Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any qualified instructors looking for a week or two's work in Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen that Interski are still on the hunt for instructors for Feb and first week of March in the Aosta Valley. They're offering increased pay and travel costs vs. normal to try and attract the staff they need (Brexit etc). If anyone is qualified L2 or above, has the right to work in Europe, and fancies a week or two of teaching work + accom etc, here's the link: https://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/

(This is partly self-interested as I'm going to be working those weeks myself, and would prefer as small a group size as poss!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting they can't find anyone for this. I guess it is the right to work in Europe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, that’s the principal issue…
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BlueSky, Not that I'm thinking of doing this, but can you give any idea what their "increased" pay actually amounts to? Their blurb only says it's "competitive".

I'm just curious as to what the going rate is for this sort of thing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, here you go:
Wages - £590.00 / €650.00 per week working on a self-employed basis
Travel Expenses – up to £181.00 / €200.00 (receipts required)
Accommodation (hotel, twin/triple share)
Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
Lift pass (5 day)
Uniform (shell jacket and shell trousers)
Insurance
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did it for 3 happy years. It’s hard work but great fun and you are well supported on the hill. I have a uk passport so Brexit brought an end to my fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CathyAuLait wrote:
I have a uk passport so Brexit brought an end to my fun.

I am not really sure how this is working now Puzzled

I know people in Italy with the same qualifications and passports and some can work whilst others cannot Puzzled

In France there are lots of TO staff who are brits and have british passports who are able to work whilst other companies cannot employ people with british passports.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Post Brexit you need a work visa €150 which the employer needs to apply for (having already proved that no eu citizen wants the job, by advertising it for 6wks) no guarantee that they get it and can it take months - so temporary staff are not worth employing. Oh and you also need a work permit which the employee applies for - more €. Frustrating, especially when colleagues with Irish grandparents now have eu passports and are off to work anywhere in Europe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BlueSky, According to the website, remuneration is nowhere near the figures you quote:

https://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/Recruitment/package.php

£150 for 30 hours work plus morning and evening meetings = less than 5 quid an hour (and it says money is deducted from the £150 if you don't teach 24 hours);
£8.33 per hour for other teaching hours - but only paid when actually teaching, so not including meetings and presentations.

For those able to get a EU passport (e.g. through an Irish granny) or who can get a Visa (e.g. as returning, regular seasonaires) pay rates for instructors in some other EU countries are far higher (€25-€35 per hour) plus accommodation, uniform, full lift pass and in some cases meals.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The figures are from an email I was sent by Interski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BlueSky, I got in touch with them, as I'd heard rumours they were able to get non-EU passport holders work, but alas, no luck. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swskier wrote:
@BlueSky, I got in touch with them, as I'd heard rumours they were able to get non-EU passport holders work, but alas, no luck. Sad

BASI are claiming that you can work 90 days in Italy but this seems to not be the case as you found out. Certainly Aoste won't allow it this year having exceptionally taken the decision to permit it last year to enable ski schools to get organized. Also whether and how long L2s can work depends on the region although Aoste has always been quite generous. Some L2s/L3s have been told they can no longer work as I think Steward Woodward was saying above.

Regarding the pay, I think they upped it when they found that no one was available. If you are an L2 or L3 needing teaching hours I think it is a good deal personally. I would do it but am not alpine qualified.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, exactly the reason why I was looking to do it. Also been told about Gower Ski, but they haven't come back to me at all.

At €850 for a week, it's not too bad, as you'd definitely use up the full travel expenses, and a couple of weeks would tick off the minimum requried mountain environment hours for a L3 Teach with IASI.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did it for my BASI 2 hours many years ago, and had a wonderful time. The great unwashed (and those who manipulate them) have now buggered it up for everyone Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If you are an L2 or L3 needing teaching hours I think it is a good deal personally

Exactly! And indeed why I am doing it...
snow report
BlueSky wrote:
Quote:

If you are an L2 or L3 needing teaching hours I think it is a good deal personally

I think the pay etc for an L2 is good, for an L3 ISIA maybe not so much but there is quite a step up between the two.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
BlueSky wrote:
Quote:

I think the pay etc for an L2 is good, for an L3 ISIA maybe not so much but there is quite a step up between the two.

Agreed I think it's decent pay for a L2. It would certainly go some way to paying for the £3k I spent on getting my L2 qualification!
ski holidays
This was my plan until the Brexit gift that keeps giving came along.....

@BlueSky, lucky you having an EU passport, enjoy it!
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:

In France there are lots of TO staff who are brits and have british passports who are able to work whilst other companies cannot employ people with british passports.

Is that Brits working for UK TOs on UK contracts?
ski holidays
Update on Interski and British passports is very promising!

https://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/Docs/latest_news_55_uk_passport_holders.pdf
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy