Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stöckli Nela 80 size question…

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice from all you smart folks… I’m 166cm, 53kg, intermediate to advanced skier (comfortable on blacks, fast and aggressive on reds, working on powder and bigger/steeper bumps). I tried Nela 80s yesterday in 157 and 165 and omigod the Stöckli hype is real. The smoothest, grippiest, most playful yet reliable ski I have ever tried. Beautiful. But… the sizing is doing my head in.

Stöckli customer service insist you should size down 10cm from your height at all levels other than expert, (which should be your height). But when I tried the 157 it felt like I was going to go over the handlebars as soon as I picked up speed, and these things like to go fast. E.g. they were a joy in short turns and made moguls feel easy, but if I hit a bit of unexpected crud or bumpiness at speed, I just didn’t feel like the stability was there.

So I tried the 165s, which felt much more stable, still light and responsive but ploughed through everything with not a judder. But I’m worried they’re going to feel mega long in a short turn and/or big bumps situation. I’ve got 45 and 60 degree inverted knees so ski with Ski Mojos to help with the pressure and stability, but it does make short turns more challenging than for someone with no inward rotation. I don’t have many more chances this season to try each of them.

Super grateful for people’s thoughts on whether these Nela 80s ski long/short, views on any and all of the above.

Cheers! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go with the ones you liked most. I ski Stöckli Stormrider 88's in the 'wrong' size, and absolutely love them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha! Simples... Love it. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:
Go with the ones you liked most.

This ^^^

You are probably between the sizes so neither is wrong but one will favour certain conditions over others. Unless you like moguls (I avoid them) it sounds like the 165 is the right compromise
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go with your instincts too, the 165.

It's not really long for your stats, that feeling of front diving on the shorter ski will never go away. You'll work around it, but it'll always be there in conditions when you feel benefit from the slightly longer ski.

Like you found, there's good reason in some ski manufacturers reputation why they feel so good, with very well designed and executed ski construction making them feel so good to ski with. More contrast than some would believe, until they try them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, think you're both right. I hate that overbalanced feeling! Just going to have to get better at short turns and bumps on longer skis!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy