Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protector Knee binding Head / Tyrolia a game-changer in preventing knee injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from the SGIB ski show, and apart from testing skis I came across the Head / Tyrolia Protector Knee binding.

Now I know that there were some videos posted on this back in November after doing a quick search and another mention of it in the off-piste section, but I'm not too sure it's had the interest on here that I think it merits, especially having seen it and played with it and asked a lot of questions.

For the many SnowHeads on here who are back skiing after an ACL or other knee injury or for those thinking about making their first tentative steps back onto the hill then it's not too bad investment in comparison to a Donjoy type brace.

As I said in the feature I wrote....

Basically, in layman speak, as soon as you twist your heel as you would when falling the rear binding plate moves sideways either left or right with some movement so as not to totally release early, however, if the force is too great, then the rear binding unit will swivel ad additional 30 degrees releasing the boot.

More here

https://stylealtitude.com/head-tyrolia-knee-protector-binding.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, I have had these for the 7 years on my skis

http://www.kneebinding.com/KB-HomePage.aspx

I know I have triggered the lateral heel release and haven't further damaged either of my knees (while skiing) since.

They are noticeably heavier than a lot of other bindings. Do you know how those you link compare?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:
...They are noticeably heavier than a lot of other bindings. Do you know how those you link compare?...

Good point about the weight!

As there was no noticeable difference in weight between a normal ski & binding and the Protector from simply picking up the skis, don't think Head Tyrolia would produce something if there was a dramatic weight difference.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, good to know. Given mine are now approaching their 8th year of ise, my mind has been wondering what the expected life etc is of bindings. My daughter and husband both really notice how much extra mine weigh over their skis as a result.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, I'll see if I can find out exactly about the weight for you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
100-200g heavier per binding compared like for like, not much of a penalty for the increase in safety........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at Knee bindings, they weigh a little less than the Tyrolia, so not over heavy either
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
Looking at Knee bindings, they weigh a little less than the Tyrolia, so not over heavy either

Wonder if they have updated to reduce weight since I bought them
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX wrote:
100-200g heavier per binding compared like for like, not much of a penalty for the increase in safety........

Yep penalty I am quite prepared to pay. However if I could have it with lower weight - would be even better
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
More tech=more weight!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy