Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing a single ski bag? Simple answer please.

Poster: A snowHead
Single pair of skis in a cheap ski bag.
How to pack.

1) Base to base or bindings together?
2) Bindings open or closed?

Base to base the bindings take all the bumps.
Bindings together the edges are vulnerable.

Last year with the bases together I could barely colse the bag without putting poles in,
there was a big bulge at the bindings.
I ended up taking the bindings off and putting them in boxs separately in the bag.

I see this question asked before but not a clear answer.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-01-23 18:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simple solution seems to be to take the bindings off, strap the skis together base-to-base (with ski straps, so a pad prevents the bases from grinding together), then pack the bindings anywhere they fit. This is what I do most of the time. If I can be bothered, I'll wrap the bindings in a bit of bubble wrap. Oh, and I like to tie up the brakes with some twine only because that makes the bindings easier to pack.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've carried skis base to base in a single ski bag for 30+ years without taking the bindings off, without any problems. If you look after your skis & the bases are clean, it won't matter at all if they rub against each other. If the heel bindings do easily slide off, then do so if it helps.
Unless it is one of the hard, plastic ski tubes, never pack skis binding to binding, the edges aren't vulnerable, they will get a lot more hammer on the slopes but they will cut your bag to pieces.
A piece of heavy cloth, denim or old inner tube to cover the ends of the skis will help to protect the bag from the skis cutting in.

I normally travel with a carry on with my boots in and a ski bag with clothing etc split between the two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've carried skis base to base in a single ski bag for 30+ years without taking the bindings off, without any problems. If you look after your skis & the bases are clean, it won't matter at all if they rub against each other. If the heel bindings do easily slide off, then do so if it helps.
Unless it is one of the hard, plastic ski tubes, never pack skis binding to binding, the edges aren't vulnerable, they will get a lot more hammer on the slopes but they will cut your bag to pieces.
A piece of heavy cloth, denim or old inner tube to cover the ends of the skis will help to protect the bag from the skis cutting in.

I normally travel with a carry on with my boots in and a ski bag with clothing etc split between the two.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bubble wrap
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a better ski bag that fits your skis rolling eyes

If your skis with binding on, with the skis bases to base, don’t fit in your ski bag, you have the wrong bag.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just taking a single pair of skis on hol with you? Does not compute.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the bag is long enough, can you have them overlapping so that the bindings are not exactly opposite each other? Most ski bags are far longer than most skis, these days. Pack them round with neckers and knickers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Just taking a single pair of skis on hol with you? Does not compute.

I only need 1 pair for transfer day. (Alleghe to Arabba) Anymore can be hired.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
If the bag is long enough, can you have them overlapping so that the bindings are not exactly opposite each other?

Thats a good idea, Thanks!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just put mine back to back with the brakes interlinked like when you carry them, with a velcro strap around the tips and tails.

If I'm flying I give them a spot of extra padding around the tips, tails and bindings.

They're really very robust things.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Normal binding screws aren’t designed to be removed / refitted regularly. You should also put a dab of glue on the threads when fitting them to ensure a watertight seal as you really don’t want moisture in there expanding and contracting when it freezes / thaws.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are two ways bindings are fitted where you can take them on and off as you please:
1. Quiver Killer inserts (metal screw thread)
2. On a rail

If you don't have either of these, then leave your bindings where they are! Otherwise, 1. simply unscrew them and don't forget your screwdriver or 2. mark the position with a marker pen on the rail and slide them off. Wrap in an old tea towel and arrange in the bag however they fit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
There are two ways bindings are fitted where you can take them on and off as you please:
2. On a rail

Mine are on a rail and come off really easily. Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get a Sportube. Obvious answer as also good for your fishing rods. I have watched ski bags literally thrown from aircraft to ground, I am not precious but race skis are expensive and I'm no asking it.
latest report
Thanks for the advice everybody. Very helpful! I've changed to a coffin bag now.
snow conditions
Base to base, flip one so that you have tip to tail. That way the bindings are staggered and don't form a such a wide bag jam. Madeye-Smiley

It's a pretty useless bag if you have to start removing bindings. rolling eyes

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 27-01-23 11:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Fistral wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
2. On a rail

Mine are on a rail and come off really easily. Little Angel

Make sure the adjustment indicator is in the middle of the range when you put them back on.
snow report
Impressed you found a ski bag that can't fit one pair if skis! I would be reluctant to frequently remove my bindings from my ski as its not something I would want to get wrong. In terms of protecting the bases always base to base with two ski straps (the type that have a bit of material between the skis so bases don't actually touch / rub as they are launched across the airport) at either end. I would be getting another bag in your scenario especially if first one was cheap.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy