Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Check your insurance small print regarding ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
We had a great trip on the bash with the other Snowheads. Unfortunately two people had their skis stolen while out on the mountain. Although I was not one of them I heard about the thefts and two issues were raised when we were discussing insurance covering these.

1 - Check your insurance covers you for hired ski equipment. Not just equipment owned.
2 - One of the groups took out insurance with the hire shop but the excess was 300 euro! Which is insane (are they able to confirm this?). So if you do hire with the shop, check the excess.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
turboblackbeard wrote:
We had a great trip on the bash with the other Snowheads. Unfortunately two people had their skis stolen while out on the mountain. Although I was not one of them I heard about the thefts and two issues were raised when we were discussing insurance covering these.

1 - Check your insurance covers you for hired ski equipment. Not just equipment owned.
2 - One of the groups took out insurance with the hire shop but the excess was 300 euro! Which is insane (are they able to confirm this?). So if you do hire with the shop, check the excess.

That's what your own travel insurance (incl winter sports) is there for - to cover that cost of lost hire equipment i.e. the €300 excess. Hire shop save on insurance premium cost by having a high excess, which they can recoup by selling you a few € per day insurance cover.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
t44tomo wrote:

That's what your own travel insurance (incl winter sports) is there for - to cover that cost of lost hire equipment i.e. the €300 excess. Hire shop save on insurance premium cost by having a high excess, which they can recoup by selling you a few € per day insurance cover.

See point 1 above. Travel insurance excluded theft of rental skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I checked my winter cover with the post office and it includes theft of rental ski's.

I just wanted to raise awareness with folks that this isn't always a given.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
turboblackbeard wrote:

I can confirm this - t'was I. My understanding of the other loss (from Chinese whispers admittedly) was that she did not take out the shop insurance, and was charged 1200Euros.

My personal policy has a limit of £500, but also has the following condition which I suspect will scupper any attempted claim...
smallprint wrote:

You are not covered for
h. loss or theft of ski equipment left unattended in a public place

Unattended is defined in the document as
smallprint wrote:

Unattended means out of your immediate control and supervision such that you are unable to prevent loss, theft or damage occurring.

So no mention of locks etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at the exclusions on my post office document it seems like they may be covered?

Exclusions
1. Claims for loss or theft not reported to the police, the carrier, or resort management.
2. Items stolen from an unattended vehicle unless they were kept in a locked glove compartment, roof box, rear boot or luggage and is covered so as not to be visible from the outside of the vehicle and there are signs of forced entry.
3. Loss, damage, or delay caused by confiscation or detention by Customs or other officials or
authorities.
4. Anything listed under the Winter Sports Exclusions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smallprint wrote:

Unattended means out of your immediate control and supervision such that you are unable to prevent loss, theft or damage occurring.

That is ridiculous. Why offer theft protection if you have this small print. In what scenario would they cover a theft?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My own insurance has different limits for hired and owned equipment. I do remember that the hire shop in Tignes had lists of the max liability for different levels of skis depending on whether you did or didn't take out the separate insurance. The figures without their insurance were well above my private cover levels.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Judwin wrote:
turboblackbeard wrote:

I can confirm this - t'was I. My understanding of the other loss (from Chinese whispers admittedly) was that she did not take out the shop insurance, and was charged 1200Euros.

Not quite - they had hired premium skis from Mountain Story, and Mountain Story do not offer insurance on premium skis (presumably because they get nicked so often rolling eyes). I also hired premium skis from Mountain Story, and they did not make this clear when collecting skis. I actually came away with the impression that insurance was automatically included on premium skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is all a miserable racket, isn't it? One time we did get (insured) rental skis nicked they were very small,very tatty, kids skis worth only a few bob. We paid nothing (having paid the shop insurance on the pack of stuff we rented) but it was a real pain having to report it to the resort police who were present in one rather obscure building at rather obscure hours. The guy who painstakingly input all the data looked like he would be more at home harnessing a team of huskies and had never seen a keyboard before. Poking at it with one finger.

The skis had almost certainly been taken in error.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Theft of unattended items is a normal exclusion in most general insurance policies, as its not reasonable to leave things around in a public place and expect them to never to get stolen.

This is at odds with the reasonable and usual custom of leaving your skis in a ski rack at lunchtime on the mountain. If the condition in the policy is to take reasonable care of such, then that is probably deemed reasonable behaviour. Is out of sight unattended? You don't really know until you put in a claim and I'm sure response varies from insurer to insurer.

Whilst the odd "took the wrong skis" has always happened, I suspect from anecdotes, deliberate theft, particularly of high value skis / boards, is on the rise.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is an interesting one that I had never thought of before, just assumed my hired skis would be covered but our policy is clear it only covers our equipment and not if left unattended.

An interesting one as some ski hire shops (or at least the ones I have been to) don't offer insurance. Might need to invest in a lock.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I checked my insurance and it covers them up to £500 as long as they are locked to a ski rack with no mention of needing a police report although I would try to get one- going to invest in a cheap lock and split the pairs as I suspect accidental taking is far more likely than theft for the nakky skus I tend to get
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifty years ago probably nobody would have locked their bicycle. Eighty years ago definitely. These days bikes are locked up with armoured locks.

Don’t expect your own insurance to cover the excess whilst the insurance from the ski shop pays the rest. You’ve double insurance and it can get complicated.

It’s a complete racket. Ski shops buy their skis for 50-60% of retail. They’re nicked. Suddenly the shop has sold a set of skis. Often that have done weeks or years of service.

Does anybody know anything about French law? I can’t imagine that an English court would award anything more than wholesale price, reduced for wear and tear.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
t44tomo wrote:

Whilst the odd "took the wrong skis" has always happened, I suspect from anecdotes, deliberate theft, particularly of high value skis / boards, is on the rise.

One of the stolen pairs were split with mine and put in racks several meters apart. In fact: one pair I had lifted over to lean on wall behind another pair.

That most certainly ain’t accidental.

At least we know delaminated Kneissl Deathstars are low risk.
snow report
t44tomo wrote:

The policeman in Ischgl told me top quality hire skis were stolen to order and sold on to unscrupulous hire shops in smaller ski areas. And Idalp restaurant at Ischgl is the perfect place to steal from because so many people download on the gondola from there.
latest report
turboblackbeard wrote:

Do they just pocket the money from the insurance they sell? 25-30 euro + 300 euro excess….
latest report
t44tomo wrote:

The policeman in Ischgl told me top quality hire skis were stolen to order and sold on to unscrupulous hire shops in smaller ski areas. And Idalp restaurant at Ischgl is the perfect place to steal from because so many people download on the gondola from there.
ski holidays
Morzine used to be particularly bad for it, whole ski racks loaded into the back of a van and offski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy