Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best affordable GoPro or similar action camera for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, We are looking for a good and affordable (if the two go together?) GoPro or similar branded or non branded action camera to use while skiing. Looking for a small(ish) model that is not too big or prominent, with a decent battery life. We need it delivered within a week. I have seen there are huge differences in price between branded GoPro cameras and lesser known brands in e.g. Amazon. Are the original GoPros worth the extra money, or would a cheaper model for less than £100 do the job for a family who will only use it very occasionally when on holiday 3-4 times per year? Which one would you recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to be REALLY careful with the non-branded models. I have a ~10 year old Rollei that was also sold by Decathlon under their Geonaute brand & a much newer non-branded “4k” model. The difference is night & day. The old one blows the new one away, both in picture quality and angle of view.
If you’re mounting your action camera on you, a wide angle view will be less susceptible to shake as you bounce through the moguls. A 360 camera might also be worth a look because, apparently, you can choose which part of the captured image you include in your final video masterpiece.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
… down side of the wide angle is, of course, if you’re trying to record one or all of the “three” they’ll be tiny if they are more than ten feet away from you. For that, I just use an old phone in a case with a colourful lanyard in case I drop it in the snow (don’t ask me how I know…)
Also, don’t keep it in a breast pocket. They’re flipping sore when you land on them (again, don’t ask…)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had an old gopro hero hd and replaced it with this a few years back, the difference was night and day and plenty of positive reviews!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKASO-Underwater-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Accessories/dp/B078MFZRH9/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.60f51b08-e05a-4aa5-a15c-a6011fc001f7%3Aamzn1.sym.60f51b08-e05a-4aa5-a15c-a6011fc001f7&crid=2XSA47OSAMFMT&cv_ct_cx=ct+9500+action+camera&keywords=ct+9500+action+camera&pd_rd_i=B078MFZRH9&pd_rd_r=821de123-b57b-4a25-99d7-4f4c68bbae1d&pd_rd_w=cTRpA&pd_rd_wg=LJIRv&pf_rd_p=60f51b08-e05a-4aa5-a15c-a6011fc001f7&pf_rd_r=7D1M9EZAD6E3TQC6APJP&qid=1675142954&sprefix=ct+9500+action+camera%2Caps%2C155&sr=1-18-6b4e6f58-b7c8-49cf-b378-c33ed82e3b01-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cardweg, Thanks for your reply, how interesting that find your branded 10 year old action camera much better than the newer non-branded 4k model! I haven't heard of the brand Rollei and I get the impression that second hand older model GoPro cameras are more expensive than unbranded newer ones, from looking on eBay and Amazon. Yes I will be mounting the camera on me, probably on my chest as that seems to give a better view than mounting it on the helmet. Thanks for the tip about the wide angle view.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-01-23 9:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@KenX, Thanks for your reply. Interesting that you prefer this cheaper unbranded model from Amazon to your old GoPro Hero! I think we might go for this one on Amazon then. It's a bit of a jungle out there for someone who doesn't know anything about action cameras lol. We just want to use it to film our children ski and do other fun things (such as snorkel in the Red Sea when we go there), to keep as a memory.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To get you going @Motherofthree, and with one of the smallest form in decent camera performance this https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/gopro-hero-session/sku-1790707 is a good deal and from very reliable supplier of secondhand equipment with backup warranty.

It's not going to do everything (what does at lower price point) but is very unobtrusive, will capture plenty for you to play with and without much special arrangement to get it into use for outdoor sport. Well that's absolutely no special preparation at all, just ways to mount it on your preferred carrier Very Happy

We've an old one of these, it's been skiing, mountain biking, karting in soaking wet conditions, front of a surfboard in Cornwall, basically anything you can throw at it. Still working perfectly.

Shortcomings, battery life not huge but certainly serviceable for complete top to base ski runs etc, use a power pack to recharge in field if necessary.

Highly recommended to start filming and that may give you far more experience to decide wherever you may want to go then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, Thanks for the recommendation. This camera looks interesting as it's affordable and small (although it is 8 years old). How long approximately does the battery last? Can you charge it when you're out and about using a power bank? It doesn't look like it comes with fittings to fit to your chest or helmet, so I guess you would have to buy that separately.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
very good prices on the gopro bundle at the moment

https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/cameras/hero11-black-mini/CHDHF-111-master.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ours is about that age (ours son's technically Very Happy ) and still OK battery wise.

No the battery is not replaceable out and about in conventional terms of just swapped another into place as it's fitted within waterproof case etc. Hence advice to use a power pack like some may use for recharge of mobile phone etc.

In reality it works really well but clearly it's not a camera that you can keep a pocket of spare cells for. Practical in most of scenario we've used it in. Worth a question to MPB about battery condition probably.

Mounting, it uses very simple "pucks" that you stick on to helmet etc (a few can be pre sited for later use, swap between skier) or we've a chest harness that is effective.

The pure size is most beneficial though as its very easy to site and with extremely low weight.

Some compromises, but very good balance we feel in extended experience of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nbt, Thanks, but I think £388 for the bundle is quite steep, even it's one of the latest GoPro models... I saw it was on sale for less earlier in January though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski3, Okay, thanks for your reply, we will think about it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Motherofthree wrote:
Are the original GoPros worth the extra money, or would a cheaper model for less than £100 do the job for a family who will only use it very occasionally when on holiday 3-4 times per year? Which one would you recommend?

You have to be a bit careful. Some of the cheap action cams have poor lenses, poor sensors, poor image processing and poor data rates and will give blurry images even if they are nominally 4K.

You need optical or at least electronic image stabilization, and if you want really good pictures, a gimbal. Compression depends on minimizing the changes between images and shakey footage will overtax the computer giving blurry images.

This review shows why the Asako EK7000 is NOT a Go Pro killer - it's not real 4k and no OIS or EIS

http://youtube.com/v/wRhgEd8o_Pk

Image stabilization will push the price more into the 100+ quid range though and bare in mind IS will not always work in all resolutions.

A screen is essential too. I have a couple of cheap action cams, both give good to excellent results. You'll need a case to protect it and mounts. Be careful about helmet mounts as landing on the camera may damage the helmet and your head.

Cases tend to steam up on the mountain due to the heat generated by the camera.

I would check out YouTube reviews to get an idea. (remember YouTube will also compress the uploaded videos)

f'rexample:

http://youtube.com/v/1NVOQEyQiIg

of course, prices have gone up a lot post Covid.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are very pleased with the AKASO V50 Pro SEwhich I bought 2 years ago. I would buy Akaso again, probably this one as it is capable of 60fps at 4k plus they have added zoom. AKASO V50 Elite 4K/60fps

Lots of youtube videos worth looking at to help or confuse.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
...of course, prices have gone up a lot post Covid.
Well GoPro is 1$ = 1£, so there's that.

Motherofthree wrote:
Are the original GoPros worth the extra money
Cheaper POV cameras aren't "GoPro killers", they're just cheaper, and with lower quality. Take a look at real user-generated content [not professional stuff!] shot on whatever camera you're thinking about, and if you don't find the quality a problem, then you answered the question. I suspect 99.9% of people with action cameras, and 100% of people who ask this question, would be entirely happy with a cheaper camera.

I don't personally find a screen essential - once a camera's set up for snow sports, you just have to press a single button. Modern cameras will all let you use your phone as a screen anyway. Battery life... is never an issue for me, but then I just shoot the stuff I think will be interesting, in short clips so it's easy to edit. I'd be very sceptical of old technology: things improve really fast. You can buy lots of accessories, but I can't work out what most of them would be useful for.
snow report
Get a second hand GoPro, that's what I did. The ones on eBay often come with lots of accessories which is often just as important - mine came with chest mount, and a few sticks as well. Oh and battery is extremely important in the cold.
latest report
@Motherofthree, Hi, I think I can sort this for you - I have a very extensive GoPro bundle including numerous batteries, and additional battery pack, Chesty and various other mounts that i'd be keen to let you have in line with your budget, its a GoPro earlier model, works perfectly well, hardly any use at all and I don't use it, probably 20 hours use in its life. Was about to put it on eBay, if you PM me with your contact details and i'll whatsapp or email you photos of the bundle, its good to go and photos are on my phone.
snow report
For info I use an SJ4000 and Firefly 8S (superseeded by the 8SE). The firefly has optical image stabilization and does a pretty good job but it is quite an old design now.

http://youtube.com/v/Fvoto1vZwMw

and I filmed this with my Firefly - any blurs are the fogging problem in the case I mentioned earlier - obviously the waterproof gopros won't suffer from this as they don't use an external case - but the case does protect the camera from damage. There is a no distortion len model which is great as a go to camera but everyone has phones these days for stills.

http://youtube.com/v/6S6ljcBvPpo
snow conditions
Thank you all for your replies. I think the majority of the people who have replied seem to think that an older model GoPro or other branded camera is preferable to a newer model, cheaper unbranded camera. I have seen some videos on YouTube with different cameras and must admit that the video quality with the GoPros tend to be really good. But the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that I can perhaps just continue using my iphone...?
snow report
@Motherofthree, Of course the real cheat would be to order one of each from Amazon, try them and return the one you don't like.
snow conditions
Timc wrote:
@Motherofthree, Of course the real cheat would be to order one of each from Amazon, try them and return the one you don't like.

The real cheat is to order one of each, keep the camera, and send back a packet with some cheap object (tiles are popular) inside that weigh exactly what the stolen camera weighs.

Personally, if the camera is for just a bit of fun I would look at the SJCams or ASAKOs as suggested above. I wouldn't spend 300 quid on something I might lose or damage unless it was for pro use.
snow report
The best value entry point to trying gopro is that session I posted above.

Its also from a well respected photographic trade dealer of all things secondhand in imaging, with good reputation and their six month warranty to back that up. It's extremely low risk and a pittance in money to try a very good product.

Paired with a phone if you need screen, its such an easy device to use out in any environment, push to start push to stop, then outload the footage back at base. Possibly the least intrusive way to get going and see if its for you or not.
snow conditions
@ski3, except that you'll still need to buy mounts etc, so whilst the basic unit price is good, it will end up costing more than the kits from the likes of SJcam and Asako. Sure, the overall user experience may be better (or not) but there are disadvantages for the first time user. You'll need to have a phone out to see what you're actually capturing (Vs seeing it directly on the camera screen), and the short battery life isn't great when you aren't expert at framing your clips.

@Motherofthree, you need to be really close to someone to get decent footage with an action camera - the field of view is really wide. For that, a mobile phone will probably work just as well (unless you are, um, hucking cliffs wink ). A phone is less use underwater, obviously. But mostly - just don't underestimate the amount of time you'll need to edit, if you take much video, not overestimate how good it is likely to be!
snow conditions
Who would use screen on POV footage ?

Three pads with 3M sticky are about €6.00 for helmet mounts, that's no barrier really.

Footage time, as noted above by @phil_w, keep it to short clips and there's almost no edit time, you can just select by turning on, doing something, then switch off. Full running time for hours then selecting in edit most are not going to bother, whatever the device.

Concise capture, many clips gives very good flavour and coverage with excellent introduction to this field. Don't think the OP was setting out to produce full feature movie, but may be wrong.

This does give very decent intro to assess if they want more involved future capture.
snow report
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate your help and suggestions. We are still thinking about if it is necessary to buy an action camera, or if I should stick with just using my iPhone. It can be used to film underwater too if you put it in a water-tight pouch (the type you use in water parks to carry your phone around your neck). I think it seems complicated with all the gear you need with an action camera, edit the video footage and learn how to use a new camera. The videos I take now with my iPhone are usually less than 90 seconds and for that purpose, the mobile phone works fine (although I can't film the children on steeper slopes, as I am not that confident a skier).
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:
@cardweg, Thanks for your reply, how interesting that find your branded 10 year old action camera much better than the newer non-branded 4k model! I haven't heard of the brand Rollei and I get the impression that second hand older model GoPro cameras are more expensive than unbranded newer ones, from looking on eBay and Amazon. Yes I will be mounting the camera on me, probably on my chest as that seems to give a better view than mounting it on the helmet. Thanks for the tip about the wide angle view.

For clarity, my comment was more about the variable quality of modern, no-name cameras from the likes of Amazon & eBay. You do need to be careful and do your research.
On the other hand, I have just received some footage from a GoPro Hero9 from my trip a couple of weeks back. It blows my Rollei away and has image stabilisation too.
There is also the added benefit that, with it being waterproof, the audio is also great as opposed to my Rollei where the mic is hidden away inside a waterproof housing.

Happy hunting & have a great trip!
CW snowHead
ski holidays
I have a GroPro Hero 8 black. It’s a few years old now but was the first generation with the image stabilisation. Great results and you’ll be able to pick one up reasonably cheap now.

This was filmed on one.

http://youtube.com/v/SxnrN9cZyVQ

Having moved from a different brand to GoPro, I have to say the difference was huge and I wouldn’t go back now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy