Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday = Slalom Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
God it’s getting boring. I like Dave and really glad he got a 1,2 this year but I don’t need 30 minutes on slalom. In the same episode 5th Feb - there was a 4 second comment on one of our female boarders taking gold in border cross and another 3 seconds on the silvers won by another lass.

Why aren’t we covering those things in more detail? I’d be happy with 10-12 minutes on slalom and then cover the other GB athletes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought the same.

As someone mentioned on the main Ski Sunday thread, it is probably that the BBC bought the rights in advance and reckoned on Wengen and Kitzbuhel for downhill, and as much slalom as they could get.

It would be great to see some more freestyle, since there are a bunch of GB athletes doing well. Maybe the organisers of X Games and other events set the prices too high?

I'd also like to see some skier- and boarder-cross, regardless of whether there is a GB athletes competing. It's the most fun bit of the Winter games to watch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are definetly a couple of British competitors in the ski/boarder cross to watch out for
Charlotte Banks and Huw Nightingale both doing very well more so than the skiers etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just can't see freestyle being anything close to mainstream TV coverage @tomj, interesting athletes or not, certainly of interest to those competing etc, but very niche ultimately.

"Cross" racing though, absolutely. As sporting/action event it's brilliant for coverage often highly dramatic, needs no special understanding of what moves have been executed by commentary team, great to watch. That's regardless of athlete country in my view too.
Also great to run courses like this, our kids love this on mountain with a couple of really good course in Val Cenis, we all set off in handicap order to try and time the ending.

I do like slalom though, problem I see is there should be more ski Sunday to bring more of anything to screen. We're completely hosed down with football, horse racing etc, skiing has virtually nil screen time in a year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
because it's called Ski Sunday & not Wintersports Sunday?
See the British Bobsleigh team won a place on the podium last week. Would like to see more events covered.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This is mentioned on another thread, but they don't have rights anymore for footage of most of the freestyle events. Blame FIS.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iainm wrote:
This is mentioned on another thread, but they don't have rights anymore for footage of most of the freestyle events. Blame FIS.

Well more accurately blame the BBC/production for not buying the rights - it's not like they wouldn't have been able to, just that they chose not to spend the money there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, they won't sell you one or two segments worth of footage - you have to buy bundles of whole series - more than all of SS screentime put together. Beeb wouldn't ever be able to fund that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That’s a shame - I look forward to the program every week but I do want more from it. Shame that the bbc thinks yet another day cup replay for a town is more important.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to watch ski sunday when it concentrated on the racing, then it became a magazine type programme with segments on slopeside stuff etc and I became bored with it. Eurosport now does the racing very well and I watch that instead.

The one other skiing event I enjoy watching is the aerials where I can distinguish the somersaults and twists very clearly. For some reason no one shows much of it even on Youtube
http://youtube.com/v/fPArSV8kPOk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Ski aerial isn't already dead, it's dying. It's been eaten by Big Air - look at the ages of the competitors - just in that clip you had people competing in their 5th olympics. I'd be amazed if Aerial is still an event past the next one or two Olympic cycles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But it is much nicer to watch than big air where I cannot even distinguish a twist from a somersault. However I see your point it needs a lot more training than just coming off a ramp into an air bag hence the older competitors.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, err, thats how they train too - although they used to train by jumping into pools.
Big air and ariel are essentially the same thing, except that the aerial jumps are smaller, the FIS approved trick list (yep there is one for both disciplines, and ones 3 times bigger than the other) is tiny and much simpler, and people actually watch big air.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They all train on trampolines and/or airbags etc first, then water ramps, then on snow. Lots of training in all these events before you do the complex tricks with multiple twists and somersaults. When I was judging I saw some bad crashes but luckily they all survived although I have seen several helmets written off. I record Ski Sunday and fast forward through most of the alpine racing as freestyle just gets the odd mention. So far this season the moguls team have had one podium and 11 top ten results but very little mention.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski3 wrote:
I just can't see freestyle being anything close to mainstream TV coverage @tomj, interesting athletes or not, certainly of interest to those competing etc, but very niche ultimately.

"Cross" racing though, absolutely. As sporting/action event it's brilliant for coverage often highly dramatic, needs no special understanding of what moves have been executed by commentary team, great to watch. That's regardless of athlete country in my view too.
Also great to run courses like this, our kids love this on mountain with a couple of really good course in Val Cenis, we all set off in handicap order to try and time the ending.

I do like slalom though, problem I see is there should be more ski Sunday to bring more of anything to screen. We're completely hosed down with football, horse racing etc, skiing has virtually nil screen time in a year.

They could show a lot more racing if they got rid of the endless montages! One week I timed almost ten mins of intro before the racing started.
latest report
I've got increasingly fed up with the fast-switching clips too - it's like they feel they can't keep viewers' attention without trying to turn it into a pop video. I'd rather they did without them and just got on with the feature, even if it made the programme shorter.
latest report
I don't mind the montages, or the so-called 'woke' segments, or any of the racing. I just like to see the anything to do with the mountains in winter on mainstream TV. So I usually watch the whole programme.
latest report
Quote:

I just like to see the anything to do with the mountains in winter on mainstream TV. So I usually watch the whole programme.

This. I love anything that takes me into crisp mountain air and freshly-fallen snow, even if mediated by TV. For that reason, I'd be happy to watch almost anything to do with winter sports.

The slalom coverage is getting quite repetitive and boring, though. The montages and athlete vignette pieces were just filler because the BBC had only bought so much coverage. To the point made earlier, the BBC are on a budget and will have bought a package that covers the closest we have to a household name winner in snowsports.

Although I suspect most man-on-the-street interviewees would probably say that snowsports are of no interest and can't see why the BBC should be spending anything on them, Dave Ryding or not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy