Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian ski resort recommendations for Australians

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I got some awesome advice here last year about skiing in France. We were going to go to Japan next January but it looks really expensive compared to what we can get in Europe (ignoring the whole 24 hours of travel and jet lag issues). Austria looks beautiful. We have 2 adults, 2 teenagers and like groomers and trees. Preferably a ski in ski out apartment. Last time we used peak retreats travel agency on a recommendation here and they were very good. Any suggestions for a similar agency for Austria? Or general advice? We will probably combine the trip with some other tourism. Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are looking for tree skiing, you will be a bit limited in Austria. Especially compared to Japan. But I would say ski Amade and vicinity would be your best bets for Austria. Places like Zauchensee, Schladming and Gastein have some decent trees.

Another thing that is limited in Austria is ski in ski out accommodation. Generally, it is a short walk or bus ride from your accommodation in town to the lifts. Ski in ski out does certainly exist, but is in limited supply, and usually quite expensive.

I can't help you with agency suggestions, as I prefer to do my own planning.

If you are open to France again, Serre Chevalier came immediately to mind when I heard mix of groomers and tree skiing with ski in ski out accommodation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
I'm a fellow Aussie. We did our first trip to Europe in 2018 and received plenty of advice from this forum. Alastair Pink was particularly helpful. We took his advice and skied in the Zillertal Valley in Austria. It was awesome.
We flew into Munich and checked out the sites. We took the train to Dachau concentration camp one day. I highly recommend that. The train to Jenbach is an easy hour and a half. You then swap trains at Jenbach to go up the valley toward your village of choice. We stayed in Kaltenbach but other options are Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller and Tux. I think I'd opt for Mayrhofen next time. For those with a ski pass there is a free ski bus and train throughout the valley. Each ski resort is large enough for a few days. The elevation in the Zillertal is a bit higher than Saalbach and Ski Amade and Kitzbuhel etc but there are still tree lined ski runs. For absolute surety of snow the Hintertux glacier is at the head of the valley.
Other tack on tourist things locally are the cities of Innsbruck which is a short distance by train and the city of Salzburg. I've not been to Salzburg yet but plan on doing so one day. It has the whole Sound of Music and Mozart thing going.
If adding a second week of skiing you would be hard pressed to beat the Italian Dolomites which is and easy trip by train from Austria. I've seen plenty of mountains the world over but none are as visually spectacular as the Dolomites. The area has a rich history too with much World War One historical things to see.
Once you leave the Dolomites you could go a little further south to check out the iconic city and canals of Venice before flying out for home.

What time of year are you thinking of? If over the Aussie school holidays you could time it to see the Munich Christmas markets as we did.

You're going to have a ball.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for the advice! I was hoping to fit in Poland to visit Auschwitz (family were lost in Poland) but Dachau could be a good alternative and I’d love to see Berlin and Munich. I was looking at saalbach - it looks beautiful. We were in Venice this year and flew to Lyon to go to Val disere. Definitely would return so that’s a good thought. Probably looking at heading over just over Christmas and back mid to late January. Might have to fit in the Dolomites as well but time does get away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matilda6, just to add to @sbooker's post here's some useful links:
Zillertal info: https://www.zillertal.at/en/winter.html
German railways: https://int.bahn.de/en (note you can buy a ticket with Deutsche Bahn for all the journey from Munich to the Zillertal (as far up the valley as Mayrhofen at the end of the Zillertalbahn railway)
Austrian railways: https://www.oebb.at/en/
Dolomites: https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/home

Hope this helps. snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 25-05-24 16:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Matilda6, I affectionately refer to Alastair’s advice as Pink’s Euro Tours. His advice has been consistently impeccable. I will one day soon make a point of meeting him in person especially now I know of his telemarking in tweed plus fours.
@Alastair Pink, Some nice people at the EOSBash told me of your quirky nature.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Matilda6, I havent been to Auschwitz but have been to Dachau. It is very interesting but it has little to do with the Shoah, most of the inmates were there for "political" reasons not because they were Jewish, Roma etc. It was primarily a prison though clearly lots of people were killed there. I came away with the feeling that it is a monument to the SPD (left of centre political party similar to Labor in Australia) and other opponents of the Nazis. Best visited on a grey day in autumn. Depending on the approach route into the airport it can be clearly seen about 5 minutes before landing.

On happier things Saalbach would be a good choice as would be the Zillertal. Zillertal slightly easier to reach by train from Munich. Saalbach has the advantage that a day trip to Salzburg is pretty easy (I would avoid the Christmas market - way too many people). Skiing broadly similar. Other options might be Kitzbühel, Ski Amade (not so convenient from Munich), Arlberg.

Ski in / out accommodation is not so common in Austria as most places are villages at the bottom of the mountain. The best place to look for accommodation is the local tourist office eg https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/MasterReq?AR=1&FL=100&LG=1&RA=2&AM=1&MB=0 who will deal with bookings for most local accommodation (AirBnB, Booking.com etc less used but there is some). Lots of apartments (generally more spacious than in France) but you might find the half board offered in most hotels a better option. For some areas it is worth asking on the relevant thread here as some members know of / offer local apartments.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matilda6, as mentioned, Zillertal is nice, agree with @sbooker, that Mayrhofen is a better place to stay than anywhere else in the valley, however I would say that the best skiing in the valley isn't in Mayrhofen.

If you wanted to go the Berlin, there's actually a direct train from Jenbach (at the end of the Zillertal) all the way there. I used part of it to head to Munich airport a few weeks back.

So you could do a few days in Munich on arrival, that will help with jet lag, then head to Zillertal for some skiing, then jump on a train all the way to Berlin afterwards.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy