Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowy transfer day

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips for a snowy drive upto Tigne? Apart from chains, gloves, brush. Does the road get cleared often? Forecast says 30-40cm due on transfer day.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wonderwoman,

The road is always cleared but chains may be mandatory if snow is settling in depth on the roads.

When is your transfer day?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Does the road get cleared often?

Yes, and to make that possible chains might be compulsory from the bottom. Just make sure you can put your chains on properly and be prepared for delays. And rejoice!!

A small child's spade - little plastic beach thing - can be useful for scraping away the snow around the wheel. Something to kneel on. And big tough black plastic bag to throw the chains in when you take them off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:
@wonderwoman,

We are heading upto le lac on Saturday (1st). The forecast could very well change by then but it seems to be consistently saying snow.

Im packing today so good tip regarding strong bag and kneel pad. Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wonderwoman,

Currently snowing heavy in Tignes but roads are still open.

Give the post a bump on Thursday or Friday and I will give an update on current conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wonderwoman wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@wonderwoman,

We are heading upto le lac on Saturday (1st). The forecast could very well change by then but it seems to be consistently saying snow.

Im packing today so good tip regarding strong bag and kneel pad. Thanks

Yes I'm starting to ponder the same questions for our trip to Belle Plagne on the same day. Some great tips above.

It's still a week away so the forecast can still change.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do hope all those folks who were reassured that chains were never compulsory and definitely wouldn't be needed on 1 April took the advice with a pinch of salt. Good stuff when there's snow around. My chains are too big for my present car. They could be lashed up, but that's not very satisfactory and they fit my daughter and son in law's T4 so I'm generously giving them away and replacing them.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No tips I think you have it covered , this time of year the tarmac has absorbed a lot of sun and retains a lot of heat even if it’s snowing im the valley the roads are normally black until close to resort levels . So example for Tignes during the daytime the roads will be fine beyond Ste Foy village on a cold one and next Saturday the snow level is forecast quite high so I’d expect the roads will be clear at least to the dam if not higher .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry if a repeat post. Can’t see my original one. I’m arriving later today in the Alps - I have winter tyres and 4WD plus chains if needed. Hoping tyres and 4WD will be alright? Val Thorens is the final destination.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Hoping tyres and 4WD will be alright?

Probably. There were reports from Tignes a week or so ago that ALL vehicles were being required to put on chains but usually 4WD with good winter tyres would be allowed up to resorts without.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wonderwoman, as already indicated, it's generally a well cleared fairly high traffic route up to Tignes normally passable without problems.

The section from Bourg St Maurice up to Ste Foy Village (on your route) has the steepest section /gradient with hairpin bends, wide and not really restricted, but be ready with your own contingency there as you may be working around others not so immediately prepared if it's heavy snowfall.

Always exciting to get substantial snow on the way to a week skiing though Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wonderwoman wrote:
Any tips for a snowy drive upto Tigne? Apart from chains, gloves, brush. Does the road get cleared often? Forecast says 30-40cm due on transfer day.

Thanks

Heading up to Val Cenis on the same day, as you say, forecast may change, but looking good.

I do wonder though, at village height of. 1300/1400m, is it likely I'd need more than snow socks?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stewart woodward, many years ago I was unable to drive from Moutiers to Val D'sere because of avalanches. I stopped overnight at Brides Les Bains.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

is it likely I'd need more than snow socks?

Snow socks should be fine. Easier to fit than chains. Not nearly so hard-wearing but you're not likely to need them for long.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Snow socks should be fine. Easier to fit than chains. Not nearly so hard-wearing but you're not likely to need them for long.

That's my thoughts too, especially as I'm not heading crazy high, village wise. I have decent Autosocks, and i guess I'll be able to pick up some chains between our overnight in Beaune and Val Cenis should i really need to.
snow conditions
Quote:

Any tips for a snowy drive upto Tigne?

Patience! Our pb on a very snowy transfer day, after managing to get locked IN an apartment (don't ask), was 11 hours to Lyon. Shocked
latest report
SHAP wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That's my thoughts too, especially as I'm not heading crazy high, village wise. I have decent Autosocks, and i guess I'll be able to pick up some chains between our overnight in Beaune and Val Cenis should i really need to.

There's really the one significant gradient with a couple of hairpin from Ternignon village (it's not a tight naggery but, but good generally) that may cause much of a problem. The route generally gains altitude almost imperceptibly and shouldn't give you problem equipped that way. Slow and careful if its significant snow laying will ordinarily get you there on that road.

Significant sized Intermarchè at Modane if needed for kit and supplies if demanded, another a little smaller further along the route to VC.

Journey wise, it's one of the most relaxed of the region in getting to village altitude of Ternignon and VC. It's a really nice drive I feel.
snow conditions
@ski3, Cheers. Modane is a good shout, as we should be very aware of the conditions by that stage...
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
@wonderwoman,

Currently snowing heavy in Tignes but roads are still open.

Give the post a bump on Thursday or Friday and I will give an update on current conditions.

Thanks we are also driving up on the 1st. Have provisionally booked accommodation in Moutiers just in case it is awful and can't get up. To be honest more concerned about the Switchbacks through St Foy than the road up to Tignes as that is pretty good road, wide and not too steep.
ski holidays
Ok to give you an idea , today is quite cold and very snowy I’m just seeing pics of traffic chaos on the approach to the dam, between the dechette and tunnel de Brevieres . Sadly I cannot post the pics but looks like people putting chains on the side of the road blocking it up and the gendarmerie with tow trucks . I suspect as usual arrivals trying to wing it .
snow report
SHAP wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Thanks

Heading up to Val Cenis on the same day, as you say, forecast may change, but looking good.

I do wonder though, at village height of. 1300/1400m, is it likely I'd need more than snow socks?

The freezing level forecast for next weekend is above 1950meters so anything falling in Val Cenis and lower down in Termignon is very likely to be rain.
ski holidays
Quote:

looks like people putting chains on the side of the road blocking it up and the gendarmerie with tow trucks .

rolling eyes Some people just won't learn. A shame for all the folk held up behind them. This is why the gendarmes will sometimes insist on chains from the bottom - and next Saturday is going to be a busy one. A road doesn't have to be particularly steep to create problems for cars without winter tyres - especially if drivers respond by just revving harder.
latest report
But really, it's SO exciting to be having to plan for chains or snow socks and having emergency stuff in the car. snowHead
snow report
wonderwoman wrote:

Thanks

Practise putting your chains on your car at home! Ideally at dusk because its rarely daylight when you need to put them on for real!
snow conditions
andmelffion wrote:
SHAP wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Thanks

The freezing level forecast for next weekend is above 1950meters so anything falling in Val Cenis and lower down in Termignon is very likely to be rain.

You could well be right, but it looks to be dropping... https://www.skipass.com/meteo/val-cenis.html
latest report
So today the problem is that the roads were black until just before La Brev where it quickly turned to full on settled snow on the road the drivers were simply unprepared = chaos
latest report
Griggs wrote:
Sorry if a repeat post. Can’t see my original one. I’m arriving later today in the Alps - I have winter tyres and 4WD plus chains if needed. Hoping tyres and 4WD will be alright? Val Thorens is the final destination.

It looks like you will be ok without chains, though the winter tyres will be "key" wink Toofy Grin . I took this photo in Val T 5 minutes ago. It's been snowing all day but the road is clear Very Happy

I hope you have a pleasant journey.
latest report
@Rob Mackley, And 2 hours later the Tignes app broadcasts a warning about needing special winter equipment -- a day late and a dollar short! The irony is that there were no queues yesterday on the main transfer day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
But really, it's SO exciting to be having to plan for chains or snow socks and having emergency stuff in the car. snowHead

Yes! Isn't it???

I'm driving Cherbourg to L2A on 31st/1st and had assumed I wouldn't need to worry about them. Will it be possible to get chains en route? I don't have any that fit my current car, which doesn't have winter tyres. Previously I've got them in a supermarket on the way but also had difficulty late in the season with low supplies. I don't think I have time to order online as we're leaving home Thursday am.
ski holidays
@Pending, you should get them with "express delivery" from the Roof Box Company. Order now. Just make sure you get the tyre size right.
ski holidays
@Pending, Le Clerc stores had plenty of chains in recently.

You could google Norauto stores on your route. www.norauto.fr (pretty much the French equivalent of Halfords) if it transpires that you need to pick some chains up.
latest report
Or Feu Vert
snow report
Pending wrote:
pam w wrote:

Yes! Isn't it???

I'm driving Cherbourg to L2A on 31st/1st and had assumed I wouldn't need to worry about them. Will it be possible to get chains en route? I don't have any that fit my current car, which doesn't have winter tyres. Previously I've got them in a supermarket on the way but also had difficulty late in the season with low supplies. I don't think I have time to order online as we're leaving home Thursday am.

You can also hire them from norauto depending on the car you have, pick them up en route and drop off on way back

https://www.norauto.fr/-cms-location-chaines-neige.html
ski holidays
Thanks all, just retrieved the old chains (from 2 cars back) from the "to go to dump" pile and despite a very different vehicle they actually do fit!! Can't believe it never occurred to me to actually check. So, sorted! And I remembered how to put them on snowHead
snow conditions
its great to see all the snow falling in the alps, and especially VT for me next week.

luckily i found a brand new (unused) set of Thule easyfit chains for my car on eBay the other month, at over half the RRP, should be circa £350 for my size wheels, but was being sold for £150.
The bag they come in is designed as a kneel mat as well, so one less item to worry about.

https://snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Thule+CU9+Easy-fit/

the seller had purchased a new car after buying the chains before having to use them!!

have tried them a couple of times, and they literally take longer to take out of the bag than put on and off again, about 30 seconds to fit, and no wrapped knuckles!!

must admit i will be quite happy to give them a go if required Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

The bag they come in is designed as a kneel mat as well

But after you've been kneeling on it, in mud and snow, you might need another clean bag to put it in.....
snow report
I'm excited for fresh snow but hadn't planned for it. I need some snowhead advice!

My dealership and car handbook specifically says we cannot fit snow chains to our toyota corolla hybrid estate, due to minimal clearance in wheel arch/ behind wheel. We have Michelin crossclimates that perform very well in the snow but not got chains.

We'll be driving to Ste Foy on afternoon/evening of 31st March. I've had a look online and it seems to suggest we could get some thule k summit k23 chains that 'might' work for our car. I'm not sure if they'll be ok, or whether I can buy some in time, and they're very pricey. I'm guessing snow socks will not be any better than our tyres? Should I just pay £300 for the chains against deadlership advice and hope they don't damage my car, assuming some are in stock and can be express shipped? I doubt norauto will have suitable chains for my car en route?
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

The bag they come in is designed as a kneel mat as well

But after you've been kneeling on it, in mud and snow, you might need another clean bag to put it in...

am just going to chuck it back in the roof box @pam w,
snow conditions
[quote="carettam"]I'm excited for fresh snow but hadn't planned for it. I need some snowhead advice!

My dealership and car handbook specifically says we cannot fit snow chains to our toyota corolla hybrid estate, due to minimal clearance in wheel arch/ behind wheel. We have Michelin crossclimates that perform very well in the snow but not got chains.

If your dealership and handbook specifically say not to use snow chains then don’t do it as they clearly are not suitable for your car. Even with cross climate tyres we have used snow socks in snow several inches thick as they add much better traction.
latest report
Yes, lots of reports on SHs that snow socks work fine - they're just not so hard wearing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy