Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hidden valley doable from canazei?

Poster: A snowHead
First time in Dolomites and loving it, big thanks to snowheads forum for helpful tips so far. We are intermediates, have each skied 4-5 times previously and completed green sella ronda today with time to spare. We are hoping to do hidden valley tomorrow/Friday but worried about timing/feasibility. Considering option of taxi from Arabba to Lagazuoi at least for the outbound leg to save time/muscle fatigue. Possibly also for return. Unfortunately there are no local day bus trips running to Lagazuoi from canazei either from your operator or local ski school. Would be grateful for any tips and is it doable? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
https://www.opensnowmap.org/#map=11/11.86/46.533&b=snowmap&m=false&h=true

Study the map - fast to get over a bit more time to get back.
Or make a one night stay on Lagazoui.

https://rifugiolagazuoi.com/

or

https://www.rifugioscoiattoli.it/eng/

Or

https://www.rifugioaverau.it/

Have to telephone and hear if they have beds.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-01-23 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No stress. Up onto Belvedere and out right (Sella Ronda green) head to Covara. Then take the yellow bubble out of Corvara heading towards San Cassiano (all well signposted). As you're getting close to San Cass. keep an eye out for the turn/sign on the right for Armentarola. Take the turn and keep going until you get to the bus queue. Take the bus, it'll drop you at Lagazuoi cable car station. Up the cable car, exit and follow your nose until you smell horse $hit. Razz It's truly spectacular run off of Lagazuoi. The horses drop you back to Armentarola and then follow your tracks back to Canazei. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski wrote:
No stress. Up onto Belvedere and out right (Sella Ronda green) head to Covara. Then take the yellow bubble out of Corvara heading towards San Cassiano (all well signposted). As you're getting close to San Cass. keep an eye out for the turn/sign on the right for Armentarola.azei.

I’m not sure I’d go to Corvara.
From Campologo, go right, over the road and then down to La Vizza. Misery chair and one long run down towards San Cass, looking out for the hutte on the right. Then look for the Armentarola turn just after the uphill bit where the piste from Las Vegas joins on the left.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Red Leon, More direct, but I reckoned by keeping them on the SR for as long as possible it would keep it simple.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CannyMan wrote:
First time in Dolomites and loving it, big thanks to snowheads forum for helpful tips so far. We are intermediates, have each skied 4-5 times previously and completed green sella ronda today with time to spare. We are hoping to do hidden valley tomorrow/Friday but worried about timing/feasibility. Considering option of taxi from Arabba to Lagazuoi at least for the outbound leg to save time/muscle fatigue. Possibly also for return. Unfortunately there are no local day bus trips running to Lagazuoi from canazei either from your operator or local ski school. Would be grateful for any tips and is it doable? Thanks.

We stayed in Penia in 2020, just along the road from Canazei. Our rep at the hotel actually suggested the above plan to us. Up early for first lift, ski hard to Arabba, jump in a taxi, beat the crowds to the hidden valley, enjoy it pretty much to yourself. Worked well and I think cost us about 8 euro each (in a group for Cool for the taxi.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks everyone for tips. How far down the run is scotinis? Would you recommend going for the horse sledding bit?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CannyMan, Scotinis is towards the end of the run. The horse tow is worth doing for the novelty if you haven’t done it but if you want to save time you can get a taxi from the car park before you get to the horse tow. I’ve mostly done the horse tow but last year caught a taxi which took us to San Cassiano which save quite a lot of time to allow you to get back to Canazei. It’s another option if you’re running short of time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’ve never been pulled around a ski area by horses, do it A really fun novelty that also happens to save your legs a little bit after that big lunch at Scotoni…. and you might want to get there early for that. The secrets out, they get real busy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CannyMan wrote:
Great, thanks everyone for tips. How far down the run is scotinis? Would you recommend going for the horse sledding bit?

Scotini is at the bottom of the Lagazuoi run and you're committed to the horse pull by then (3Euro pp cash BTW)
. Be mindfull of time, but don't panic about it. The day will become stressful otherwise.

Canazei-Lagazuoi-Canazei is comfortably doable in a day unless you have slow skiers in the group.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Would you recommend going for the horse sledding bit?

it beats walking 2 miles with skis... you can ride in the sleigh - usually priority to kids then dogs then boarders. (you can get a taxi from higher up, but you will likely have to wait until they fill one or buy out all the spaces)

and look at https://openskimap.org/#12.66/46.53337/11.97687

scotoni is at the zig-zag bit here - https://openskimap.org/#19.9/46.5528557/11.9978477

taxi back here - https://openskimap.org/#19.12/46.5596364/11.9819893
horse more like here https://openskimap.org/#18.57/46.5571178/11.9746794
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:

Canazei-Lagazuoi-Canazei is comfortably doable in a day unless you have slow skiers in the group.

Seems a shame not to put in at least one lap of Cinque Torri after making the effort to get over to Lagazuoi. But I guess it depends on the speed of the slowest skier in the group, and how many photo stops there will inevitably be snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easily do able, have done it from Pozza, bus to Canazei, and even managed to ski back to Pozza at the end of the day as well, with a lunch stop.

Last season we did it but ended the day in Canazei and a bus back to Pozza.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My preferred route to Hidden Valley, from Canazei/Arabba, is the same as @Red Leon - Crossing the road at Campolongo
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Seems a shame not to put in at least one lap of Cinque Torri after making the effort to get over to Lagazuoi. But I guess it depends on the speed of the slowest skier in the group, and how many photo stops there will inevitably be snowHead

I agree, but maybe on the second visit when more confident with routes and timing. We did Cortina last week for the first time and had slight nagging concerns re. getting back on the Skyline gondola in time. We then 'camped out' at the Lagazuoi Rifugio, so had no need to be concerned as it happens. wink
snow report
[quote="Mollerski"]
CannyMan wrote:

Scotini is at the bottom of the Lagazuoi run and you're committed to the horse pull by then (3Euro pp cash BTW)
. Be mindfull of time, but don't panic about it. The day will become stressful otherwise.

Am I reading this right, it’s €35 for the horse pull back, I’m hoping to do it in March, but I’ve never seen anything written about having to pay, if so is it cash only?
Tia
ski holidays
geoffknight wrote:

Am I reading this right, it’s €35 for the horse pull back,

No, you're not reading it right, it's €3 for the horse tow.

geoffknight wrote:

I’m hoping to do it in March, but I’ve never seen anything written about having to pay, if so is it cash only?
Tia

Yes I think it's cash only (I've never seen them use a card machine, I guess mobile data coverage out there might be tricky!) Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
geoffknight wrote:

Am I reading this right, it’s €35 for the horse pull back,

No, you're not reading it right, it's €3 for the horse tow.

geoffknight wrote:

I’m hoping to do it in March, but I’ve never seen anything written about having to pay, if so is it cash only?
Tia

Yes I think it's cash only (I've never seen them use a card machine, I guess mobile data coverage out there might be tricky!) Laughing

That would be some inflation...well, the cost of horse feed has gone up!! Laughing

You have to cross those horse traders palms with silver, that way the Guardia di Finanza will never find out just how profitable the enterprise is!! Laughing
snow report
Just to add my two penneth worth, you should have no problems with the round trip as intermediates.

As Red says, by far the shortest route is to turn right at Campolongo. Two lifts and a nice long cruising run down to Armentarola. Just keep to the right as it's easy to miss the turn if on the wrong side of a busy piste. (will add 40 minutes to go round again if you miss it)

The route up from Cavara is a bit convoluted and will take best part of an hour longer.
Just be sure you know your route over Alta Badia for the shortest return. Head for Biok and Pralongia2 to take you back via Campolongo.

There is sometimes a queue at the Lagazoi cable car. The hidden valley will take about 40 minutes (+ stops to take in the amazing views), and the horse tow waits until it's full, so can easily take 20+ minutes if you happen to time it wrong.
How big is your group? The Taxis prefer 6 passengers.

It's easy to miss on your first trip, but when you get to the frozen waterfall on your left (there will usually be crowds taking photos), just straight line as soon as you feel comfortable. It's a longish flat section at the end and a lot of poling if you don't have enough momentum.
If you think you'll have time to eat at Scotoni's, then best to book in advance.

If you feel confident of your time, the Cinqe Tori circuit will take about an hour for intermediates on their first trip.

Armentarola back to Arabba is easily done in 40 minutes to an hour. Add about 30 minutes to get back over Pordoi Pass.

Enjoy an amazing day out.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:

If you feel confident of your time, the Cinqe Tori circuit will take about an hour for intermediates on their first trip.

Do ya feel lucky, punk!?

http://youtube.com/v/A732Cuuo2tI
snow report
@Alastair Pink, thanks, must get my eye check up sorted Shocked
snow report
brianatab wrote:

The route up from Cavara is a bit convoluted and will take best part of an hour longer.

An hour? Puzzled

To be fair, we only ever stay in Selva and hence come at it from the Dantercepies-Colfosco-Corvara direction. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
brianatab wrote:

An hour? Puzzled

To be fair, we only ever stay in Selva and hence come at it from the Dantercepies-Colfosco-Corvara direction. Madeye-Smiley

It doubt it would be a full hour longer, but from Arabba/Canazei direction, it's definitely a lot quicker cutting out Corvara by taking the chair that crosses the road at Campolongo and heading up to Pralongia for the beautiful empty rollercoaster blue down to Armentarola (don't miss the turn and end up in S Cassiano though! wink )
snow report
@Mollerski, It might be less than an hour, but that's on the assumption you know the route and don't have to keep stopping to regroup.
Going anti clockwise, by the time you get over to Corvara, you can be halfway up the Maserei lift, with just 1 long cruising blue run down to the taxi rank.

It can take 10-15 minutes just for the short chair (where there is often a queue in the mornings) and to ski down to the Col Alto Gondola. Then a series of short runs with 3 lifts to get to the plateau.

If you take the Campolongo route, you can get from Arabba to Armentarola in 30-40 minutes, a bit longer for slower skiers or groups.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, from getting to Corvara on Borest, your route takes 4 more lifts, via Campolungo would be 3 and probably quicker. The gondola Boe is closer so less walking too. If you’re already at Campolungo it’s 4 lifts v 2.

On the blue, the turn off isn’t that far past the mountain hut (Sareghes) so just keep an eye out from there. You can’t miss it, the run is very flat going past it.
snow conditions
We did HV on Thursday this week. Got down to Armentola by about 09:30 from La Villa, and there was about a half an hour queue for the busses/taxis up to Lagazoi. Thankfully there was a guy there organising the queue, basically coraling people into groups the right size for the varied busses and mini-busses that turn up. You pay as you get off the bus up at the Cable car station - €7.

There was then a 20 minute queue to actually get on the Cable Car. Which then whisks you up to the top. I think we were up there by about 10:30. We then skied down to the Cinque Torre area, and did the Super8 stuff, plus a few Brucie Bonus runs. None of them very busy, and quite nice snow. Had a laugh when a woman on the chair in front of us failed to get off at the top. The liftie stopped the lift, and then attempted to "man-handle" her off. I don't speak Italian, but the exchange of words was quite lively.

Anyhow, got back to the Lagazoi at about 13:30, and there was a huge queue. Took us about an hour to get on the cable car. Then down the HV to the Horse tow. Another huge queue - perhaps 30 minutes. There were about 5 or 6 teams of horses. When they get back to the starting point the horse 'driver' lays out two ropes, each with about 30-50 knots on them. There is then a bun-fight to grab one of the knots. Once all the knots are taken, the driver walks along the ropes and collects €3 from each skiier. Then the driver sets off - sometime at quite a clip. Just watch out for horse poo - It's a lot less slippy than snow and you don't want to fall off on it!

The horse tow drops you off short of Armentola. You then pole along a bit and over the river to join the HUGE queue for the Armentola Drag. Took nearly and hour to get on this, and there was a lot of argey-bargey in the queue. Basically people were realising they weren't going to have time to get back to Arabba and Selva.

From the top of the Armentola drag you ski across to the San Cassanio Gondola, and guess what - another huge queue. Perhaps 30 minutes. From the top of this gondola we knew we could get back to La Villa, so we weren't too worried, We got back to La Villa at about 16:00 - 15 minutes to spare before the lifts across town shut. However I recon a lot of people will have been stranded in the wrong valleys.

The Cinqe Torre and HV are really nice, but the queues spoil the experience massively. Getting a taxi instead of the horse tow would skip the worst of the queues (the Armentola drag), but the horse tow is supposed to be one of the highlights.
latest report
Wow @Judwin, that is a lot of queues. Miserable.
snow report
The Hidden Valley is like the Marmalade you have to do them if you have not before.
Both are best done as early in the day as you can get there
Cinque Torre area is well worth doing in itself but if you don't do the hidden valley I think you have a taxi ride to get back onto the SR and your starting point.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok maybe I won’t do hidden valley in March..(staying in Selva)
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Ok maybe I won’t do hidden valley in March..(staying in Selva)

It does sound as if the Hidden Valley is not so hidden anymore!! Shocked

There's always been a bit of a wait at Lagazuoi and I have seen the San Cassiano bubble busy at New Year though it does move quickly, but never had to wait that long at Armentarola.

The queues weren't so bad earlier, so if @Judwin had not diverted onto the Cinque Torri circuit and gone straight down, it might have been less busy at the next bottlenecks.

Also might be a whole lot less busy in March, particularly if it's later in the month. We are hitting high season now.

But as I said before 'Do ya feel lucky, punk?' Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Yes, if you just want to do the HV, and skip the Cinque Torre, then perhaps it might be different and you could get ahead of the queues.

I've just checked our timings on the ski pass tracker thing.
lifttracker wrote:

# time lift vertical meters length (in meters) duration (mm:ss)
1. 08:44 Gardenazza 354 1215 04:03
2. 08:56 Colz Rit. -26 188 01:02
3. 09:01 Piz la Ila 647 1716 05:43
4. 09:17 La Fraina 211 743 04:57
5. 10:07 Lagazuoi 637 956 01:35
6. 10:35 Falzarego 118 449 02:59
7. 10:41 ColGallina 151 675 04:30
8. 10:52 Falzarego 118 449 02:59
9. 11:03 5 Torri 378 1273 04:14
10. 11:57 Averau 276 1107 07:22
11. 12:16 Fedare 420 1397 09:18
12. 12:35 Croda Negra 176 441 03:20
13. 12:48 Falzarego 118 449 02:59
14. 12:54 ColGallina 151 675 04:30
15. 13:30 Lagazuoi 637 956 01:35
16. 14:58 Armentarola 77 579 03:51
17. 15:09 Piz Sorega 455 1659 05:31
18. 15:38 La Rüa 32 201 02:30
19. 15:42 Colz 26 188 01:02
20. 15:46 Doninz 44 231 01:32
21. 15:52 Gardenazza 354 1215 04:03

So from getting on the last lift before Lagazuoi (ColGallina @ 12:54) to getting on the San Cassanio Gondola (Piz Sorega @ 15:09) is 2h15. We did not stop during that time, other than for a quick breather and to look at the view for a few seconds. True we ain't no Herman Maier, but we don't exactly hang about either.
snow report
Thanks for these, we will be heading first thing from Corvara when we give it a try toward the end of our week. Depending on how the week pans out it may be on the Saturday which I guess will be less crowded?
snow report
@endoman, Saturday is change over day for 'vistors', but also weekend for locals ( but should be quieter than rest of week)
ski holidays
I've noticed it busier if it's a fine day, esp after some days of poor weather. Not sure if that applies this time.

Of course, it's better to choose a clear day to appreciate the views
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy