Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is that ski repairable and skiable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey!

After a day of skiing, I've noticed that my ski had a big bump right in the middle of the ski and that the top sheet started to delaminate.

The bump is most likely due to a hard impact on landing or something like that, and so that is not covered by the warranty.

As you can see in the pictures below, the bump in mostly around the edge of the ski, the core/centre looks fine. The base is alright, no big dent or anything. The edge is also alright (althought quite bent)

Question is, is that repairable at all and would it be trustable to ski once repaired? I ski these in quite a playful way, I like to jump around and dropping some mid sized cliffs.

What I was planning on doing was to apply some slow drying epoxy to fill the crack near the top sheet, then use 3 c-clamps to squeeze the ski between 2 blocks of wood to try to reduced the bump and let the epoxy cure like that. Would that be good enough or is there something more to do?

Thank you very much for your help guys Smile

The pictures :

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hard to tel, from the pics but it looks like you've bent the skis. how old?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2023. Happened on the first ride out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@xiud, ...er I hate to be the bringer of bad news but i think you have quite comprehensively destroyed the ski. A bit of epoxy won’t do it. And apart from it skiing in a very weird way, I would not want to stress the ski for fear of it doing some very strange things.

Re is it repairable - a crack and a bent base? No.

And I think the clue might be in ‘...dropping some mid sized cliffs...’. With this style of skiing, you need to treat a pair of skis as a consumable item. If you are hucking cliffs I would suggest start buying slightly older skis on ebay. When knowingly hitting some cliffs (I will not include the day Nicky took us to Zarbona without warning and guided us over the cliff there...ouch ouch on my Salomon park skis) I take my rat skis. Either cost nothing (a pair of Armadas from the skip at Barzettes at the end of the season) or very little (Kastle Colby park skis 50.00gbp. 4Frnt twin tips 45.00gbp). That kind of cost means it’s not awful when you....er....bend one.

Par example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMADA-AR6-2008-Twin-Tip-Freeride-Ski-176cm/204203683602?hash=item2f8b7cef12:g:1iQAAOSwed1jsyue&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoHAwaBlYZzjPLs9D7G3LO7T9GGtDxMs2wbSO5dfq4VAPvjhBSzAWvvoXWb+shb/YqbTtU/h6Rt9ZvwRcbOH1wkpl1WqDFUBy/jAxo0pN9/vQD7sohXhcj9fTLEsvQkM3sXxr1vqo1jMjebhwuRmnIvNa4+2fNdpaB454Vjps9Zkk9Af3e+GVz/GIuFr23Xi5T4KtYwfZ011Jq5yDD+lTlew=%7Ctkp:Bk9SR9q6hu3BYQ&pageci=3b435e40-ed3d-4e0c-b55d-7d15a6ea4957&redirect=mobile

And

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Movement-Spurce-free-ride-park-twin-tip-skis-184-cm-No-bindings/275655489640?hash=item402e58f868:g:Z1QAAOSwlotjbLoU&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoD2Wdmr6hCGfjj3PRpYjv53nadJcILiC+C2562N37akK7YhBOwGk9UXuXL5N+REzWBmnXwd+9TGb/nnbZdYJJyCyI6XMClt+KzW2AMPyI//o6jLi0bVb5DbXXje7LgqFYgHvW9GOOchJB3iqV89ZyJlHvVERSC7J7/D361G8V45flxEhox+JM0gyYXGKm9Cyl8zTcSrrie56oG1A0vjV0lM=%7Ctkp:Bk9SR6CFle3BYQ&pageci=c641cab6-fea8-4750-9d9e-6a146d085257&redirect=mobile

I have some VOLKL Bridge twin tips 169 with Griffon bindings going for 75.00 plus postage...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen skis in worse shape than that be skied somewhat aggressively without killing the rider...but they lasted less than a day before disintegrating completely. Definitely a write off unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and welcome to sHs! Strong first post haha.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately agree with above Sad looks bent along edge obviously, but also looks to have breached the core structure locally to give that hump in top plane. Think like you've bent a green tree branch to partially break the fibres, not all the way through, but enough that the fibre structure is no longer competent.

It would surprise me if it could be moved back into alignment and securely bonded to match the other one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@xiud, I do think, if logistically possible, that you have a reasonable argument to take back to the shop, assuming you can still walk that is.

Landing a modest huck that you can walk away from should not break your skis (or there would be no ski films made).

K2 Reckoners: "From the powder to the park and everywhere in between, the Reckoner 102 delivers the same versatility and playfulness thanks to its heavy freestyle influence.

Featuring the same tech as its bigger brothers but with a more nimble waist width, this playful twin-tip is at home whipping cork threes off cat tracks, pivoting through tight east coast trees, or hunting for side hits on the groomers. "

Even if not the 102 this range are marketed directly at " in quite a playful way, I like to jump around and dropping some mid sized cliffs"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think worth taking back to the shop. I kinda feel that if the impact from landing was harsh enough to break the ski, the damage would *look* somewhat more catastrophic.

Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like the sandwich construction is actually visible on the outside aside from the bump, which to me suggests you maybe had a bad ski where the impact has caused the core to delam internally. Or, the toe piece hasn't been screwed in deep enough and the screws have pulled the insides apart?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@xiud, take it back to the shop you bought it from. Clearly there is a manufacturing defect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seem to recall, a good few years ago, the sis-in-law bending a pair of new skis (Völkl Mantra) on one of the first days out, returned to shop and replaced shortly thereafter with the following year's graphics.

Something had gone wrong and the entire batch hadn't been bonded correctly. Völkl have a pretty good rep for quality (and K2 don't, so much, any more ... )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Already tried to bring the ski back to the shop; nothing they can do as the damage is caused by an impact :/

And from the look of it, the toe piece seems to have been screwed in properly fortunately / unfortunarely hehe
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@xiud, do you know exactly when the damage occurred (I.e you jumped off a specific cliff, landed, saw the damage) or are you assuming? As@haigie says, it seems strange that the internal damage is so severe yet the surface damage is very minor- unless there was a defect to start with.
If you know you hit a rock, then you just have to suck it up and move on. But if not, then I'd be tempted to push the shop harder.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Repaired worse, although it’s tricky to tell the full extent of the damage from the pictures. You have nothing to lose by trying.

You have the right idea with the slow cure epoxy and clamping. If necessary, spend some time with a Dremel to clean up the ‘wound’, followed by a thorough clean and dry.

You’ll probably struggle to straighten the edge completely by clamping with the wood alone as you’ve suggested. A blunt(ish) chisel and hammer can be used to try and straighten things more precisely. Position the chisel against the black sidewall (just above the edge) and hit downwards towards the base. Then epoxy and clamp etc. Once done, you can plane/sand the sidewall to hide any damage from the chisel for a neater repair.

If/when you’re done, use the damaged ski so that the repair is on your outside edge (less weight/stress).

Oh, avoid K2/Line skis next time…
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@xiud, I’d go back to the shop again. That’s not normal wear andvtear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy