite nicely.

Scafell Pike is approachable from lots of different places. You need to sort out your route first (being aware of the infamous “bad step” - it’s on the “corridor route” and isn’t as bad as it is made out, but if you don’t know the route then it is not something you want to tackle in the dark) and when you know your route and your starting point, your accommodation will be clearer
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Depends on from where you intend to start the walk from.
I understand that, but given that places like Keswick were mentioned, I'd assumed there'd be a drive to the start of the walk. I'd thought the 90 min reference related to a driving time. If not, it seems a bit odd to do three hours extra walking (there and back) on top of climbing Scafell Pike.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, The shortest and easiest walk up Scafell Pike is from Wasdale Head . To get there from Grasmere would be at least 90 minutes, probably more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned above by @RobinS, it largely depends on where you want to start. My favourite way up is up Eskdale, mainly because it’s so quiet. If choosing that route, the Woolpack Inn has beds and is a nice pub for food. Also, the camping pods at the nearby Eskdale National Trust campsite are basic but pleasant. Also, unlike most of the popular routes from the North (Seathwaite), West (Wasdale) and East (Langdale) are out and backs (NB. The popular routes - not all routes). Whereas Eskdale provides the way up followed by Scarfell and Slight Side providing the route down (or vice versa). Obviously, these are only my opinions, so do your research and make a choice that suits you and your group the best.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The youth hostel at Wasdale is absolutely lovely. The OH have stayed there twice. Yes, it's not glamorous rooms. But you can book private ones. The location is lovely. The lounge area is relaxing and spacious. Decent kitchen set up if you need it.
ski holidays
I live in the Lake District - my favoured route up Scafell Pike is 100% from Seathwaite. Lots of good accomodation in Borrowdale - relatively expensive. B&Bs nearer in eg Seatoller & Stonethwaite. Camp sites nearby. Borrowdale YHA is very nice but often booked up well in advance. And lots in Keswick.
Also note that you can get bus up and down Borrowdale valley from Keswick to Seatoller
Hope that helps
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy