Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Border force strikes for Feb half term planned

Poster: A snowHead
https://news.sky.com/story/1-000-border-force-officers-to-go-on-strike-for-four-days-during-february-half-term-pcs-union-announces-12800134

Just seem this. Maybe old news already but not seen another post. Don't know if this will affect tunnel or just ports.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coquelles would affect the tunnel?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I thought. Never clear about tunnel impact when discussion is solely about ports. But Coquelles being mentioned would certainly be a red flag to me....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This happened at Christmas and there was sod all impact.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
This happened at Christmas and there was sod all impact.

Hate to be complacent but I quite agree… our experience was we got through far more quickly than ever before (with kids)…. Here’s hoping as Feb half term is usually the worst given the volume of Saturday-Saturday travellers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Skimum1, I think the unions had a PR fail as they made it sounds like armageddon but not issues at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Coquelles would affect the tunnel?

Yes as this is where the tunnel departs from in France
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I read elsewhere they will take action at the Tunnel in Coquelles as the BF staff can't be replaced by Soldiers in France. _ Not sure if that's true or not.
I usually use the Coquelle entrance to the Tunnel as its quicker than the Calais turn off to access the Animal Centre. Plus there is a carrefour fuel station off the junction.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
I read elsewhere they will take action at the Tunnel in Coquelles as the BF staff can't be replaced by Soldiers in France. _ Not sure if that's true or not.

@boredsurfin, Ouch, that would make a lot of sense as it was a bit of a PR nightmare for them last time round, and I would imagine that their Marxist Union leader would love to stick it to what he probably perceives as the ski-loving middle classes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the soldiers (well military personnel, civil servants etc) In France may be a red herring. See here re todays strikes:https://www.gov.uk/government/news/strike-action-to-affect-travellers-and-goods-entering-the-uk-on-1-february

The Channel Tunnel International Arrangements Order of 1993 only refers to "Officers of the State" who require appropriate documentation to be allowed to carry out their duties so if the UK deems those stand ins as officers of the state then I can't see any snags. After all French Border Police are allowed to carry arms at the UK side and both sides can make arrests.

Of course, in such matters, governments may take another view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
It is understood the Home Office plans to use the military to backfill jobs in the UK so that experienced Border Force staff can be transferred to cover in France, rather than deploying soldiers on foreign soil in face of French sensitivities.

Quote:
“While the Government brought untrained military personnel in to replace our highly-skilled and experienced officers in airports over Christmas, they won’t be able to do that in France".

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/31/border-force-strike-dover-threatens-half-term-holiday-misery/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I get there are sensitivities, so I understand the Home Office 'understood' comments.

But the second quote is from a Union Leader - saying that its not possible - I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Taking them together they are a bit contradictory
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They were on strike when I came back from Japan into Heathrow between xmas and ny. Passport control ran better without the useless, over important fookers and was manned by polite, professional soldiers - I have never liked BF - that black paramilitary uniform gives them attitude and manners issues
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I must have been very lucky on my fortnightly trips through UK border control - I've always found the Border Force offices unfailingly polite and professional. Then again, I find the same with US border control. And French. And most people in general when you meet them in person.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we came back through LGW at xmas, it was the quietist ive ever seen it!

Its only certain ports that are striking, and at LGW the staff were border force agents who had been brought in from somewhere else not soldiers, so thats what i imagine they will do in Calais.

I walked straight up to an e-gate, which refused me entry as they always do and was then 1st in the queue at "seek assistance", it happened to be behind a guy who started arguing with the agent so i was a bit delayed until he was carted into a side room. once at the desk the BF agent said i would always be refused at e-gates because i have a common name....!!!!!
snow report
once at the desk the BF agent said i would always be refused at e-gates because i have a common name....!!!!!

I was told the same at Gatwick, but at Luton they said it was because the machine struggled to read the chip in my passport, not sure who to believe!
ski holidays
This is with 2 different passports. They word abroad.
snow report
This weeks strikes seem to have been another damp squib, I couldn't find any reports of significant delays.

I suspect the French national Strike may have more impact next Saturday if the Calais Dockers walk out
snow report
I'd never do it again after dover Friday evening Feb half term 2020 experience, wasn't any better once we got across because we didn't make it before the morning. Think we spent nearly 24 hrs in the car minus the ferry. Was nearly as bad coming back due to the storm.
ski holidays
Will be an improvement.

Last time they went on strike they had to threaten to paralyse the ports and airports by going back to work Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy