Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a first set of skis, but it's a bit of a minefield. I'm 22, 186cm & just over 75kg, intermediate, comfortable on reds+blacks and trying to improve carving, looking to ski more off piste, have messed around a bit off piste but nothing serious. Skis would mainly be used in Scotland and also hopefully abroad once a year. Not sure what length or width to go for, skied rental Volkl deacon 74s in 170 in Andorra earlier this season which felt fairly nice, don't know whether anything shorter would be a bad idea or not (been offered some Blizzards in 166 by a friend, unsure of model but pretty sure these would be too short) Would like to have for this season as planning to do a decent number of days snow permitting and don't fancy the hire queues and have had problems with my grip walk boots not being compatible with hire bindings. Are there likely to be sales at beginning of Feb? Glisshop seem to have some decent deals atm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What percentage of your time do you see yourself going Off Piste?

Are you talking about messing about between pistes; or getting a guide and getting all the gear?

Do you like a damp, hard charging ski, or a more playful, forgiving ski?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably around 50/50 but just messing around between pistes so nothing crazy. I do enjoy carving and going fast but would also like something fairly forgiving
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think your length for AM use is around 175.

If you want a good AM carving ski, for messing about between Pistes, maybe consider the Rossignol Experience 86. Go for the Ti version for more stability, or the Basalt version for easier and more playful.

Another ski might be the Scott Pure Free 90Ti. I think this would be a fun ski, probably similar to the E86 Ti, but easier to handle Off Piste due to the extra width - but slower edge to edge.

Ideally, try before you buy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 54, 71kg, 178 cm currently have 22 year old Head skis (see slideshow in my signature). Looking for similar AM ski. Saw a lot of people with Black Crows AM skis in Glencoe, wondered if there is much difference between make of ski and type of ski?

Maybe I should head to Decathalon, and get the cheapest AM ski?

I would probably like Marker bindings again, but do you just get what you are given or should you choose bindings separately?

Mirus Cor All Mountain Skis look like what I might choose, with a 13m radius is much more in line with what I would like. However, with a price of £645 before adding bindings and VAT I would want to consider some other options first.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-01-23 19:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bigtipper, which Black Crows ski? I have the Black Crows Camox Freebird for touring. Fantastic for that purpose (light and fun in soft snow), but they could never be my daily driver. Too soft for hard snow and crud. Don’t have any experience of any of the other BC models.

My go-to ski for almost anything is the Stöckli Stormrider 95. Enough float to be fun in powder, while having the muscle for crud and hard snow/ice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With Marker Griffen 13 ID ski bindings I am being quoted £820 but I am sure I could get it cheaper.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bigtipper, “ Maybe I should head to Decathalon, and get the cheapest AM ski? ”

Does not sound like the best plan to me
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worm hole alert! IMHO, if you want to learn to carve well, stay on piste skis. If your carving technique isn't solid, all mountain skis will make carving hardwork due to less sidecut and greater stiffness. Truly mastering carving takes a lot of lessons and snow time and if I'm honest, a rarely see a Brit whom has truly mastered it. I'll now duck the incoming fire. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So online Decathalon offers "Wedze FREERIDE SKI - PATROL 95 + BINDING TYROLIA ATTACK ² 11 AT DEMO
£349.99"

Which gives me a range of prices between £350-£820 to consider options.

I could look at second hand on ebay, which tends to offer some interesting deals if you are prepared to accept used skis. Prices vary in second hand section, but there are lots there, might need to add some new bindings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bigtipper, you get some of these nos or second hand offered across varying outlet https://www.topnsport.com/products/kastle-bmx-98-skis-doccasion-311043304 larger radius but very good ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiscot14 wrote:
Looking for a first set of skis, but it's a bit of a minefield.

That's because ski manufacturers are great at Marketing. And all mountain skis are what a large chunk of the punters want. Next group are the piste only skiers - smaller group but still very significant. And then way down all your niche types - tourers, park, fat powder... So anyway yeah, you will have a lot to choose from. And a lot of jargon thrown at you.

skiscot14 wrote:
I'm 22, 186cm & just over 75kg, intermediate, comfortable on reds+blacks and trying to improve carving, looking to ski more off piste, have messed around a bit off piste but nothing serious.

Classic all mountain skier case. One thing though is that often manufacturers will have very similar or same ski with varying waists - so for example the skis I have were manufactured in 87, 97 and 107 waists. Usually, it's not a biggy but if you do more off piste than on you naturally should go for wider. In my case I spent a couple of days on 87's, liked them but because I ski off piste as much as poss (and as a punter the snow gods don't always provide) I went with 97. There is not an holy grail, you just have avoid skis you wouldn't get on with and hopefully find something you do. I didn't demo 20 skis to get something that felt good. Far from it.

skiscot14 wrote:
Skis would mainly be used in Scotland and also hopefully abroad once a year. Not sure what length or width to go for, skied rental Volkl deacon 74s in 170 in Andorra earlier this season which felt fairly nice, don't know whether anything shorter would be a bad idea or not (been offered some Blizzards in 166 by a friend, unsure of model but pretty sure these would be too short) Would like to have for this season as planning to do a decent number of days snow permitting and don't fancy the hire queues and have had problems with my grip walk boots not being compatible with hire bindings.

Again, not an exact science but as Old Fartbag says something around 175.

One thing to bear in mind is transportation and servicing costs of having your own skis.

skiscot14 wrote:
Are there likely to be sales at beginning of Feb? Glisshop seem to have some decent deals atm

It's middle to peak of the ski season so wouldn't expect to get the best deals but glisshop and ekosport always have stuff at good prices IME.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy