Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots for someone with limited ankle dorsiflexion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My current ski boots are about 9 years old and I've skied on them for about 400 days, so I'm looking to get a new pair after this season. I was a beginner when I bought them, so whilst there is nothing wrong with them, I am now a lot better and heavier, so am looking for something with improved performance. My problem is that I have very limited flexibility in my ankles, so when I bought them the boot fitter informed me that my only option was a custom made boot, so I ended up with a pair of Dale boots.
So I was wondering if there had been any changes in the last few years and had any manufacturer's made some more upright boots, that a fitter may be able to get to work successfully, without getting another custom boot made. Also if there hasn't been any changes recently, are there any other manufacturers making custom boots, except for Dale and Strolz, both of which don't seem to have modernised there offering in a while.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@doddsie, look into the Nordica HF range https://www.nordica.com/global/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf

I only hear good things.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too have limited ankle dorsiflexion. In my case the cause is short/tight calves, which I am now trying to remedy, with considerable success, with daily calf stretches and a roller. This is typically the cause, but some people have issues with the actual ankle joint. Prior to the calf stretching the only customisation that I had was 6mm heel lifts in my ski boots, which helped considerably. I still use the heel lifts, but will shortly be looking to buy new ski boots, hopefully without the limited ankle dorsiflexion condition. The ankle dorsiflexion can have an impact on the boot flex that is best for someone.

The Nordica HF really facilitates easy boot entry and, for some people who find it virtually impossible to slide their feet into a ski boot, is probably the only viable option.

I’d thoroughly recommend using a good boot fitter and make sure that they are aware of your restriction.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, I have no issues getting my current boots on and it was a good boot fitter that told me he couldn’t sell me any boots. Also it’s a ankle joint issue, so no stretching will help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@doddsie, the nordica HF range maybe worth considering as mentioned. On our recent trip, my friend bought a pair - in his case his issue is that his toe joints have been fused so he can;t bend his foot. This meant getting a regular boot on was a big job, whereas he can easily slide into the Nordica HF boots.

You say that your issue is not getting the botos on but the limited ankle movement - one of the ladies inour chalet mentioned that her husband also uses Nordica HF following an ankle fusion operation. I suppose it will depend then on whether the cuff allows the right angle for you.

K2 / Full Tilt boots may also be worth checking out as they don't have the standard construction, they have a removable tongue rather than overlapping "cheeks" on the calf
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@doddsie, just a point on fitting. The HFs are not really like old rear entry boots, in that the liners are very high quality and intended, where appropriate, to be "fitted". (The shells are not so very different).

Bro in law started stocking them when they came out, really to test the waters, they flew off the shelf and have continued to do so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone know if manufacturers state their boot lean angles anywhere?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@doddsie, some manufactures put it into the tech information but it is measured differently from brand to brans so doesn't always make sense

the question is did the boot fitter say he couldn't or wouldn't there is a difference, often it is more cost effective for the customer to go down the dale boot route than to take an off the shelf boot and add the custom liner and the work required to "possibly" make it work

so you have a dale boot, if that is working for you, and it does work for a lot of people i would stick there, you have something that is designed to work with your issue, it isn't for everyone, but if ity works keep going... you could update it to the latest version which looks a little less 70's
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the reply CEM, it was you who sent me to Dale boots and it was a couldn't not a wouldn't.
The Dale boots have been ok, but my foot can twist inside my boots when I really pressure them and I get really cold feet even on warm days.
I was just wondering if anything has changed in the last decade in terms of manufacturers offerings that might now allow me to get an off the shelf boot or if there was any other customer boot manufacturers anywhere in the world that were offering something that would work.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
doddsie wrote:
Thanks for the reply CEM, it was you who sent me to Dale boots and it was a couldn't not a wouldn't.
The Dale boots have been ok, but my foot can twist inside my boots when I really pressure them and I get really cold feet even on warm days.
I was just wondering if anything has changed in the last decade in terms of manufacturers offerings that might now allow me to get an off the shelf boot or if there was any other customer boot manufacturers anywhere in the world that were offering something that would work.

nothing really changed, the nordica rear entry boot as some have mentioned, but it is a high volume fit , the liners in your dales have probably packed out by now so you could just get a new liner and replace the sole pads if everything else is good..... they could also bolster the fit around the ankle
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy