Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes glacier run

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a mature snowhead with a memory of Tignes past.

Many years ago when I started skiing my first proper experience was Tignes in 2003. I'm sure I remember skiing blues on the glacier that were easy. We went back last year and did the main long blue Genepy down from the funicular but I remember there being more.

Investigating this I've found old piste maps showing there were blue runs higher up running off Grande Motte lift back in 2003 which makes sense to my memory. The whole thing has clearly been restructured and what pistes are left are red or black.

Does anyone know if they reprofiled the pistes (especially 'Glacier') when they restructured up there, or were they reclassified as they were? Trying to work out if they're suitable for my intermediate level 12yo. It was too windy and snowy to explore the glacier last year when we were there. We're due to revisit shortly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The glacier has shrunk considerably (global warming init), so in consequence the ‘authorities’ have had to make the best of what is left, which is generally steeper. For example the Leisse run (which as I recall) was always black, now either has to wait for a very considerable snow fall or is left running via a very narrow passage between two very big rocks - it may not open again. We rarely go up there these days. You do see young people up there, but I would not have thought it would be much fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I realise the glacier has inevitably shrunk (though the map doesn't represent it). I hadn't considered that may make it steeper. I agree about lack of incentive to go up that final lift with not a lot there. Turned down the option when we were there last year as the wait didn't seem worth it having to get back for ski school pick up. Probably wise.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used to go down a little cut through to the side of the cable car (in between cable car on your right and Leisse on your left) which went around to the right and brought you down on to the red. Last year we had to take our skis off and walk up and this year it’s closed all together.

It is sobering to see how it’s changed.

Are the race lanes still in use in the off season?

Also, does anyone know the length of Genepy from the top of GM all the way down to VC?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynnecha wrote:
Are the race lanes still in use in the off season?

Not last year. The Rosolin and Champagny t-bars have been removed and there was a big crevasse the full width of the 3500 race lanes.

The resort has been preserving snow on the top part of Double-M to use for French national and regional team training in the autumn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, thanks for that. I was really confused about the Rosilin - that clears it up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went up last year for old times sakes, take a few photos etc.

I first went up maybe 22/23 years ago, and hadnt been up for about 10 years.

Without being too disrespectful to the ski down from the top, its barely worth the wait, might as well set off from the top of the Funi.

Shame really.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, @lynnecha, This preaseason in Tignes (from about 19/11) 3500 wasn't accessible, but gates could be placed from about 28/11 on 1 of the 2 slopes closer to the cable car. The rotation was on the cable car + Vanoise, because as you say the Rosolin and Champagny t bars are no longer, so it took quite some time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can imagine how long winded that would be. It’s changing before our eyes- that’s for sure.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I'll give you this from 1989, although the piste map in the background has faded (click for bigger image):

That trip... I was there for a couple of weeks and the only decent snow cover in the whole place in week #2 was way up there, so I sessioned the top lift on skiers' right for what week. There was a moderate red friendly bump field along side the lift. You can just about see on the lift pass map there. That lift was busy because of the poor snow. The lower lift - "Leisse" also had bumps which were steeper towards the lift bottom. The main glacier run was just pisted to be one single run, which was a massively wide and easy motorway. I'm sure it wasn't marked black as it wasn't remotely technical.. and it was the only way down. The zipline bumps were below the bottom cable-car station from what I recall, under the chair lift there. That week you could pick your way down to the village, but it was patchy and crowded.

The Tignes glacier at that time was better than many as it at least had some bumps on it. The main face run was fine for a bit of speed and large radius carving, but that was about it. These days I tend to end up in Sölden for glaciers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I never knew Peter Gabriel was a skiing fan Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
We rarely go up there these days. You do see young people up there, but I would not have thought it would be much fun.
Ehhhh?? Shocked I have to say, the glacier was very enjoyable in December and January. Very quiet, with no cable car queues. And perfect snow too.
I'm really not sure what there could be to dislike Puzzled And following on from that, I'm rather bemused by the following:
Quote:
Without being too disrespectful to the ski down from the top, its barely worth the wait, might as well set off from the top of the Funi.
From the top, after taking in the fantastic view, choose between a lovely, wide, fast, red run, or a steep black run...I wonder what sort of runs the above poster does actually like?

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ski lots a lot has changed over the yrs ,grading of pistes, one or two new ones ,removal of lifts and new lifts . Liesse was a red mogul field when I first went to tignes March 1987. Early 2000s I recall it being usually pisted in later yrs generally left unpisted . Note the double drag lifts at the bottom of blue run genepy taking you into Val sector .
Also there was a run called red cocaine it us now unpisted black silene. . https://skimap.org/skiAreas/view/790

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-01-23 22:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, I was on a course on the glacier in September 93 most of the week we had powder all the way down to the Vanoise lift (before it was moved). I skied on the glacier (just to prove I could following surgery) in August 7 years ago and it was literally a frozen river, with just a little slush on top.

“The Wall” at the end of the glacier used to look like a mini frozen Niagra Falls. Now it is just a rock field. You also used to be able to ski across the glacier and with a little side stepping follow a route that brings you out to the Gd. Balme. It now looks you need climbing skills/gear to do that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1991 I skied the Tour De Pramecou across the glacier, bit of walking / ski carrying, then down around the other side. We skied the whole thing from the top of the cable car off piste ( guided). Then probably about 10 years later skied up there in August on the way back from a summer holiday in Frejus. Great fun and a good morning skiing with my 2 eldest.
Also have done the ice caves years ago up there.
It's certainly changed.....
snow report
Ski lots wrote:
... “The Wall” at the end of the glacier used to look like a mini frozen Niagra Falls. Now it is just a rock field. ..
Oh, that's gone has it. Yes, it was a big convex slope and fairly steep from what I recall.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy