Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post ACL surgery travel insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure which forum to stick this in but figured it's closest to this topic...

I had an ACL reconstruction last May and have fully recovered and am now fitter and healthier than I have been for 25 years or so. Trouble is, finding insurance for winter sports is proving tricky. Can anyone recommend a provider?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@imull, why would you even need to tell them? I wouldn't.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fully recovered, for me means i wouldnt say something to insurance company
Is not something that comes back from alone e.g. Epilepsie or whatever.

Theoretish you are in the same risk level with someone who hadnt ACL op in his life.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any travel policy I've had, has had a "treatment in last X years" clause on which you, at the least, need to phone their medical assessment team.

My son broke his arm, it needed no further treatment after it was set, but the insurance company still wanted a £10 loading during that policy year.

Theoretically, if you're the same risk level, you'd pay the same premium, so the insurance companies clearly have data that suggests you are higher risk. This may not be the obvious "your ACL is weaker" but could be a secondary effect - i.e. people who have claim for one thing, may tend to have more claims for other things. Maybe the way/time of year/places you ski increase your risk of injury, which showed itself through the ACL claim.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

That's all well and good until there's a problem. As Snowdave says, they ask for whether I've had in/out patient treatment in the last 2 years of which I have. A catastrophic failure of the ACL and reconstruction is hardly something they will overlook if I am unlucky enough to blow my knee out again or damage the now weakened hamstring. They'll walk into the sunset laughing at my choice to not declare it. Having had to pay once to fix it, I'm not in a position to pay twice...

I've been unfortunate enough to have to use travel insurance in the past and they didn't pick up a single penny worth of cover until they had seen my medical records. I can't understand why anyone would risk not telling them...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, i am sure mine was last 12months.

Thats the underwritters for Nationwide Flexplus which I can highly recommend. Thye als covered my knee after mensicus trim for the princely sum of £0. When that need to be added the following year, they sent me 2 letters warning me about the impending oagment they were going to take of £0.00. I did feel rather guilty at the cost to them of sending those....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowdave, ah, yes, that's fair enough.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there's a question, you absolutely have to answer it honestly. There are often questions about past claims and medical consultations/treatment. And the point that people who've claimed once are more likely to claim again is correct. I have had house insurance, like most people, for over half a century and hardly ever claimed whereas some people seem to feel entitled to new carpet throughout if they drop a glass of red wine.

Nationwide Flexplus are indeed good - but I have an understandably huge loading for my age and medical condition.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

Of all the stupid posts on SH this one takes the biscuit.

"under a new brain" would be better for you
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I managed to get snow sports travel insurance within 8 months of a fully severed patella tendon. The injury was early May, repair was late May, insurance was December.

You may need to go direct to the travel insurers because price comparison websites will typically not cover the extra risk and you may get a computer says no response.

The key to making it affordable for me was a sign off from a sports physio that I was ok to ski on it. The physio sent a letter to my doctor (copying me in) and then my doctor wrote me an ok to ski letter.

I provided the documentation to the insurance company and it ended up being about double my usual premium, I have renewed with them every year since so I don't have to go through the faff of the paperwork again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, I win!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, what do you want rich tea or digestive
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, chocolate digestives? Hobnobs?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I should have said that I wouldn't volunteer the information if not requested. But it's been years since I applied for that sort of travel insurance. I can't even recall if I had to fill out much of a form for our bank provided assurance.

I didn't intend to suggest that one hid such things however. But I am very surprised that such a common injury with +/- fewish insurance necessitating sequelae* would cause a big problem.

* I am uncomfortably aware that the outcomes are not always brilliant.
snow report
Had this problem last year - grade 3 calf tear skiing 6 months before renewing. Had no operative management. Dogtag were the only people who would give me world wide annual ski cover to include this - all the other usual suspects excluded the calf, and any injury related to the calf in the cover. It was more expensive than usual, and had a £600 excess just for a further injury to that calf, but as I was still having physio I didn't have a choice. Al the insurance companies asked me to do medical screening before offering cover (just a tick box exercise unless issues came up).

Have done a knee in the recent past and didn't have any issues with that; as I was completely discharged by the hospital most annual insurance was happy to cover me and it!
ski holidays
@imull, have you tried LV?

My experience with both family and personal winter sports insurance with them has been good. Always told them all about injuries, surgery etc. There have been quite a few of those, though not ACL reconstruction specifically.
latest report
@under a new name, the small print in travel insurance contracts might often include a cautionary note about undisclosed medical treatment.
snow report
I've claimed from LV= travel insurance for a broken arm, heli-evac, a helper to come out etc. and they were very good. The premium did go up this year but with some discussion, we agreed that I didn't need the Premium cover. I have a number of other medical conditions 'though no surgery. Give them a try at least and call rather than fill out an online form, even if it is more tedious. Of course, as mentioned, it'd be madness to conceal any relevant information.
snow conditions
@pam w, in which case one discloses it, non?

My point I guess really is that finding insurance can’t be too hard given the occurrence of ACL damage and recons.

If it’s a question of cost, travel insurance is way more expensive than it used to be. I think we were looking at >€400 each for annual - before my heart and knee ops.
ski holidays
Every policy I have looked at, has had a medical declaration form.

My advice joins others, who say be totally honest. The contract is one of "Utmost Good Faith", so if you do not declare something that they deem necessary - they can void the contract.

In my case - I suffer from Kidney stones. Last year, I declared that one had been removed (within the 2 year period), which generated an extra premium - which is slightly counterintuitive as the problem had been dealt with...but that's how they see it.

This year, I declared that a scan (which counted as "Medical Advice") showed a small, but stable stone. This did not generate an extra premium, but is listed on the policy as being covered.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
The contract is one of "Utmost Good Faith"

Not quite. Now replaced by Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/6/section/2/enacted

But it amounts to more or less the same thing.
snow report
DJL wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
The contract is one of "Utmost Good Faith"

Not quite. Now replaced by Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/6/section/2/enacted

But it amounts to more or less the same thing.

Thx.

My knowledge came from doing Law 100 years ago, when it was an "Uberrimae Fidei" contract.
snow conditions
Try Staysure travel insurance. They covered my ACL reconstruction with no additional premium. I can't recall if they needed anything from my consultant to say I was OK to ski.
snow conditions
Hamlet wrote:
Try Staysure travel insurance. They covered my ACL reconstruction with no additional premium. I can't recall if they needed anything from my consultant to say I was OK to ski.

I think they are the company that won't cover skiing On Piste, if there is a Level 3 avalanche risk (or above)....as checked out by several Snowheads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy