Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iphone 14 crash detection on ski slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Intended to work for cars but apparently activating too much on ski slopes. (Apparently as this is the New York Post).

https://nypost.com/2023/01/14/apples-crash-detection-dials-911-when-skiers-take-a-tumble/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess from a phones perspective the two are very similar. One minute it's cruising along smoothly and then all of a sudden it's tumbling with high impact shocks and then stops moving.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Turned off!

Luckily it didn't trigger last week when I did an aerobatic sequence on Double M.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve left it on. It’s in my pocket, so I can check it if I crash but I’m ok. If I’m not ok, the call is acceptable.

There are a lot of road accidents and people skidding off roads into trees etc. I’ll accept the risk of leaving it on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Similar happened to me in 2020 in St. Anton - When sitting back in the pub after a day out on the slopes I noticed loads of texts from my brother and mum... turns out I had been sending them lots of alerts from my watch as it thought I had taken a fall rolling eyes ..... and ironically I hadn't even fallen over that day so it was just the motion of snowboarding that triggered it. I turned it off quick enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute ball-ache. People are already sufficiently paranoid if they don't hear from their "loved ones" every ten minutes without this. @Scarlet, what happens if you've had a crash on a ski slope, are unconscious, helpful passersby have called the ski patrol, who are in touch with the back up. What sort of extra hassle and work does the 911 call create? There are quite a lot of RTAs but not many when somebody skids unnoticed into a ditch and dies after three days in agony.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last Saturday the Bonner County Idaho sheriff’s office reported a 30% increase in 911 (emergency) calls due to skiers with these watches falling at nearby Schweitzer ski resort. Obviously an unsustainable situation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve triggered the fall detection on my Garmin watch a couple of times running, when I’ve fallen over. It gives you 30-seconds to disable the alarm, before it texts location to names contact.

I must admit I like the security when I’m running alone.

I’d assume Apple has similar delay/check before making the call.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, it’s localised, so it won’t be 911, or you’d have a point there. I don’t fall over on the piste very often, and it needs a certain force to trigger. I do ski off piste, often with just one buddy.

I don’t see it being a major problem, but if it is i can turn it off with a couple of clicks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Last Saturday the Bonner County Idaho sheriff’s office reported a 30% increase in 911 (emergency) calls due to skiers with these watches falling at nearby Schweitzer ski resort. Obviously an unsustainable situation.

Our overstretched emergency services are completely incapable of dealing with genuine emergencies, without adding a whole lot of spoofs. I don't have a big problem with "Help" messages being sent to wives and girlfriends, if people are comforted by that, but I'd be seriously opposed to automatic calls to 911.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, It does have a delay. But can you get to your phone in 30 secs if you are in a pile of powder, take your gloves off etc etc? Not sure I would every time. Likewise, on piste, it’s likely to be a yard sale fall that would trigger it so your first focus maybe making sure you are safe and your scattered equipment is not a danger to others.

Collected data will tell. Perhaps the elves at Apple can develop this so trigger one is made by the crash but it does not call for help until a period of nil motion for 60 secs. Somewhere buried in my iPhone is some sort of motion censor that I have yet to explore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, possibly not, but on my watch it’s one side button. Easy enough with gloves on.

Apple copying existing functionality but doing it slightly worse - again Toofy Grin

PS have an iPhone
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Boris, Sorry, not considered the watch angle. That’s a step to far for me!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so basically, a ski fall is as dangerous as a motor accident.
Not surprising. My other half had a bad whiplash injury when she wiped out once.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Felt to me like a solution looking for a problem. Disabled it immediately.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy