Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annoying Lift Queues In Plagne Centre

Poster: A snowHead
I'm staying here now. Supposedly a quiet week (no school hols anywhere as far as I am aware). And bloody hell the queues are annoying. God only knows what it's like in Feb school hols. The only lift that has a small queue all day is the Colorado, but it doesn't take you out of the area.

Just so I can actually ski first thing in the morning, rather than queue, I've been going over towards Montalbert. But after a couple of days of this I've had enought and I'd like to go and have a ski around Montchavin. This appears to mean using either the Bergerie (which never seems to have less than 100 people waiting at it, morning or afternoon), or the Funiplagne, which gets much quieter after lunch, but by that time it's a bit late to go and properly enjoy Montchavin!

Anyway, the point of this wasn't to moan (although I feel a little better for doing it) but to ask any experienced visitors to the area if they know a way to get the hell out of there without having to queue?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergerie has a capacity of 3600/hr, so 100 people is 1/36th of an hour, call it 2 mins.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe it's more than 100 people then, but whenever I go near it the queue is *deep*.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not school holidays but the quiet january weeks are over and occupancy is relatively high, as you say.
Just because I'm curious, around what time do you start skiing?
To go to Montchavin / Les Coches:
A) Bergerie, Arpette (popular / evident option)
B) Funiplagne or Lovatiere, to head over to the Champagny side, taking multiple chairlifts Borseliers, Rossa, Carella, to go to Roche de Mio, down to Inversens, skiing further down to Bauches on the Montchavin side
C) Bergerie, draglift Col de Forcle, heading to Champagny side via blue Geisha, + same chairlifts as option B to head up to Roche de Mio and down direction of Bauches
D) From Roche de Mio, enjoying a trip to the glacier, heading down from the glacier in the direction of Montchavin via black Derochoir
I'm in La Plagne, I know it quite well but I don't regularly make big trips at the moment. You will probably have thought of all or some of these already, I hope you enjoy the wonderful week of sunshine Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hobbiteater, @greengriff, https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/stations-de-ski-a-la-plagne-les-telesieges-vont-etre-ralentis-pour-economiser-de-l-electricite-2609440.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
It's not school holidays but the quiet january weeks are over and occupancy is relatively high, as you say.
To go to Montchavin / Les Coches:
A) Bergerie, Arpette (popular / evident option)
B) Funiplagne or Lovatiere, to head over to the Champagny side, taking multiple chairlifts Borseliers, Rossa, Carella, to go to Roche de Mio, down to Inversens, skiing further down to Bauches on the Montchavin side
C) Bergerie, draglift Col de Forcle, heading to Champagny side via blue Geisha, + same chairlifts as option B to head up to Roche de Mio and down direction of Bauches
D) From Roche de Mio, enjoying a trip to the glacier, heading down from the glacier in the direction of Montchavin via black Derochoir
I'm in La Plagne, I know it quite well but I don't regularly make big trips at the moment. You will probably have thought of all or some of these already, I hope you enjoy the wonderful week of sunshine Smile

You are a superstar! Thank you. At leasr I have some options now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
@hobbiteater, @greengriff, https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/stations-de-ski-a-la-plagne-les-telesieges-vont-etre-ralentis-pour-economiser-de-l-electricite-2609440.html

Very interesting, thank you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:

As early as possible. Although with a teenage daughter in tow who seems to take an awfully long time to get ready, it's working out to be about 9.30 each morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JulieAimeLeSki, ouch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it only LP that are running their lifts slow?

Or are all French resorts obliged to?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@greengriff, 09.30 just as the ski schools have sorted themselves and set off to the lifts! Best relax foe another half hour and the ski schools will have gone up... Or get to the lifts for 09:00 - best leave it until 10 then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@greengriff, That's too kind, thank you. It's just itinirary ideas, but as I wrote, most days I stay quite near Belle Plagne/ Bellecote for training and work purposes so some ultra experienced and knowledgeable people will surely be around soon with more ideas. Hope you'll have a wonderful day/week.
Taking the first lift at 9 would mean the least queues, but obviously it's a holiday and a balance Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, I love your questions.

I don't have ( full ) answers.

As I understand it, there is somewhere a French government energy saving plan, also including skiing areas as actors that have to reduce their consumption in some ways. And the price of energy is clearly not encourageing for economic/financial health of skiing areas.

It's not just LP. Others have taken the same measure or measures with a similar goal in mind. The same lowering of speed has appeared in the news expressly at least for Pelvoux Vallouise, Superdevoluy, Font Romeu, Saint Lary and Chamonix. One article mentions it as a measure taken by all members of Domaines Skiables de France.

''Les membres de Domaines Skiables de France ont aussi décidé de diminuer la vitesse des télésièges tout au long de la saison. Ce ralentissement sera à peine perceptible par les usagers, rassure le président de l’association, Alexandre Maulin''

https://energie.meilleurtaux.com/electricite/actualites/2022-decembre/prix-eleves-energie-mettent-stations-skibrouillard.html

https://www.radiofrance.fr/franceinter/les-stations-de-ski-s-organisent-pour-lutter-contre-la-hausse-des-prix-de-l-electricite-7520724

https://www.20minutes.fr/planete/4011515-20221126-pyrenees-vitesse-remontees-damage-stations-ski-passent-mode-economies-energie

https://www.tameteo.com/actualites/actualite/sobriete-energetique-ce-qui-va-changer-dans-les-stations-de-ski-cet-hiver-montagne-electricite-alpes-pyrenees-remontees-mecaniques-vacances-neige-hotels.html

https://www.europe1.fr/societe/crise-energetique-ces-stations-de-ski-vont-reduire-leurs-services-4145555

https://www.revolution-energetique.com/faut-il-reserver-un-reacteur-nucleaire-pour-alimenter-les-stations-de-ski/

Once the queue hits a certain point, the speed is adapted and goes to maximum speed again. So in February holidays, queues shouldn't be longer than usual, as I understand..

@red 27,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think some slowing makes sense.... perhaps we should all attempt some "mindfulness" on chair lifts. wink the perfect opportunity for a spot of meditation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JulieAimeLeSki, Thnaks, very helpful snowHead
snow report
I know that the now ironically named "Alpin Express" lifts in Saas-Fee have been run artificially slowly for years to save energy, and is now known as the Alpin Snail.

I found this lift website, which appears to list lift capacity worldwide:

https://www.seilbahntechnik.net/en/lifts/continent/europe.htm
ski holidays
We skied there last week and even the really ‘busy’ queues took less than 10 mins. 9:30 is the worst time to be setting off. Better 9:00 or 10:00.

We found 10 and skied through lunch.

Also last week it was still busy on runs after 4:30pm. Normally we are nearly last off the slopes and we found queues even late in the day.

But no queue lasted more than 10 mins. Bar Transaarc at Les Arcs
latest report
Quote:

We found 10 and skied through lunch

Skiing through lunch makes a lot of sense. Starting at 9 then having a snack at "elevenses" time is a sensible formula. I personally don't expect more than the very occasional 10 minute queue in January!
latest report
@greengriff, As a wild idea, how about getting Telebus to Plan Villages then the Aiollets drag lift from there, that will get you to Bellecote at least.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I think some slowing makes sense.... perhaps we should all attempt some "mindfulness" on chair lifts. wink the perfect opportunity for a spot of meditation.

"Hommmmmmm... my bleedin' thumbs have frozen, hommmmmm". Very Happy
latest report
Tbh we were staying in Belle Plagne so our busy lifts were in Bellecote and we also spent most time at the edges of the resort. Montalbert was lovely, so was Les Coches and montchavin. But our fave in the week was over the back in Champagny. If it’s sunny it’s stunning. I have skied for 30+ years and I just loved the runs there, looking down the valley as you come down. Very Happy
latest report
You might sometimes have queues in Plagne Bellecote, most of the time late afternoon during french vacations when everybody wants to return to Plagne Centre, Aime 2000 and Plagne 1800. Two tricks : return to Plagne centre via Levasset on Champany side (then take Verdons Sud chairlift). Second trick if you are in a hurry: take the shuttle bus in Plagne Bellecote (2 min drive from Plagne Bellecote to Plagne 1800 ; 4 minute drive from Plagne bellecote to Plagne Centre). Shuttle come every 10 minutes. Much quicker on those days. www.chalet-dakota-laplagne.com
ski holidays
Agree with Lucywuk. Some lift queues can look ominous, but we've never waited longer than 10 minutes, often less.
Even Bergerie or Grand Rochette Funiplagne not really so bad. And at Plagne Centre, Becoin or Lavatère are usually only 5 minutes.
Treat the lift queues as a fun exercise/competition.
We go in for "Advanced Queuing". See who can get to the chair first. Always go round the outside. Keep clear of boarders. Slide through any gaps. You'll find time whizzes by.

"Shuttle bus" goes every 15 minutes, and is actually circular route rather than shuttle.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Is it only LP that are running their lifts slow?

Or are all French resorts obliged to?
Les Arcs as well, plus they'd close the ones that merely add capacity (Plagnettes was closed Saturday because you could queue at Arcabulle instead... then they re-opened on Sunday).

I think Les Gets does it too, but I'd expect things to adapt to capacity as well, i.e. from next week (first wave of hols) they'll have to get back to normal else the queues will be unmanageable.
ski holidays
@greengriff, Bergerie and Grand Rochette are certainly busy lifts but as others have said can look worse than they really are.

And they are busy for a reason. Rochette has a singles line which can help.

But it's just one lift. Arpette should be OK and then you over.

Bergerie is one lift where I would really love them to enforce the filling of the chairs. But I can't see the French ever doing it - just seems to be against their mindset/principles.
snow report
@Jonpim, Advanced queuing - love it. Attack the space is what my son always says.
snow report
...and of course Paradiski lets you pay not to have to queue with the plebs.
ski holidays
I chivvied my daughter along today and got out a bit earlier. Bergerie wasn't so bad first thing (I was out of the area so didn't see it later on), but Arpette was busy whenever we ended up back in Bellecote. Away from these villages there was no noticeable queuing. Maybe it's just something about the layout of La Plagne that causes these couple of bottlenecks? I've skied this same week many times at Les Arcs and never had a problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patrick! wrote:
...and of course Paradiski lets you pay not to have to queue with the plebs.

I've not noticed that option in La Plagne, only in Les Arcs/Peisey. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.
snow report
@greengriff, Theres no option in La Plagne - only on Les Arcs, presumably the queues in Les Arcs are longer
latest report
@greengriff, you've never experienced queues at Arcabulle, Derby or Varet in Les Arcs?
latest report
A couple of strategically positioned lifts would solve a lot of La Plagne's issues, especially the Bellcote bottleneck.
Personally I think it has the worst designed lift system in the Tarantaise. It's also bleedin flat (guess that why low intermediates adore it!!!) Laughing
latest report
It feels like a deliberate strategy to strand a large number of skiers in queues, to make the pistes slightly less busy.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@greengriff, you've never experienced queues at Arcabulle, Derby or Varet in Les Arcs?

Yes, but not as big. It's also really important to say that you don't *need* to go on those lifts to escape the area you're in and find somewhere quieter to ski. Take the Derby for example - if there's a queue there you can ignore the lift completely and ski to either 1800 or Peisey.
ski holidays
JDL65 wrote:
A couple of strategically positioned lifts would solve a lot of La Plagne's issues, especially the Bellcote bottleneck.
Personally I think it has the worst designed lift system in the Tarantaise. It's also bleedin flat (guess that why low intermediates adore it!!!) Laughing

Is it a design flaw, or a natural constraint placed by the terrain?
latest report
Interesting subject...

Local experts may have more facts, but as a regular visitor for the last 10 years I can't think of too many lift system improvements on the LP side.

8-banger Arpette upgrade was very welcome... What else?

Perhaps they're still paying off their 1/2 of the cost of the V-Express
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Interesting subject...

Local experts may have more facts, but as a regular visitor for the last 10 years I can't think of too many lift system improvements on the LP side.

8-banger Arpette upgrade was very welcome... What else?

Perhaps they're still paying off their 1/2 of the cost of the V-Express

There was a sign up saying they're spending 26 million Euro at the end of the year on replacing the Bellecote cable car up to the glacier. That thing predates Noah's Ark, but I find it rather charming! I'm sure the replacement will be better, but nowhere near as quirky.
snow report
@red 27, My gripe with CdA / SaP etc is that there are new new pistes constructed since Derochoir several years ago. Lots of new build apartments but the same number of pistes. Their licence to extend into the area above the Etroits piste was 'handed' back in several years ago. Obviously the sector by the National Park is a no no.

But there are lots of lift replacements with bigger faster models. The Lovatierre lift last year was a completely new route replacing 2 previous lifts.
The lifts to the Glacier will be replaced starting this Spring - which is costing a lot of money. The Funi Plagne had a complete re-furb this year. There are several lifts coming up to their 30th year which means expensive re-certification or replacement - it will be interesting to see if they are replaced as is or new routes / pistes introduced. CdA have relatively few years left on their contract. Interesting times ahead.
Covid and the lack of 'Les Anglais' last year hit them hard.
snow report
@boredsurfin, Thanks - I was hoping you'd respond with your local knowledge.

I haven't been since 2019 so am a bit behind the curve
snow report
@red 27, In short you will see new lifts, new apartment blocks and hotels, but no new pistes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy