Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Superdevoluy Easter advice urgently pls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay, I’ve got Mr. O on the hook and ready to book skiing at Easter. Superdevoluy is coming I’m crazy cheap, and fits our spec of within 10 hours from Calais.

Never been though. What’s the skiing like? As per my previous threads, Mr. O is a nervous skier following a confidence killing first two days at Christmas in Rauris (ice, so much ice). Looking at the piste map isn’t helping me. Are there some nice, cruisey, no pressure runs there? I know there’s greens and blues but having only skied in Austria, I’ve no experience of how the green and blue ratings are worked out (I understand green is simpler, but don’t know the threshold).

Help please!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been but friend visiting there (their friends have a place near) and with poor snow even in March. Tenuous I know but I do trust his judgement as mostly skied with him giving valid comparison. Perhaps someone can dispel my cursory view.
I've also got it at 12 hrs drive from calais inclusive of stops/fuelling etc.

Maybe in that scope https://en.france-montagnes.com/resort/orcieres-merlette seems to have a little more to offer, but I've no direct contribution either way, altitude is certainly higher at station and peak, both are fairly southerly for cold weather too, average 200mtrs higher than sdv.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's mostly/predominantly drag lift in sdv too as Orcieres much more of a mix. Friends apartment was mainly bought for summer usage as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is that the same as, or near, Pra Loup? I skiied there when I was quite a new and unconfident skier, there were plenty of OK runs but being so far south, in March it was already spring skiing by which I mean slushy afternoons and icy mornings. I would worry about Easter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would recommend Montgenevre at that time of year. It is regularly open till the end of April. It has plenty of cruisy runs and over half of it is north facing.

I haven’t been to Superdevoluy so can’t comment on the runs there but I would guess that if Easter is as mild as it was last year it might not be the best option given it’s southern Alps position
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all. Great advice. We would be going on the 1st to the 8th of April, so early Easter. But all comments taken on board. It’s a lot of money to spend on potentially poor conditions. Had quite enough of ice at Christmas. Will leave this particular bargain then. But will keep an eye on conditions and prices as we get closer, for other areas too.

Will have a look at recommendations listed, thank you for those.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Risoul also at similar location south and has a little more experience of using on here. Also seems more to offer in overall terms. Maybe someone will contribute view of there.

It doesn't look like a good year for snow to fully trust later season if you go further south though. The montecarlo rally often gives some indication as it comes up toward those areas, but fairly sparse snow on the coverage I've seen this year mid January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Superdevoluy is always among the cheapest package destinations in the French Alps - combination of affordable accommodation and inexpensive lift pass. But I too would avoid booking in advance for an April visit there. Too much risk of poor snow. Height and orientation are OK but the problem is the position on the fringe of the Alps, so susceptible to milder weather compared to places like Serre Chevalier / Risoul.

If conditions are good nearer the time, there will likely still be accommodation available.

Re. run gradings, a French green is usually like an easy Austrian blue. A French blue may fall somewhere between a tough Austrian blue and an easy Austrian red (but it depends on the resort!).

Superdevoluy is one of the few ski areas in that region which I haven't visited, but I think it has a reputation for fairly gentle skiing, so apart from the time of year issue it might otherwise be ideal for you. It is sort of @davidof's neck of the woods, so he might have been...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Owlette Been there only for touring. The drive there from the north is long and can be tedious in winter conditions but is extremly scenic (that's where car commercials are shot). They invested a lot in their lift system recently: got five fast chairs (all major connections) and a fixed one. So the drag-lift-armageddon of old is gone. And then you can smell the Provence...

Got two problems though:
1. Very northerly exposition, so not so good midwinter. But should be good for you in this case.
2. It's a rather dry patch. That's not necessarily a problem, if you are more oriented to piste skiing. But there is not too much snow now. And although it stays cold for the forseeable future, there is only a little bit to come. So booking now is a bit of a gamble.

Other thoughts:
1. Monti is another price point. Ski area is bigger and more varied though (with Monts de la Lune). But only five fast lifts as well (and a gondola, which doesn't offer anything in addition, except a - long! - tobbogan run).
2. Orcières, though a little bit higher up, is all south facing. That's not so good in april, especially that far south. And it's considerably smaller. By a quarter in real terms.
3. As is Risoul, because it's still not linked to Vars for this season, at least afaik.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to SuperD quite a few years ago, lateish March, and was pretty good.

This year we are driving for the 1st week of the Easter hols, so the same as you, and we are heading to Val Cenis. Seems to offer higher skiing, up to 2800 I think, and more north faced slopes. Also some crazy long greens/blues for confidence building. I've got 2 teens (16 & 17) who will be in the mountains for the first time since the SuperD trip (they were only 3 and 4 then), so gentle is the key for me this trip. Mrs SHAP staying at home, so just me and the teens, so need to bring them back in one piece.

It probably doesn't fit within the 10 hour bit, but I'm doing a hotel in Beaune at each end of the trip.

Sunweb as usual, have some great deals.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:

Superdevoluy is one of the few ski areas in that region which I haven't visited, but I think it has a reputation for fairly gentle skiing, so apart from the time of year issue it might otherwise be ideal for you. It is sort of @davidof's neck of the woods, so he might have been...

I have skied there. Very pretty mountains. The accommodation is largely in a huge block of flats: thing Byker sur Neige. I skied at easter and it was great as the weather can often be quite unstable at that time of year bringing in losts of snowfall. I'd check very carefully this year because the Vercors, at least, has been as dry as a witches tit. The say 35cm at the bottom, which is a bit think for limestone mountains. It is deserted later in the season.

The other resorts: Risoul, Pra Loup, Montgenevre are all quite a long way away but may be better for snow this year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to choose a resort now - there's so much uncertainty. It's low season and there should be plenty of choice of accommodation available, especially if you avoid the Brit-trap resorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Owlette, you could look at Termignon as reasonable bet on area, plus cost vs access etc balance.

Closest entrypoint to whole Val Cenis area, direct lift up from village with snow making down to return there. Nice to ski there anyway, but easy onward link to VC next up along the valley.

Many different areas to ski there, especially if driving so not all bet into one singular ski domain. All that side of valley has north facing slopes too in potentially bringing best coverage outcome.

If it were to turn out with very difficult snow, then there's plenty to see and make a good visit from and certainly I don't feel it would be wasted in that event.

Very easy approach by road (one of the quickest and most convenient) to make it ideal for travel by road there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. It's great to have this amazing resource. Based on the replies, we discounted SuperD, and have booked Les Arcs instead. We're staying in Arc 1800 and have gone DIY to ensure we have a 2 bed apartment, which is one of our non-negotiables.

We normally book our ski holidays a year in advance (when dealing with flights), so it's quite thrilling to only have about 8 weeks to wait. I can stop being envious of those heading away next week now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy