Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heat moulding boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just went to a london based outdoor shop to have my Lange XC 120 (2016) boots punched out (not my best decision ever) and instead they stuck them in an oven, and my liners (foam injected) on some sort of heater.

Not only do i think it was totally ineffective, but as far as i can tell from some researching, the boots aren't heat mouldable. I'm worried now that the boots and liners might be compromised/unsafe.

Is my concern warranted?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The boots are very unlikely to be compromised. What is almost certain is that the process was totally ineffective in increasing volume or adapting the shell to your foot (refund request?). Polyether lower shells are difficult to punch (it does tend to rebound if stretched) but it is perfectly possible to do in the hands of a good fitter … eg CEM in Bicester, Simon in Dry Drayton or a similar professional ….this is a good thread:

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/do-lange-and-other-polyether-boots-require-a-different-approach-when-trying-to-gain-volume.4949/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vandarle, putting a shell in an oven id not generally going to cause a problem, it is fine to "contour" a shell but it won't give you a precise stretch of any size in a given area, (it will do that on certain shell plastics but on everything)

unless melted it is not likely to compromise safety, but on certain older plastics has been known to cause flex differences

as for warming the liners, again unlikely to cause damage but will give a sensation of creating general space, unlikely to get much change at all in an injected liner especially after having been skied in

ovens are useful in boot fitting but they are not a substitute for assessment, correct shell selection, adequate foot support, tools and knowledge, unfortuneatley there is a new breed of shops where all they have is an oven and maybe a basic stretcher..... what you have experienced is plain good old fashioned lazy boot "fitting" and a lot of the reason people think that boot fitters don't have any idea about what they are doing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We put around 70% of our boots in the oven, due to Nylon 12's low working temperature being 85°, not sure that makes us a "new breed of shop" though. Super effective tool and process in our opinion.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH2O wrote:
We put around 70% of our boots in the oven, due to Nylon 12's low working temperature being 85°, not sure that makes us a "new breed of shop" though. Super effective tool and process in our opinion.

nope, sorry you are still old school you have the tools to make the manual adjustments as well, its the stores that only have an oven that are the ones i worry about (well i don't worry about them as they can't finish the job)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well - I took the plunge and just did a DIY punch of the heel-pockets on my Dynafit Hoji Free 110s (...before the keyboard warriors attack: it's been a success, and no kittens died snowHead )

Plenty of YouTube videos out there of DIY punching, particularly the one by Eric Hjorleifson (Hoji) himself doing exactly what I needed on some Hoji 130s ... video link below

I luckily had an old welding clamp which I used to make a punch-tool, from a roll-on cap & some car-filler.

I protected the rest of the shell/cuff with thick cardboard and used a temp. adjustable hot-air gun for about 4mins, checking the plastic temperature with an infra-red thermometer as Pebax can quickly melt if too hot.

Seems to have worked... Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/41euycYDT_s
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@geoffers, good work Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
CH2O wrote:

nope, sorry you are still old school you have the tools to make the manual adjustments as well, its the stores that only have an oven that are the ones i worry about (well i don't worry about them as they can't finish the job)

we're strictly "New school" we've got a laser beam, somewhere.........
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geoffers, nice work but will you now ski like Hoji?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CH2O wrote:
CEM wrote:
CH2O wrote:

we're strictly "New school" we've got a laser beam, somewhere.........

geeze, did you buy into that laser stuff Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy