Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel lift won't stick to base of boot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New boots this year, and after a couple of days skiing with them I still felt a little bit "in the back seat". The fitter and I had discussed lifts during fitting; he felt my ankle flexion was ok but that the new footbeds, being thinner overall and less bulky around the heel than previous, might give more a of "weight back" feel. His suggestion was to try for a couple of days, and if still not quite right, to try a 6mm lift.

Roll forward a couple of days, and both the fitter and I are scratching our heads as we cannot get the lifts to stick to the inside base of the boot. Salomon S Pro Alpha 110 seems to have a PTFE inner sole, completely refusing to let anything stick to it. We tried heating it a little, heating the adhesive pads, wiping with solvent in case it was a moulding release, nothing.

Because we're looking at trying the lifts to see if it resolves the issue we're not at the "get the hot glue gun out" stage yet.

Anyone else had this problem? And ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sand paper (lightly) the surface of the base plate to create an interference for the adhesive to adhere to.

If the lifts don't stick to the base plate why not stick them to the foot bed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a second best, I could pop them under the footbed, but that may push my oddly oversized inner ankle on my left foot up a little too far in the liner, so we'd need to look at remoulding. I'll give that a go for a day or two before I get the sandpaper out. Good shout Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tape it to the inner boot?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Sidas 6mm heel lifts are designed to be stuck inside the liner, underneath the insole.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 23-01-23 20:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to know. The fitter was keen not to mess with the initial liner moulding by putting more volume in the base of the foot *inside* the liner, but at 6mm he was "it should be ok, but try it and we'll look at other ideas if it's not working for you".

I'll give it a go tomorrow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you tried double-sided carpet tape? It sticks my alignment strips to the plate in the bottom of my Nordica boots, the "plate" is a lump of carbon fibre coated in something fairly slippery.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3M VHB isn't sticking, which is a first as I use that for pretty much anything from sticking gopros to, well, everything really, to mounting strobes on windscreens and all points in between.

The based of the boot feels (and looks like) ptfe, which is notoriously difficult to stick things to.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NoDosh, the baseboard has a silicon mold release on it, remove the base board, sand the surface and glue the heel lift in with contact cement
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NoDosh, Lifting heels will not necessarily fix back seat issue and may cause you to stick your butt out further to compensate. Try lifting the toes which will generate forward flex at the ankles. Sounds counter-intuitive but works for some.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:
@NoDosh, Lifting heels will not necessarily fix back seat issue and may cause you to stick your butt out further to compensate. Try lifting the toes which will generate forward flex at the ankles. Sounds counter-intuitive but works for some.

Worked for me, 20-odd years back, but not just by "lifting the toes", which can be done independently with little effect on the ankle flex, and which I'd tried with several instructors before getting to the real issue.

Instead you need to lift the whole front part of the foot, easily practiced when not wearing ski boots, not standing, and identify the muscle running up the shin (the Tibilaris Anterior, apparently) to the knee. Once you've found it, tense it up as much as you can and remember what that feels like, then when you're back on skis do the same thing, which should result in holding the shin firmly against the front of the boot. Then you need to keep that muscle tensed up all the time while you're skiing.

Weight too far backwards is so common it's almost a joke - if someone's talking to my wife and myself, or indeed other instructors, and describing a problem they're having it's very common for us to look at each other and nod in agreement without needing words - but many people try to address it be leaning forward, effectively trying to push their shins forward by using the body weight, which works only until they hit a bump that throws them back again, whereas this explanation can help them to understand that they need to _pull_ the shins forward which will then allow the body position to improve, rather than thinking that the body position is itself the problem.

(BTW I'm not commenting on the use of heel lifts, or whether they can help with this or any other issue. I really don't know anything about what they're good for, or not).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chaletbeauroc, yes you are correct and I did mean the front part of the foot. I often find myself focussing to “lifting my toes” if i am having a backseat moment during a run in order to bring me forward.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Knee flex test - Stand next to a closed door and flex one knee forward. Keep moving your foot back to the point you can still just touch the door with your knee without the heel lifting. Your foot should be at least 4” away from the door.

Now try with the other knee. It is likely that one side is more flexible than the other.

This should highlight any problem with ankle flexion….and it’s always worth doing flexibility stretches and using a roller on the calves.

As for keeping in balance - I like to pull my feet back (or push them forward, like when hitting the back of a bump) to keep shin pressure. This is much quicker/easier/more effective than moving your upper body about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy