Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finale Ligure

Poster: A snowHead
Some friends invited us down for a mtn bike trip. What a great place! In addition to the fabulous mtn bike trails in the area it’s a cool little town with nice restaurants and shops, a pretty old town, beach for the kids. We’ll be back!

Entrance to the Final Borgo

Rode with a local guiding company with a van to minimize uphills. Great with kids snowHead

Although they are still big days!

Scenic

Recovery is important

Especially vitamins and minerals

And cleaning off the dust and mud!

Sure did!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, the rock climbing is amazing too! Used to be a regular haunt for me 10/15 years ago but haven’t been back for a while - Finalborgo is a cool place !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep amazing climbing. Some fun trad but I think it’s mostly noted for the bolted stuff. And the food is ok I guess.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, that all looks gorgeous, food and drink included!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, they missed the toast off your tuna melt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
drinking a Barolo 2018 in 2023 Puzzled
That's at least 3 years too early...
paired with tuna and burrata? Oh dear, oh dear...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my Morzine trip has been canceled due to a couple of the crews injuries Finale or Barcelona is the back up destination if bones have healed up
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How many meters of decent did you get in with the guide?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
How many meters of decent did you get in with the guide?

I think we did approx 3000m but it was very chilled with 9:30 starts, long lunch and finishing around 17:00 so the kids could hit the beach. You could basically ride from Sunrise to sunset if you wanted to. The guide was really flexible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mother hucker wrote:
my Morzine trip has been canceled due to a couple of the crews injuries Finale or Barcelona is the back up destination if bones have healed up

A strong recommendation for The White Room in Bourg St Maurice. StevoMcD, the owner is also a snowHead.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one! I was biking in Finale a few weeks back too - my idea of perfect trails and away from Nato Base no crowds and still felt like ‘adventure riding’.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

A strong recommendation for The White Room in Bourg St Maurice. StevoMcD, the owner is also a snowHead.

Be too late in the year for Alps when my mate will be fully healed up and fit
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aosta valley is the other Italian place I was recommended to try out
https://www.aostavalleyfreeride.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Aosta valley is the other Italian place I was recommended to try out
https://www.aostavalleyfreeride.com/

La Thuile is epic. And unlike any other "bike park" I've been to. Everything is tech. And most of it is steep. Great pizza and ice cream too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mother hucker wrote:
Kramer wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Be too late in the year for Alps when my mate will be fully healed up and fit

They do epic (mostly) uplifted backcountry weeks until the end of September. Proper big mountain riding.
snow report
+1 for the Whiteroom...despite having to spend a week with @Kramer Laughing

Finale Ligure is a great place, although does get very busy as it's basically to the Germans what Morzine is to UK riders. @BobinCH did you ride the Nato Base trails and Little Champery? All rather good.

@BobinCH, Aosta Valley is superb: more of a natural singletrack high-mountain vibe than Finale, orders of magnitude less busy and the trails are less chonky but so much fun. We did a couple of days with Aosta Valley Freeride a few years ago - great guiding and accommodation. They work closely with Scott and a lot of the recent bike release marketing material has been based there if you want to get a sense of the trails!
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:

Finale Ligure is a great place, although does get very busy as it's basically to the Germans what Morzine is to UK riders. @BobinCH did you ride the Nato Base trails and Little Champery? All rather good.

@BobinCH, Aosta Valley is superb: more of a natural singletrack high-mountain vibe than Finale, orders of magnitude less busy and the trails are less chonky but so much fun. We did a couple of days with Aosta Valley Freeride a few years ago - great guiding and accommodation. They work closely with Scott and a lot of the recent bike release marketing material has been based there if you want to get a sense of the trails!

Sure did. First day we started with a few laps fro
Nato Base. Then moved on to « Rollercoaster », « River », « Euforia » and several others! Alas last day was rained out so we have a reason to go back! Aosta also on the list and diable on a normal weekend as not as far.
snow report
@BobinCH, for you Aosta is a no-brainer: two of the trails pass through Etroubles on the St Bernard road. Bar Pila, everything (we did at least) is on the north side of the valley.
snow conditions
Did you have hurty hands after that lot? Certainly teaches you to hold a strong position on the bike! Which guide company did you use?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, how would you compare it to say the golfie/Innerleithen other than weather?
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Did you have hurty hands after that lot? Certainly teaches you to hold a strong position on the bike! Which guide company did you use?

https://www.backcountryfinale.com/

And our guide was Gregory, great guy and big hit with the girls snowHead
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq81cQSM6E_/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@BobinCH, how would you compare it to say the golfie/Innerleithen other than weather?

Sorry no idea Puzzled

Finale (and surrounds) has many trails in different sectors and different characteristics. From fast and flowing to tight and technical, challenging but not terrifying. They are quite long in length (over 650m descent for Rollercoaster!) and the van is waiting for you at the bottom to shuttle you back up to circa 1000m. Last run of the day ride all the way down to the beach for a few beers / gelato. Heaven snowHead
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:

@BobinCH, Aosta Valley is superb: more of a natural singletrack high-mountain vibe than Finale, orders of magnitude less busy and the trails are less chonky but so much fun. We did a couple of days with Aosta Valley Freeride a few years ago - great guiding and accommodation. They work closely with Scott and a lot of the recent bike release marketing material has been based there if you want to The place get a sense of the trails!

Scott has a large presence in the top end of the Aosta valley as evidenced by "The Place" in Aosta which is the essentially Scott MTBHQ Italy.
No one liking Pila bike park? great for a break or a complete alternative from the high mountain "sentiero selvaggio"
ski holidays
Yeah 'The Place' is owned and run by the guy who owns Aosta Valley Freeride. I've not ridden Pila but I have mates who've DH'd there in the past and loved it.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:

In summary, very different! I've raced the Inners trails (but not ridden Golfie). Inners is earthy, rooty and universally technical. Finale is rocky, sandy and as BobInch says; hugely variable from chill to hilariously tech. You pick up a lot more speed on the finale trails, less twisty than Inners.
latest report
@Sharkymark, is there plenty of grip at finale? what's it ride like in the wet?
snow report
@Mother hucker, lots of grip on the rocks. It can get loose in the dusty very well ridden sections but generally it's very confidence inspiring from that perspective. Never ridden Finale in the wet - generally they close the trails as it just erodes and the fine dust turns into a mud bath.
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
@Mother hucker, lots of grip on the rocks.

Those not covered in dust anyway Smile

We rode Isallo Ecstasy when the top half was wet (unexpected shower in the hilltops out back) and it was pretty damn greasy on the stones and roots, but out/up there the dirt is more normal forest ground than the dusty stuff lower down, so just a case of picking where to brake and all good (good learning moment for me that!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

We rode Isallo Ecstasy when the top half was wet (unexpected shower in the hilltops out back) and it was pretty damn greasy on the stones and roots, but out/up there the dirt is more normal forest ground than the dusty stuff lower down, so just a case of picking where to brake and all good (good learning moment for me that!).

After what felt like great grip on my new Minion DHF tires on the first day in dry conditions (including the dusty stuff down low), it rained overnight and on our second day (where we were a bit further inland) I found the rocks and roots very slippery!
ski holidays
Good overview here:

http://youtube.com/v/w6UD1IR-WhQ
ski holidays
If you like Finale but want to try something less busy, more natural trails (albeit steeper) then you should really try Molini di Triora.
snow conditions
Looks Great!
snow report
@Mother hucker, my view would actually be the opposite of @Sharkymark's. Finale is heinous in the wet. A lot of the rock is limestone or similar and becomes very greasy in the wet!

Finale is rad though. We go down a lot in the Autumn or early spring. Weather is usually great, but you get the odd wet day. It gets insanely hot in mid-summer!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Good overview here:
[snip]

Looks pretty awesome! Cool
Best mountain biking in the world though...I'm not so sure... Madeye-Smiley wink
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

After what felt like great grip on my new Minion DHF tires on the first day in dry conditions (including the dusty stuff down low), it rained overnight and on our second day (where we were a bit further inland) I found the rocks and roots very slippery!

Which compound Minions do you have?
MaxxGrip seems a lot more grippy on rocks and roots in the wet.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Good overview here:
[snip]

Looks pretty awesome! Cool
Best mountain biking in the world though...I'm not so sure... Madeye-Smiley wink

I saw it nicknamed “Whistler on sea” somewhere Very Happy
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

Which compound Minions do you have?
MaxxGrip seems a lot more grippy on rocks and roots in the wet.

Don’t know. Can you tell from this?
ski holidays
That's MaxxTerra, it's Maxxis "middle" level of grip. MaxxGripp (amazingly enough) has the most grip, but is also the softest tyre and wears out quickest. There is also MaxxRace which is the firmest high-end tyre, with the least grip but also the least rolling resistance.

All 3 are triple-compound tyres, with a firm-ish base layer of rubber, soft rubber on the edges and medium-ish rubber on the centre knobs. Maxxis also make dual compound tyres (just firm in the middle, medium-ish on the side knobs) and single-compound tyres.

They also all come in 2 different bead types (folding kevlar or rigid steel), at least 5 different sidewall types (single-ply, reinforced single-ply, extra-reinforced single-ply, so close to double ply but not quite double ply, actual double ply). Not to mention 26, 27.5 and 29" varieties.

All clear now?

Right, now try to order the exact combination of front and rear tyres individually specified by your crew of fussy bike guides....
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
@Mother hucker, my view would actually be the opposite of @Sharkymark's. Finale is heinous in the wet. A lot of the rock is limestone or similar and becomes very greasy in the wet!

Finale is rad though. We go down a lot in the Autumn or early spring. Weather is usually great, but you get the odd wet day. It gets insanely hot in mid-summer!

Conversely, I thought we're in violent agreement! As in they tend to shut it in the wet (well, very wet). I've only ridden there in the dry.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
That's MaxxTerra, it's Maxxis "middle" level of grip. MaxxGripp (amazingly enough) has the most grip, but is also the softest tyre and wears out quickest. There is also MaxxRace which is the firmest high-end tyre, with the least grip but also the least rolling resistance.

All 3 are triple-compound tyres, with a firm-ish base layer of rubber, soft rubber on the edges and medium-ish rubber on the centre knobs. Maxxis also make dual compound tyres (just firm in the middle, medium-ish on the side knobs) and single-compound tyres.

They also all come in 2 different bead types (folding kevlar or rigid steel), at least 5 different sidewall types (single-ply, reinforced single-ply, extra-reinforced single-ply, so close to double ply but not quite double ply, actual double ply). Not to mention 26, 27.5 and 29" varieties.

All clear now?

Right, now try to order the exact combination of front and rear tyres individually specified by your crew of fussy bike guides....

and DHR, DHR2, DHF, Assegai, Ardent,... Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy